BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Engine Management Software "Upgrade"

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  michman 
#1 ·
I read in an article in Motorcyclist that there is a software upgrade to the new K's BMS engine management software. They mention it in regards to their long-term K1200S test bike, but I thought it may apply to the GT as well. With this upgrade the accessory power socket that comes on the bike is now limited to a 5 amp or less power draw, which means most heated clothing (Gerbings in their test) will not work any longer. Before the upgrade they worked with no problems. Interestingly, BMW's heated clothing works just fine with it. :rolleyes: The only solution was to wire a Gerbings accessory socket directly to the battery.

I don't know if the GT and the S share the same software in this part of the management system, but it's something you might want to check out before getting any upgrades to the bike's software and/or before it gets cold again.

#2 ·
I appreciate the post, and the sentiments behind it. But after feeling the difference between a heated jacket plugged into the accessory port and then straight to the battery...I'll never use the accessory port again. I consider that port as my Battery Tender's quick disconnect, and little else. :)

#3 ·
messenger13 said:
I appreciate the post, and the sentiments behind it. But after feeling the difference between a heated jacket plugged into the accessory port and then straight to the battery...I'll never use the accessory port again. I consider that port as my Battery Tender's quick disconnect, and little else. :)

Just curious, but you are able to get more warmth from the Gerbings if you wire them direct to the battery??? On the LT's??

#4 ·
michman said:
Just curious, but you are able to get more warmth from the Gerbings if you wire them direct to the battery??? On the LT's??
Absolutely. Call Gerbings and ask. Heck, you want more light out of your low-beam?, rewire it with a beefier gauge. I find that the Germans under-spec their wiring quite frequently. Nothing dangerous...just not as beefy as I like.

#5 ·
Thanks....sorry to hijack the post.

messenger13 said:
Absolutely. Call Gerbings and ask. Heck, you want more light out of your low-beam?, rewire it with a beefier gauge. I find that the Germans under-spec their wiring quite frequently. Nothing dangerous...just not as beefy as I like.

Thank you....my brother and dad have GL1800's and claim that Gerbings will "cook" you out without the Temp controller/regulator.....I have never had problems, the jacket always seems warm, but never hot.

Sorry to hijack the post, but I have always wondered why my jacket was never as warm!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.