New GT - Nah! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 5:47 pm Thread Starter

New GT - Nah!

Just traded the most fantastic bike I ever owned, my 2004 GT for a new LT. After my buddy was killed on his I decided to go a bit slower and get an LT. I saw the new GT today. Compared to my old one it looks more like a crotch rocket than a BMW. Yes it has more techno stuff and nice panniers, but the rest has no style. What a shame. The riding position is more like an RT and not the sports tourer like I owned. I'm definitely pleased that I got an LT.

Sorry ...it's just me!

Birdman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:35 pm

The funny thing is . . .

Time and time again, I considered selling my Ninja and getting a GT (the old version). I was constantly being talked OUT of it. The older GT had nice styling...but that's about where it all began and ended! All I heard was how heavy the steering was, and that the bike was a dog in the twisties! Your ex-bike was nothing but a sad stop-gap until the engineers could present us real sport-tourers with a functional bike.

With each passing mile, I can't believe how much more refined this bike is than the LT. The suspension is nothing short of AMAZING! I am thoroughly impressed.
post #3 of 26 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:18 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
With each passing mile, I can't believe how much more refined this bike is than the LT. The suspension is nothing short of AMAZING! I am thoroughly impressed.
Joe, Joe, Joe....not quite an "apples-to-apples" comparison....doesn't your LT have the original stock shocks and 44K+ miles???

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 1:02 am

You'll see Ted. My LT NEVER felt the way this bike feels. NEVER! The way it takes bumps with the wife and I aboard is miraculous. And then to be able to switch to a 'SPORT' setting on the fly is so cool.

You'll see Ted...you'll see.
post #5 of 26 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 3:02 am
Ted

Well, to be perfectly honest, I'm AFRAID to see! Which is why I am puttin' some new shoes and new Ohlins on my '03 as we speak, or type, as it may be. (Actually, tires are going on now and Ohlins have been ordered, but haven't arrived).

Didn't even go into the showroom when I dropped the bike off this morning - from what you all have said I know if I see it I'll buy it....and a new bike just aint in the budget right now...

Just keep those posts coming so I can get a little taste!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 1:57 pm

Smile

The saying is "There is an Ass for every seat "

It's all about choice and that's one of the things that makes our way of life and the free enterprize system so wonderful!!

I would never own either the new or old GT model as it never appealed to me.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #7 of 26 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 6:06 pm

I might consider replacing the Sprint ST with a GT, but a GT can't replace the LT. If they build and LT with that cool suspension and new motor, that is what I think most of us are waiting for. Cindy tried the pillion seat on the new GT, it is NOT as comfy as the LT. The GT is a much better sport-touring bike than most, but it's not an LT. I hope that the styling of the new LT will not be so angular and utilitarian, the current LT is svelte.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #8 of 26 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
I hope that the styling of the new LT will not be so angular and utilitarian, the current LT is svelte.
The current LT is a LOT of things...but "svelt"?!
SVELT?!?!
post #9 of 26 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 6:57 pm

Quote:
The current LT is a LOT of things...but "svelt"?!
SVELT?!?!

Yes, spelling aside, the LT is SVELTE.

"Slender or graceful in figure or outline"

Not very "slender", but certainly "graceful in figure or outline"

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 26 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 7:34 pm

Oops...major typo!

Yes...it was the "slender" part of svelte that I was chuckling about. I like the term "bulbous" better.
post #11 of 26 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Oops...major typo!

Yes...it was the "slender" part of svelte that I was chuckling about. I like the term "bulbous" better.

Eh...is Dolly Parton a baaad thang????
post #12 of 26 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:53 pm

Quote:
Oops...major typo!

I've always thought the term "Rubenesque" (referring to the Old Master who painted large/curvaceous women) applied perfectly to the LT. The LT certainly is no anexoric bean pole model, and she's a heck of a lot better-proportioned than Dolly Parton.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #13 of 26 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 4:01 am

I rode the GT from Yuma Arizona to San Diego yesterday. I went through the mountains near Mt. Palomar, lots of twisting turns.

I am very, very, happy I traded in the LT. The LT is limousine. The GT is a sports car.

I took a 4200 mile trip on the LT this month and decided to trade it in. The LT is a bear to handle in slow situations. I was in Deadwood, South Dakota, where there were people walking the the streets where I needed to suddenly stop multiple times. The LT is a not a bear, it is a Moose to handle at slow speeds.
post #14 of 26 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 5:28 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg
Eh...is Dolly Parton a baaad thang????
Only when she sings, or speaks in that funny little-girl voice.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 26 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I've always thought the term "Rubenesque" (referring to the Old Master who painted large/curvaceous women) applied perfectly to the LT. The LT certainly is no anexoric bean pole model, and she's a heck of a lot better-proportioned than Dolly Parton.

Yeah, buttt....uh...wish the LT had headlights as good as Dolly!!!
post #16 of 26 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Yes but Joe!

Quote:
The funny thing is . . .

Time and time again, I considered selling my Ninja and getting a GT (the old version). I was constantly being talked OUT of it. The older GT had nice styling...but that's about where it all began and ended! All I heard was how heavy the steering was, and that the bike was a dog in the twisties! Your ex-bike was nothing but a sad stop-gap until the engineers could present us real sport-tourers with a functional bike.

You never rode the "old GT". It is a fantastic bike and handles very well. Whilst I'm sure that the new GT is an improved version, it still looks like Bangle now works for Motorrad. SOB stuffed up the cars, now he's going to have a go at the bikes - aaarrrgh!
post #17 of 26 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman
You never rode the "old GT". It is a fantastic bike and handles very well. Whilst I'm sure that the new GT is an improved version, it still looks like Bangle now works for Motorrad. SOB stuffed up the cars, now he's going to have a go at the bikes - aaarrrgh!
Yes, I have ridden the "old GT". It did NOT handle "very well". "OK" maybe...but not very well. And it cracks me up the way you OLD SKOOL GT guys are whining about the new styling, and making statements as if they were FACTS. You think the new GT is ugly...fine. But that's an opinion. And a bad one at best! Besides...you're from South Africa. What the heck do you know about styling?! I haven't seen any amazingly styled bikes come from South Africa lately!
post #18 of 26 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 6:58 am

Joe:

Remember.....different strokes for different folks! I test rode the GT two months ago. My ass was numb after a 40 mile ride. Certainly not the comfort that my four LT's have provided. Loved the handling and power, but......like others here, for me the LT is my cup of tea. What's really the important point here is that you love your GT and I love my LT!

Dick........159,000 happy LT miles.
post #19 of 26 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 7:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRothermel
Joe:

Remember.....different strokes for different folks!

[snip]

What's really the important point here is that you love your GT and I love my LT!
Oh great! How am I supposed to argue with that crap?! Could you go back and edit your post? (Something that makes less sense please?!)
post #20 of 26 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 9:52 pm
fas

Cool Lt Vs Gt

After 16,438 miles on the 2002 K1200LTC, I helped the new owner load it on his trailer today. It now lives in Georgia. The new owner bought it from me off eBay for $12,000. After two different days of GT test rides without and with the SO, I like the suspension of the new GT SO much better. Low speed handling is WAY better. Being a city commuter, I am looking forward to the GT. Should pick it up Saturday morning. Then I'll change this signature.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #21 of 26 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:44 pm

i have no doubt the gt is one of the most advanced motorcycles on the planet.

but as far as looks, i wouldn't hit my dawg in the butt with one.

only one man's opinion, of course ...
post #22 of 26 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 7:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, I have ridden the "old GT". It did NOT handle "very well". "OK" maybe...but not very well. And it cracks me up the way you OLD SKOOL GT guys are whining about the new styling, and making statements as if they were FACTS. You think the new GT is ugly...fine. But that's an opinion. And a bad one at best! Besides...you're from South Africa. What the heck do you know about styling?! I haven't seen any amazingly styled bikes come from South Africa lately!
At least we never designed the Harley Davidson!!! America did that!!!
post #23 of 26 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman
At least we never designed the Harley Davidson!!! America did that!!!
And what a marvelous design it is. It's just not functional!
post #24 of 26 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 7:31 pm

Justification for our decisions and actions is only second to our ability to ________ (fill in the blank time)!
post #25 of 26 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 8:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leckhart
Justification for our decisions and actions is only second to our ability to ________ (fill in the blank time)!
Not care about quoting a vacant mind?!?!?
post #26 of 26 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 9:34 am

Excellent Joe!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in