LT or GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

LT or GT

I have my second LT (2005) and do most of my riding locally but occasionally ride 2 up. I am thinking of switching to a GT mostly due to the size of the LT. I am 5'8" and at times the LT is a handfull. Has anyone done this switch and if so what is your feedback. Thanks Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 3:05 pm

Tony! If you go back through the threads over the last couple of months, I think that you will find that virtually all of the GT owners that are posting at this site have sold their LT's and replaced them with GT's. Go back and you will see alot of agonizing going on and all the associated mental gymnastics that go along with it. Personally I am looking at adding a GT to my stable, except instead of selling my LT which is a high milage 99 for which I could get very little, I will just add the GT. I am waiting for a dealer to actually have one in his show room that I can take out for a brief test ride before I put my money down. That way I will have a long distance two up tourer for my wife and myself but also a bike which will allow me to lose my license and have my insurance go up for being a hooligan.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Because most of my riding is 1-UP, switching to the GT only made sense. But that it not the only reason I made the switch. There are a host of others. The GT is an amazing bike...but I can't tell you if it would be right for you. You'll have to consult the man in the mirror. And your little lady. Mine gave me the thumbs up, and I was off to the dealer lickidy split!

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Hey Tony,

I also had 2 LT's with the last being a 2005. I am 5' 7" and do most of my riding locally with occasional trips to Colorado(from Houston). I switched to the GT recently and I really couldn't be happier. Not knocking the LT, but the GT is just easier to ride and a heck of alot more powerful. I do miss the top bag of the LT as I ride my bike to work most days(80mile round trip), and have to strap my gym bag to seat. I plan on getting top bag for the GT but have not come to grips with the $$ of that thing!! The other thing I think you will notice is more dirty noise on the GT, but really its not that bad and several folks on this site have gone with the CB windshield to couteract. I just raise mine a little and i'm fine as is.

As far as the ride of the GT, its just incredible IMO. I've had Harleys, CBR600's and the LT's and the GT is by far the best all around bike for my riding style. I will do some 2-up riding with the wife and daughter soon, so i'm anxious to see if they will share my enthusiasm of the GT. Good Luck!!
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOlMan
I will do some 2-up riding with the wife and daughter soon, so i'm anxious to see if they will share my enthusiasm of the GT.
Hmmm, I think that would be 3-up! Sorry to kid around, but seriously, I'd consider a GT as long as my sweetie would be comfy over the long haul. She has her own scoot and loves to ride, but sometimes we like to ride together. That Joe has been a good cheerleader for the GT!

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 7:35 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Because most of my riding is 1-UP, switching to the GT only made sense. But that it not the only reason I made the switch. There are a host of others. The GT is an amazing bike...but I can't tell you if it would be right for you. You'll have to consult the man in the mirror. And your little lady. Mine gave me the thumbs up, and I was off to the dealer lickidy split!
Joe:

Just wondering if your last sentence isn't reversed? Sorry, just couldn't resist!

Dick
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 9:31 am

Here is something that will interest Joe, 2nd row down
http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcvideos/videos.html
I myself will wait for the new LT, which will be a real bike !.
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 10:31 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Nah, that's the old, chubby GT. Besides, it says "subscription required" so you can't get to the good stuff anyway. Thanks for the link, though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in