Plug and Play Interface for GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:32 pm Thread Starter

Plug and Play Interface for GT

Has anyone found a plug and play interface used to trip a relay that will work with the GT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:11 am
Bouncer

Nope, but you could use the parking light as the source for the relay. We have power going from the battery to my Centech AP-1 and are using an automotive relay (one of those newfangled ones with a diode to make sure power goes one way only) from the parking light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Nope, but you could use the parking light as the source for the relay. We have power going from the battery to my Centech AP-1 and are using an automotive relay (one of those newfangled ones with a diode to make sure power goes one way only) from the parking light.
Two Questions-
1. How did you get to parking light wiring?
2. If I go into an automotive part store, do I just ask for an automotive relay with a diode, or is it called something else?

Thanks for your help

post #4 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:34 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Actually, there is a plug & play adapter for this. Look here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:45 am
Senior Member (ret.)

post #6 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:46 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Steve bought one of these and I just sent him an email to look for the pilot light.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 1:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Steve bought one of these and I just sent him an email to look for the pilot light.
Thanks Raffy, I have now found the pilot light and now I'm trying to figure out if I can get to it without removing the fairing.
post #8 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 1:03 am

Question

Raffy,

Has there really been issues with tripping a relay from a source like the parkling light, without the use of a diode? Also, does the wiring interface kit's connector work on the new GT, as well?
post #9 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 8:01 am
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Actually, there is a plug & play adapter for this. Look here.
That plug and play adapter will not work on the GT unless you're willing to cut it up and splice it in.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #10 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 8:05 am
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaLT
Two Questions-
1. How did you get to parking light wiring?
2. If I go into an automotive part store, do I just ask for an automotive relay with a diode, or is it called something else?

Thanks for your help
Me, being the person who believes a fully-stocked tool kit consists of a cell phone and a credit card, had my mechanic do the install. Getting to the parking light wiring is a pain, and of course, BMW made sure the GT's parking light setup was completely different than the others (which can use Jim Lawson's setup sold by Raffy).

You want an automotive relay that allows power to only flow in one direction. Since the parking lights are monitored by the computer, you don't want to chance any kind of electrical flow back into the system via the parking lamp. So if you use one of those newfangled automotive relays with a diode, you should be fine.

-
post #11 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 9:13 am

Quote:
Has anyone found a plug and play interface used to trip a relay that will work with the GT?
Have your local BMW dealer order part number 83 300 413 585 for you. It's a connector (complete with wires)that plugs into a connector that BMW provided for us, near the battery. If you wire your relay to wires 1 (ground) and 3, you will get 12 volts to power your relay, with delayed off, just like the accessory socket. Then use the relay to switch power from the battery to an accessory fuse panel. I think this connector was originally provided for GPS power, as wire two is speed pulses, so we don't use it in this application.

Check this link for further details and pictures (note the early confusion about the part number, but the part number above works in USA)
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...8&page=3&pp=10

I have mine connected this way, and it works great. The only downside, is my PIAA lights stay on for twenty or thirty seconds after engine shutdown if I don't shut them off with the switch.

I used a six fuse panel, one circuit for the PIAA's, two circuits for heated gear, one circuit for future horn (after I figure out where to put one), one circuit for electronics, and one spare.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #12 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 9:34 am
Bouncer

Ruben,

I was thinking the same thing, but when I talked to the dealer and a few other people knowledgeable about the CANBUS system and the circuit monitoring that goes on with the computer, we decided against this approach. I am running my Radar Detector, GPS, Autocom, and Satellite Radio currently through my AP-1, and there was some concern that the GT's computer would deactivate that electrical port if it read too much current draw. There have been reports that since the 6.0 software update, BMW has reduced the amount of current available through the accessory sockets. When a fault is registered, that port is shut down until the error is reset when the bike is started again. The parking lights are not part of that current draw monitoring.

-
post #13 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:45 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Jeff and others:

Here is the thread on www.k-bikes.com forum that shows that the Plug N Play I/F can be installed on a 2006 GT without cutting wires. Not perfect as the post says but it can be done.

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5054

The particular post:

"I'm taking switched power from the parking light, but rather than tapping into the wiring for fear of upsetting the CANbus, I'm using a "plug 'n play" interface. It is not perfect because it was not designed for the GT specifically, and the result is that the parking light bulb doesn't extend into the parking lamp housing as far as it should, but it's functional.

As an alternative, you might want to take a look at this thread (links to another thread when you are in k-bikes.com) for a different idea.
__________________ Bud 2006 K1200GT - Graphite"

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #14 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Ruben,

I was thinking the same thing, but when I talked to the dealer and a few other people knowledgeable about the CANBUS system and the circuit monitoring that goes on with the computer, we decided against this approach. I am running my Radar Detector, GPS, Autocom, and Satellite Radio currently through my AP-1, and there was some concern that the GT's computer would deactivate that electrical port if it read too much current draw. There have been reports that since the 6.0 software update, BMW has reduced the amount of current available through the accessory sockets. When a fault is registered, that port is shut down until the error is reset when the bike is started again. The parking lights are not part of that current draw monitoring.
My mechanic was a bit reluctant too, until he looked into it. The ONLY current that flows through the monitored wire is enough to energize the relay coil. Everything else comes off the fuse block, which comes direct off the battery.

As the lawyer said on the way down, as he was falling from the top of the 100 story skyscraper building, "so far, so good".

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #15 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:10 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

To add even more to this thread, I received wiring harness kits made by Powerlet that allows one to 'fool' the CANbus and allow to draw more than the 3-5 amps at the outlets.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...an_harness.php Install instructions available in PDF format through the above link.

Raffy
post #16 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:17 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben
My mechanic was a bit reluctant too, until he looked into it. The ONLY current that flows through the monitored wire is enough to energize the relay coil. Everything else comes off the fuse block, which comes direct off the battery.

As the lawyer said on the way down, as he was falling from the top of the 100 story skyscraper building, "so far, so good".
D'oh! I get it. You used the switched power from the BMW plug for the relay. Got it. Mongo slow.

-
post #17 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 1:27 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
You might look at my post Canbus 101 in this forum.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #18 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 4:47 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
To add even more to this thread, I received wiring harness kits made by Powerlet that allows one to 'fool' the CANbus and allow to draw more than the 3-5 amps at the outlets.

http://www.powerletproducts.com/prod...an_harness.php Install instructions available in PDF format through the above link.
This kit will not work on the GT, as it uses a powerlet outlet with a different connector. It would work if you bought an older style powerlet plug. It works fine on the K1200S as it still has the older style connector.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #19 of 19 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 5:36 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in