Triple digits! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 7:04 pm Thread Starter

Cool Triple digits!

OK...OK...enough of the silence already! The new GT is a sport-tourer dang it! And I know I'm not the only speed junkie that owns one, so I'm breaking the silence. But I want to hear your stories as well.

Today I got my 600-mile service completed so I decided that it was time to open her up a little on a few open roads. The area I selected was pretty good...but not enough distance. SO I did the best I could with what I had to work with.

I got the GT into triple digits on many occasions today. Twice, I managed between 145 and 150 indicated. (I don't have the GPS installed yet.) I must say that I was impressed at how fast the GT gets to 140, and how much more I'd like to believe is left. I'm guessing we could see 170, given enough room.

And if eljeffe's reports of the speedo being accurate is true (no reason to doubt), than I'm really happy with these figures. Boys!...this bike can run!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 7:33 pm

Yup, it hauls!!!

I KNOW that it'll do the speed limit!!

Actually, I doubt that it'll do much over 160 MPH, more likely 155ish, except under ideal conditions (tail wind, downhill?) Still, thats fast enough to get REALLY scolded by a LEO if observed.

The real question, is it speed limited, or only RPM limited?

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben
I'll let ya know . . . soon.

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:12 pm

Wink You Decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben
Yup, it hauls!!!

I KNOW that it'll do the speed limit!!

Actually, I doubt that it'll do much over 160 MPH, more likely 155ish, except under ideal conditions (tail wind, downhill?) Still, thats fast enough to get REALLY scolded by a LEO if observed.

At 142 indicated, rpms were at 9000. You decide...rpm limited?
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:30 pm

There was a review written after test rides in South Africa. That fellow indicated he had it up to 170 MPH.
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaLT
There was a review written after test rides in South Africa. That fellow indicated he had it up to 170 MPH.
I can believe it. It was still pulling very strong over 145mph. And I am no stranger to these speeds.
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:52 pm
Bouncer

Joe,

I won't disclose my speed on the Red River trip, but I would concur with your observations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:36 am
IBR# 366

Garage
That's well into triple digits. But the real question is, is it faster than your Ninja?

BTW, you still suck.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
That's well into triple digits. But the real question is, is it faster than your Ninja?
I can honestly say that my Ninja felt more "refined" or comfortable at those speeds. Not that the GT is uncomfortable...it's kinda hard to put into words. The GT actually has a more intoxicating sensation that comes along with higher RPMs, and higher speeds. It's kinda as if you kicked a big hornet's nest. It just sounds and feels TICKED OFF!!! And I love it.

It's because of these differences in sensation, that the GT and Ninja are really hard to compare. The GT actually feels like it pulls harder in 6th gear, from 80 to 100mph. But it could just be the "ticked-off hornet's nest" phenomenon at work.

All I do know is that I think the GT is going to do a great job at replacing my two bikes...and morphing them into one, well-rounded sport-tourer.
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 9:27 am

I let my wife ride mine for a bit the other day while I was trying to diagnose a handlebar vibration problem in her bike. She promptly took off like a shot. When I finally caught up to her at the next intersection, she was just glowing.

Her comments: "My God, this thing ROCKS. I hit 140, and it was still accelerating like a rocket! I'd have gone faster, but I ran out of road."

These youngsters, you just can't let them out of your sight for a minute! (Yes, she's several years younger than me)

Of course, I never ride like that!

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:44 am

I would agree with all the comments above. My GT just comes alive after 7k rpm, its like a totally different animal. As for top speed.........135 was pretty easy and if there was more road........who knows???

I ride the bike almost everyday and am very pleased with the performance and comfort. I've had two LT's before and this bike is so much more fun to ride!!
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 6:53 pm

Speed

I Just Got Rid Of My Old 03 Gt. W/ The Gps On That One I Did 149 Mph With About 3-400 Rpms Before Red Line Give Or Take 100. Going To Fast To Look Hard. Did That For A Few Miles ( West Texas ). My New 06 Gt Will, I Think, Do That And Much More. Been 135 On It No Problem. Looking At The Rpms @ 135 I Don't Think It Will Do More Than 160 Ish Befor The Red

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in