The new GT? Two words says it all! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation The new GT? Two words says it all!

Uncompromised refinement!

The only issue I had with the bike was the windshield. And we all know that BMW doesn't know how to design one of those. So, my new CB +6 +3 came today. (Thanks randy!) And now the bike is PERFECT! Folks!...I am in love!

My sincere hope is that BMW takes what they've done with this GT, and build on it to create the 'next' LT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 1:13 am
IBR# 366

Garage
What? You're not hoping for a V-6 LT?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 6:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Doesn't matter what the powerplant is, just so the "uncompromised refinement" is in there. This GT is so advanced, that the differences between it and the current LT are staggering.

This is, of course, just my opinion.

post #4 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 9:09 am
Bouncer

Joe can correct me if I am wrong about what he's saying, but I read this as that if you are riding an LT solo, you should give the new GT a look. It gives you many of the things you have on the LT, but better. Sure, it's missing the audio/intercom thing, but how many of us installed a third-party one anyway. The refinement, particularly in the powerplant and the new suspension, leave all previous BMW (and most motorcycles in general) in the dust.

As for the next-generation LT, my money is on the new slant-4 engine bored and stroked to 1300 or 1400cc. The idea that BMW will outsource an engine for their flagship product to Rotax (Bombardier) seems a bit ludicrous. The latest information that I've heard regarding the new LT are:
  • Bored and stroked slant-4 platform (probably 1300 or 1400cc)
  • Weight will be around 700 pounds (150 pounds lighter than the current version, and 80 pounds heavier than the GT).
  • It will be announced at the Intermot show in the fall of 2007 and arrive in the showrooms in spring of 2008 (this is almost a 1 year delay from the last report)
  • The platform is currently being tested in 3 formats (I don't know what that means -- it might mean different engine configs, maybe different body designs, who knows)
  • US Pricing will be targeted at "significantly less" than the Honda Goldwing.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #5 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:36 am

I'm getting goose bumps thinking about it.........

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #6 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
US Pricing will be targeted at "significantly less" than the Honda Goldwing.
great info, jeff
but, that last piont seems quite hard to believe
i was thinking that if BMW can get 22K for a FULL-BORE GT...
then they'll be looking for 25-26K for an LT with all the goodies

no?

how much are goldwings these days?
i don't even know

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'05 R1200GS
'02 K1200LT
live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #7 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
great info, jeff
but, that last piont seems quite hard to believe
i was thinking that if BMW can get 22K for a FULL-BORE GT...
then they'll be looking for 25-26K for an LT with all the goodies

no?
I agree. The new LT will have to be more expensive than the GT.
post #8 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

The only issue I had with the bike was the windshield. And we all know that BMW doesn't know how to design one of those. So, my new CB +6 +3 came today...
+6 +3 windshield? Did you remove the fairing and put it up front? That must be huge. Hope you can look over it.

Or is it that the stock GT windshield is very small?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 1:39 pm

Only a V-6

Quote:
Naw, let' dream a little, a V-8 based on the new engine, 45 to 60 degree bank, 300 hp, etc, etc
post #10 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 1:57 pm

Talking

Quote:

The only issue I had with the bike was the windshield. And we all know that BMW doesn't know how to design one of those. So, my new CB +6 +3 came today. (Thanks randy!) And now the bike is PERFECT! Folks!...I am in love!

My sincere hope is that BMW takes what they've done with this GT, and build on it to create the 'next' LT.
Joe,
Great to see you enjoying the GT so. I am wondering about something... One of the things I continually love about my '03 LT is the incredibly smooth motor, it's the smoothest mount I've ever ridden and seems to get better with miles. Does the GT motor feel as smooth as the LT, or is it just too hard to compare the two engines?

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #11 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 2:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Let's just hope they use that 1 year delay to fix and refine the things that creeped through in the first generation LT. No more Motronic swaps, throttle cable upgrades, bearing failures, plus offer an audio + intercom + CB/FRS interface that works, with direct iPod connection, etc. And losing 150 lbs while increasing power, smoothness, and reliability is always a good thing.

And where are the spy shots?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 3:12 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Let's just hope they use that 1 year delay to fix and refine the things that creeped through in the first generation LT. No more Motronic swaps, throttle cable upgrades, bearing failures, plus offer an audio + intercom + CB/FRS interface that works, with direct iPod connection, etc. And losing 150 lbs while increasing power, smoothness, and reliability is always a good thing.

And where are the spy shots?
In reality, if the next-gen LT were to use the same platform that gave birth to the K1200S (like the R and GT), the LT would be the 4th generation of that platform. While only being 3 years old, most of the bugs will have been ironed out. Unlike the existing LT, which followed it's speedier sibling (the RS) only by a year, the next-gen LT will have had the benefit of 3 bike using the same platform first.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #13 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 4:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetomotor
Does the GT motor feel as smooth as the LT, or is it just too hard to compare the two engines?
Yes, the engines are VERY hard to compare. But if one was to ride the GT like you ride an LT, the engines are comparably smooth. Last night, the little lady and I went out for dinner on the GT. With my new CB shield, I really had a chance to hear the motor purr. Incredible! And I also finally learned how to adjust the suspension (ESA) for 2-up w/ luggage. BUTTER! Better than the LT ever rode. Most bumps are simply not felt anymore. My wife is really enjoying that.

Next Monday, we'll be riding the GT 2-up on a 700-mile trip. That will be the GT's true road-test regarding 2-up touring. Come Tuesday, expect the full review. If it does as well as I'm hoping, I'll be one happy camper!
post #14 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Quote:
Next Monday, we'll be riding the GT 2-up on a 700-mile trip. That will be the GT's true road-test regarding 2-up touring. Come Tuesday, expect the full review. If it does as well as I'm hoping, I'll be one happy camper!
this will be the most important review for me
i'm eagerly anticipating your words
please be careful

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'05 R1200GS
'02 K1200LT
live like you mean it...
post #15 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 5:12 pm
Bouncer

Greg,

Are you just dying for your GT or what? You've been reading all this stuff and waiting for yours to arrive at the dealer. Any update on when yours will show up?

-
post #16 of 24 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Greg,

Are you just dying for your GT or what?
I have a small feeling just how this will play out. By the time Greg takes delivery, his expectations are going to be so high, that no bike could meet them. But slowly (approximately 1K miles), he'll get to know the bike, and understand it. And...like you and I, he will just be grinning from ear to ear with each new mile.

Last night, I got home and wiped it off from the rain. Bonding moment...you know. Looked at my clothes and realised how little was wet ('cept my boots, but they're waterproof). And once again was confirmed that I made the right choice. Great bike!

Hey GREG! Tick . . . . . Tock . . . . . . . . . . . .Tick . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ToooooooooCK!
post #17 of 24 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 2:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetomotor
Joe,
Great to see you enjoying the GT so. I am wondering about something... One of the things I continually love about my '03 LT is the incredibly smooth motor, it's the smoothest mount I've ever ridden and seems to get better with miles. Does the GT motor feel as smooth as the LT, or is it just too hard to compare the two engines?
No the GT engine is not as smooth as the LT. The GT is very fast. You don't have to turn the trottle much to hit 80. I have an 05 LT Then I bought a GT WOW what a difference in ride and power. I like my LT better, as a matter fact. I traded the 06 GT for a 06 RT. It seems to be closer to the LT than the GT. Getting off the LT and riding the GT was just too much change
post #18 of 24 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samleaddrop
No the GT engine is not as smooth as the LT.
I think we bought totally different models. And I don't see how you can say that a twin (the RT) is closer to the LT, than the 4-cylinder GT. It just doesn't make any sense. But then again...it doesn't have to. You're happy. I'm happy. Who cares.
post #19 of 24 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Greg,

Are you just dying for your GT or what? You've been reading all this stuff and waiting for yours to arrive at the dealer. Any update on when yours will show up?
jeff....
i'm so confused about the words from the dealer, that i don't know what to say
NOW he tells me that my bike (which has my name on it) will be a 2007 model and won't be made until AFTER the BMW vacation
they tell me that they can't get me a bike any earlier

jeff...
you know me well, in that i have ALWAYS been very loyal to my dealer... they have become my friends over time. i know that there might be other 2006 bikes available to me. i really don't know what to do

the whole situation is driving me crazy. i've parked the LT for good, not wanting to put any more miles on it before it's traded in on the GT (whenever that will be)

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'05 R1200GS
'02 K1200LT
live like you mean it...
post #20 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:32 pm
fas

Cool Gt Vs Lt

I took my gal with me for test ride #2 of the new GT today. My pal at the dealer let us run it for over 3 hours. Yes, the throttle is really responsive. If the man who bought my 02 LT on EBAY shows Wednesday AM, the GT comes home Thursday. My wife, who has been hanging on the back of my bikes since 1971 said she likes the ride. Her only fuss was no music. That's easy to fix. I love how nimble the GT is in traffic. Dropping that 300# helps too. I am a GT convert. The LT is kinda like a great old girl friend who suddenly got too heavy. The GT suspension is silky smooth. It is REALLY easy to be going triple digits with no idea how fast you are really going.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #21 of 24 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
The GT suspension is silky smooth.
Did you know how to set it up for '2-Up w/ luggage'? That's the way my wife and I ride...then I set it to 'Comfort', and it is nothing short of unbelievable!
post #22 of 24 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 6:39 pm

My curiosity is up so I keep reading your posts on the GT. For you guy's waiting on yours there's one with 900 miles on it on ebay auction # 270002228618,Silver, maybe someone will get it from this site that wants one bad enough, not mine and don't know the folks. I still love my LT too much too even consider the GT. I don't need a crotch rocket, I love my stereo and CD's, Tunes are it! Besides it's so relaxing on that "big beautiful old broad" yeah she's fat but who cares, she's racey enough to keep me happy! Shhhh, don't tell Susan, she won't loose weight if she knows I love fat bikes! If she looses 10 more pounds think of the farkles I could replace it with!!!!

Item number: 270002228618

Brian A. Brodhead
God created all men, Samuel Colt made them equal

2005 BMW K1200LT Goldie goodtime plastic fm rock'n roamer
1975 Triumph T160 750 restored "Heather" For Sale
post #23 of 24 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 8:00 am

How does the CG of the GT compare to the LT? Is there a significant improvement in handling at low speeds?
post #24 of 24 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 9:13 am
Bouncer

Does a 14' turning radius without much effort mean much?

-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in