Don't tell Elvira... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

Don't tell Elvira...

Don't tell Elvira (my '03 LTc); but, her days in my garage are numbered. While she has served admirably, I am like a man having a mid-life crisis- in search of a younger (and dare I say, sexier) mistress. Also on the way out is my '05 GS.

Love 'em both, it's just that I bought the LT back in the day when my wife still rode on the back. She has 2 bikes of her own now contributing to the fleet in my garage and no longer spends any time staring at the back of my head. Furthermore, her skills have advanced to the point that I can no longer evade her as easily as once I could on the LT.

The GS is awesome, and I have enjoyed owning it, as well. It's just that I don't do much real off roading alone and none of my riding buddies care for the dirt much. So, the inventory of bikes goes down from 6 to 5 and maybe, once the R69s is back together the wife can park in the garage again. Maybe.

In the mean time I am waiting. The Crystal Grey K1200GT should be mine before the end of June- it's expected at my dealer any day.

The GT is lighter and more nimble in commuter traffic while keeping much of the comfort of the LT on those all-day rides while adding the colon-evacuating power of the new K powerplant.

I can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 6:18 pm

The GT rocks! No need to keep it a secret...yell it from the roof tops man!
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 6:31 pm

Hey Joe! What options did you get on your GT? Anything you would leave off? Ron

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:52 pm

allen....
i understand why you would get rid of the LT....
but, why get rid of the GS as well?
it is an AWESOME street ride as well
i never take mine off road... but, it is a fantastic bike in the mountains
on tight twisty roads, the GS will be as fast as that GT... maybe faster

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'05 R1200GS
'02 K1200LT
live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"

Last edited by ClearwaterBMW; Jun 23rd, 2006 at 11:43 pm.
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:53 pm

I'm with Joe. The GT rocks! Took a three hour ride yesterday and was surprised how comfortable the ride was. The power is a rush.
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
Hey Joe! What options did you get on your GT? Anything you would leave off? Ron
It's loaded. I could be wrong...but I think all of the GT's coming into the country are equipped identically. What would I leave off if I could? Not a thing! The ESA is so much better than I thought it was going to be...it's amazing!

Oh...my large tour trunk will be here Tuesday.

I did not get the BMW tankbag, because of all the negative reports of poor fitment.

So...the only thing that sucks now is the windshield. It is HORRIBLE! The air is very dirty coming over it...no matter the position. I have a Cee Bailey's that will be here on Wednesday! Woohoo!

But next weekend, I'll have my relay-controlled fuse block installed...as well as everything else I'm doing to it...then I'll just ride ride ride ride ride!
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
on tight twisty roads, the GS will be as fast as that GT... maybe faster
I think that TOTALLY depends on the rider. I've ridden both and I'll take the GT in the twisties. But just by a hair. Where the GT will excel is pure HP coming out of the curves. I know the GS has more torque (maybe?)...but the GT more than makes up for it in ponies!
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 6:00 am

hey joe

the GT has more torque than the GS but the GS is quite easy to ride fast in the TIGHT twisties because you can peg the throttle in every gear.... the bike has the PERFECT amount of power for its weight and geometry when ridden by someone who knows it well.
on the straights or less tight twisties the GT will run off and hide in 2 seconds... but, tighten up those turns and the "experienced" GS rider will stay with that GT all day long

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'05 R1200GS
'02 K1200LT
live like you mean it...
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13

So...the only thing that sucks now is the windshield. It is HORRIBLE! The air is very dirty coming over it...no matter the position. I have a Cee Bailey's that will be here on Wednesday! Woohoo!
I agree. Going from an LT to GT the wind protections seems poor. It might not seem that way if I was going to the GT from a sports bike.

I too have the the Cee Bailey windshield ordered. I went with the +5 and +2. So it is 3 inches taller than the present GT windshield. While riding it seemed like if I lowered my head about 2 or 3 inches that wind noise disappeared. The wind flow dynamics may be a bit different with the Cee Baily since it has an up turned lip on the upper edge.

Randy's report on the Cee Baily windshield was very helpful.

I also have the fuse block coming. I am wiring PIAA 1100s and for Sirius Radio. It appears that I will not need to take the fairing off to wire as I did with the LT. I still haven't decided on a GPS.
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaLT
I agree. Going from an LT to GT the wind protections seems poor. It might not seem that way if I was going to the GT from a sports bike.
Not true. Although my Ninja gave me ZERO wind protection...at least the air was "clean".
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 6:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
allen....
i understand why you would get rid of the LT....
but, why get rid of the GS as well?
I wrestled with this for a while and finally just decided that with the GT in the stable, the GS just wouldn't get out much. Plus, I need room in the garage for the next-gen LT, whenever that debuts!

It's set- GT is in & I pick it up Tuesday!
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 6:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen_m
I wrestled with this for a while and finally just decided that with the GT in the stable, the GS just wouldn't get out much. Plus, I need room in the garage for the next-gen LT, whenever that debuts!

It's set- GT is in & I pick it up Tuesday!
i understand your point
my GS is only 8 months old
and i have farkled it to death..... i just couldn't see myself getting rid of it at this point.... though i wonder when i'll ride it when my GT arrives

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'05 R1200GS
'02 K1200LT
live like you mean it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in