GT maintenance & things - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 8:21 am Thread Starter

GT maintenance & things

I've been following all the posts about how great the new GT is. You guys are killing me! You've got me hankerin' for one so bad, but what concerns me is stuff like valve adjustments. I read an article where the valve clearance on those machines is now checked electronically. If that's the case, how often do you need to do that, how much is that going to cost, and how hard is it going to be to adjust the valves?

I love my LT, but after this 3k mile trip on my old Connie, I'm starting to realize that the sport-touring riding position is more of what I'm accustomed to. Sadly, what I find the main problem with my LT is (besides the weight), is that even with a Kontour seat, my tailbone begins to hurt after about 100 miles. I have never experienced that pain on my Connie. I can only contribute it to the more upright position of the LT vs the slight lean of the Connie. I suspect the GT would be more in line with what my body is used to.

Another question I would have to raise about the GT is insurance. Is it more expensive than the LT becuase of a) it's classification as a sport-tourer vs a touring bike, and b) because of it's horsepower?

Keep those reviews coming, and I'll keep reading 'em and dreaming.........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 9:13 am

First of all...do you want a 45 watt alternator for that Connie?!

But I digress...

As you may know, I wanted the GT to "try" to replace my LT and ZX-11. I'm just shy of 2K miles on the GT, and I can honestly say that I think it's going to be up to the challenge. Coming off of a Connie and an LT, I can only suspect that the GT would do the same for you. The GT's power is intoxicating. And it's smoothness and tourability (is that a word?) is wonderful. And the suspension? The best I've ever experienced.

As for the maintenance... Comparing it to the LT, it's going to be cheaper and easier. Yes, the valves are checked via the Motronic. But that's not to say that they can't be checked manually. And the nice thing about inline fours like this is how easy they are to work on. Oil changes are a snap. A little foreign the first time (dry sump)...but now that I've done two of them, a piece of cake! Taking off the Tupperware is very simple and quick compared to the LT. And the battery? Two screws and it's right there!

I don't know if I answered any of your questions, but I think the GT has your name written all over it. From a maintenance standpoint, you already have owned the most expensive. The GT has got to be cheaper and easier than the LT.

One last issue though...trying to be fair. The GT is going to go through tires faster than both of your current bikes.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Call me me crazy, but I kinda like the way you've reviewed your GT, Joe. Since you came off the Ninja, I figured you could relate the 2 better than most.

I've heard FJRs eat tires better fast too. I reckon ya pay to play.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
I've heard FJRs eat tires better fast too. I reckon ya pay to play.
For years, I replaced the rear tire on my V65s at 3800-4200 miles. Talk about expensive. And that's before you got the deals off the internet of today. I was paying RETAIL!!!
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
...is that even with a Kontour seat, my tailbone begins to hurt after about 100 miles. ...
Well, that is probably your problem. Get a better seat.

I don't own a GT, (yet), but I'd hate to see you dump the LT just because you have a bad seat.

George

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in