J-pegs for GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Question J-pegs for GT

Just looking at the pics, there doesn't seem to be a place to add J-pegs or something similar on the GT. For LD riders this is a real comfort. Can J-pegs or similar be added to the GT?

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:35 pm

"REAL" sport-tourers and highway pegs don't mix. Sorry. (Like taking a shower with a raincoat.) You'll have to stick with a luxury tourer if this is an issue.
post #3 of 17 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 6:00 pm

I like the J-Pegs on my LT; but find nearly as much relief hooking my heels onto the passenger pegs for a few miles. Works great on the LT & GS- haven't tried on GT; but, suspect it works great, as long as you're not two-up!

post #4 of 17 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
"REAL" sport-tourers and highway pegs don't mix. Sorry. (Like taking a shower with a raincoat.) You'll have to stick with a luxury tourer if this is an issue.
That may be true and I agree. Nevertheless, 1000 mile days require the rider (especially me) to stretch, and move around on the bike while riding. I personally would like to have a long distance sports/touirng bike that weighs in at around 600+ pounds, instead of 800+ pounds. Also, I would like to have one with a dependable final drive. The nice thing about J-PEGs, is that they retract and you can become a fighter pilot when you want to , but can also become a couch potato when you need to be.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #5 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Hi Dick! Take a look at www.sampson-sporttouring.com. They have pegs for the ST1300 and FJR 1300 that look like they require some modifications to attach (it looks like from the diagram that they actually drill through the ferring and attach them to the frame) but considering the types of bikes these are, it doesn't look like it would be that difficult to modify them to fit a GT. It might be worth giving these guys a call. Ron
post #6 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 7:34 pm

Like a jock on a chicken!

post #7 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
That may be true and I agree. Nevertheless, 1000 mile days require the rider (especially me) to stretch, and move around on the bike while riding. I personally would like to have a long distance sports/touirng bike that weighs in at around 600+ pounds, instead of 800+ pounds. Also, I would like to have one with a dependable final drive. The nice thing about J-PEGs, is that they retract and you can become a fighter pilot when you want to , but can also become a couch potato when you need to be.
I recently did 750 miles on the LT in about 13+ hours. Not trying for any record but got bottled up in the Atlanta, GA mess, and stopped fairly often. This is my high miles day on the LT or any bike. It has never happened to me before but aroud 600 miles my thighs started to ache. A dull ache, akin to a headache if that makes any sense. I don't have Jpegs on the LT, always thought they were ridiculous. Extending my legs, albeit into the wind, felt like heaven, every now and then. So much for my opinion of Jpegs. And while I agree with Joe, at my age comfort important and my GT is a reasonably good substitute for my LT, but am a bit wary to do 1000 or even 500 mile days just yet. Awaiting new seat; Cee Bailey windscreen much better than stock. Getting JPegs for the LT ASAP and I don't care if they look ridiculous, JPegs would go on the GT in a heartbeat.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #8 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 9:56 pm

Quote:
If the LT can be ridden like a "real" sport bike, then a GT owner can put whatever the heck he wants to on his bike: Jpegs, Mick-o-Pegs, Highway Ottomans, landing lights, 12m ham radio antenna, espresso machine...

A shower with a raincoat is like socks on a chicken, but highway pegs on any bike where the rider needs them is "enabling".

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #9 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
If the LT can be ridden like a "real" sport bike, then a GT owner can put whatever the heck he wants to on his bike: Jpegs, Mick-o-Pegs, Highway Ottomans, landing lights, 12m ham radio antenna, espresso machine...

A shower with a raincoat is like socks on a chicken, but highway pegs on any bike where the rider needs them is "enabling".
Joe, just being Joe, now that he has a GT and has abandoned his LT comrades!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #10 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Joe, just being Joe, now that he has a GT and has abandoned his LT comrades!
and he knows I'm kidding.

Once the LT is SOLD and gone completely he won't even be speaking to us mere mortals.

Hmmmmmm.....

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #11 of 17 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:38 pm

Quote:
and he knows I'm kidding.

Once the LT is SOLD and gone completely he won't even be speaking to us mere mortals.

Hmmmmmm.....
I will ALWAYS be an LT owner at heart. And one never knows what to expect outta "the mess" when the '08 LT shows up on the showroom floor.
post #12 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:23 pm

Quote:
I will ALWAYS be an LT owner at heart. And one never knows what to expect outta "the mess" when the '08 LT shows up on the showroom floor.
We appreciate that Joe, but as happy as you are -- so far -- with the '06 GT do you really see yourself going back to an LT... or will you have 2 bikes again?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #13 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Quote:
We appreciate that Joe, but as happy as you are -- so far -- with the '06 GT do you really see yourself going back to an LT... or will you have 2 bikes again?
My LT is paid off as of today. Yippee! And when it sells, I will put that money on the GT and refinance. It is my goal to pay it off as quickly as possible. In 2008, I will be prepared, once again, to sign on the dotted line for a GSA. But who knows. If the next LT is all that, I might trade the GT for it. Options! Ya gotta love em!
post #14 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 9:20 pm

Hi Dick...
I'm with you. I am a sport bike rider but also find highway pegs useful for IBA type riding. But I hasten to add that they never do much good unless you have a backrest to go with them. It is a very uncompromising position to stretch your legs out without any back support. I have ridden a ST1300 with highway pegs and a backrest and that worked great on IBA runs. However, this GT does not lend itself to highway pegs in any way as far as I can see. As was suggested above, you can use the passenger pegs for a position change and that works pretty good, too. And the ergonomics of this GT are really well done, IMHO. When winter comes, I may send the seat out to Russell. If you really want the secret to long distance comfort... they give you what you need.
1downfourup
post #15 of 17 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:44 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1downfourup
Hi Dick...
I'm with you. I am a sport bike rider but also find highway pegs useful for IBA type riding. But I hasten to add that they never do much good unless you have a backrest to go with them. It is a very uncompromising position to stretch your legs out without any back support. I have ridden a ST1300 with highway pegs and a backrest and that worked great on IBA runs. However, this GT does not lend itself to highway pegs in any way as far as I can see. As was suggested above, you can use the passenger pegs for a position change and that works pretty good, too. And the ergonomics of this GT are really well done, IMHO. When winter comes, I may send the seat out to Russell. If you really want the secret to long distance comfort... they give you what you need.
1downfourup
Yep, I agree with you there. I have a Backup backrest, J-pegs and a Rick Mayer saddle on my LT. 1,546 miles in 22 hours is the most I done on it at one time and not one complaint about comfort. Now, if it just had a toilet.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #16 of 17 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 11:09 pm

Greetings From Perry, Doc!

I don't know if you have ridden the new GT, but it has a much more aggressive riding position than the LT. Footpegs are back and high. Handlebars are low and forward.

I personally don't see how a "highway" peg would work with this sporting position as the rider is somewhat crotched forward.

My $.02
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 8th, 2006, 9:17 am

Exclamation Better Solution on FJR

Not that it changes the situation on the GT, but there are highway pegs available for the FJR that bolt on the existing frame, require no drilling or modification of the fairing, retract (fold up, actually) when not in use, and are reasonably priced:

http://p083.ezboard.com/ffjr1300owne...icID=828.topic

I installed them with an extender, and have used them frequently. The ability to radically change foot position is something I miss on the GT.

YMMV

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in