My new K1200GT . . . Day ONE! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 1:27 am Thread Starter

Exclamation My new K1200GT . . . Day ONE!

(WARNING: Long post!)

How many reviews can one possibly stomach?! I don't know. But here comes another one. Only because ClearwaterBMW is begging for it.

I must admit it right up front. I was really nervous about riding the GT for the first time. Heck! I was nervous about seeing it, for that matter. After all, I basically bought a bike that was sitting up in Michigan . . . who knows how many miles it had on it? Who rode it already? Was it scratched?! A latch broken?! The list goes on & on. None of it any good.

I rode an '06 Kawasaki ZZR600 50 minutes to get to my dealer...with the owner of the Kaw on the back. I was there with my riding partner Nancy when she bought her new Kaw down in West Virginia just a few short months ago. She saw it only fitting to be there for my new purchase. Good friends & riding buddies are like that.

I pulled in to see my 'Deep Blue' GT right in front of the shop. Pulled up right beside it . . . and it was PERFECT! Upon close inspection...not a scratch to be found. Not a single flaw. Yummy!

I walked in and teased the owners about taking it for a demo ride. Their jaws dropped...as they were certain that I was buying it, NOT demo'ing it. I strung them along just long enough to be cruel, then I let them off the hook. With a sigh of relief, the three of us sat down and signed all of the paperwork.
Meanwhile Nancy flirted with Fred, the Service Manager. I might have to see what I can do with those two. But that's another thread, in another forum.

I bought my first GT oil filter (already have oil at home), and we were outta there!

(Side note: THIS is how I broke my new GT's motor in.)

I mount the GT...adjust mirrors...turn key and fire it up, play with the BC button a little, then go. I pulled out onto the 35mph street and NAILED IT! Woohoo! I like the sound. And the GT has some giddy up & go! Cool! We proceed to go a few blocks, then we get on the freeway. I run it up to 10K in 1st and 2nd, and I am very delighted at the performance. I settle it back down to about 65mph and set the cruise. Aahhhh...very nice. I ride it home, varying my speeds and RPMs. I pull it in the garage and change the oil at 50 miles. Too soon? I don't think so. BTW...changing the oil on the new GT is a new adventure. More on that later.

After the oil change, my wife & I go for our first 2-up ride. I don't have the large tour trunk yet, but it's on it's way. We head over to my brother's house (a fellow LT'er) and he checks it out thoroughly. I teases his wife about trading their LT in on a new GT. My wife & I excuse ourselves from 'the fight' and head out for coffee and ice cream. We park in a line of Harleys, only to have an '04 GT owner greet us from behind. As I remove my helmet he says, "The new GT. Are you JOE?!". Holy KayWrap . . . I'm famous! We got our over-priced coffee and our ice cream and chatted with our new friends for awhile...then headed home. It was already dark, and it dropped to 57°. A good time to test the headlights, wind protection, and heated seats.

Day ONE Impressions:
  • Overall - For the first 10 miles or so, I didn't know what to make of the bike. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. It was very surreal. Maybe I tried liking it too much too soon. I decided to just stop thinking about everything so hard, and just ride it. By mile 20, I found myself smiling and starting to understand it. By mile 40, I was convinced that I made the right choice.
  • The Motor - Starts quickly, purrs like a kitten, revs like it's possessed. Passing a vehicle in 6th gear doesn't require down-shifting at all. But, it is more fun to do so. At 80mph . . . HEAVEN!!! I can run it there ALL day long!
  • The Throttle Response - Perfect! I have read all of the negative reports, but this issue doesn't apply to my GT. I just hope mine doesn't change. I rode through a 25mph zone in all 6 gears, and didn't have an issue with any one of them. Very smooth. Responsive, but smooth and predictable.
  • The Cruise Control - Perfect! Just like my LT. It engages quickly, and increases and/or decreases speeds smoothly. At 30, 45, and 55mph I set the CC in 6th gear, and you'd think it had an electric motor. Butter!
  • The Brakes - Typical BMW. Perfect! I tested the ABS in my gravel driveway and they passed with flying colors. The rear-only pedal is way cool!
  • The Windshield - It's too low for me, and the air flow is "dirty". Not really a lot of buffeting...just not smooth. A taller/wider Cee Bailey's with a little flip will solve this issue. At least that's what a little birdie told me.
  • The Handlebars - I think I like the lowest position the best. Need more time for a true evaluation. I don't recall any significant buzz in the grips either. Thank God!
  • The Footpegs - The position is good. And no buzz that I can recall from 2K to 10K RPMs.
  • The Mirrors - The best mirrors I have ever seen on any motorcycle. No vibration, distortion, and perfectly placed.
  • Passenger Comfort - Until we get the tour trunk, my wife cannot make a complete evaluation. But she enjoyed herself tonight, and had plenty of room. In fact, I think she just might have more room on the GT than the LT. More on this later.
  • The Suspension / ESA - Love it! I think the suspension is better than the LT's hands down. Even my wife commented that it felt smoother than the LT ever did. And the ESA is much more effective than I thought it would be. Good job BMW!
  • Fit & Finish - I can't find a single flaw.
  • Exhaust Note - I like it a lot. Quiet, but with a little growl under there.
  • The Seat - No problem so far. I'll know better after my first full day in the saddle.
  • The Tires - I got the Bridgestones BT-020s. Love the rear tire, hate that front 020. Not now, but in a few thousand miles. I'll be looking for what my options are soon.
  • The Headlights - Excellent! Both low and high-beams are very good. Add my caliper-mount MotoLights and I think that's all I'll need.
  • The Dash - So far, it seems very nice. Very readable, and comprehensive with just a quick glance.
  • Seat Heaters - As good as the LT's.
  • Low-Speed Handling - I did an 18' U-Turn with my wife on the back effortlessly.
  • High-Speed Handling - Too soon to tell.
OK . . . That's all I got for now. And YES, I took pics. But for now, I need to go ride it. All this typing about the GT is driving me NUTS!!! I'm outta here!

Last edited by messenger13; Jun 21st, 2006 at 3:48 am. Reason: Forgot mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 4:01 am
IBR# 366

Garage
One thing I'm dying to know that you neglected to mention . . . did you pay retail for that cup of coffee?

My brief GT test ride basically told me the bike is everything they say it is. Glad to hear that you agree.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 4:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
One thing I'm dying to know that you neglected to mention . . . did you pay retail for that cup of coffee?
Full retail!

post #4 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 5:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Full retail!
And what kind of ice cream?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 6:09 am

Hey Joe,
i'm glad that you took the time to make this very detailed evaluation... as i WAS begging for it

i'm thrilled with what you've said...
i wonder if are sleeping RIGHT NOW
or if you are IN THE GARAGE, admiring the bike
i can't wait to hear more... when you have more time to ride her
........ and, as for changing the oil at 50 miles..... you are a stud

thanks again

Greg Savel
Clearwater, FL USA

'05 R1200GS
'02 K1200LT
live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #6 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 8:14 am

Congratulations Joe. I'm looking forward to seeing this new beauty... SOON.

It's raining here today; maybe you're getting it up there also. Take her out for a "rain dance"!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #7 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 8:34 am

Congrats on the new ride Joe

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #8 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 8:54 am
mws

Good to me both of ya!
I've only seen the Taupe and Graphite colors in real life, so yours was the first Blue, and even at night, I thought it was the best color!
Glad to hear your throttle response isn't like the one I test rode in Americade, that one was very sensitive at low speeds! You would think BMW would make sure their Demo's are...... or wait, maybe it's me!

Nice ride!

12 R1200GS Rallye, (mine)
04 R1100S, mand/gray (hers)
95 Lab, Choc. (10/95-05/09 RIP)
post #9 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 9:16 am

Joe, while I enjoyed reading your review, there was one part that I found hard to believe:

"The Headlights - Excellent! Both low and high-beams are very good. Add my caliper-mount MotoLights and I think that's all I'll need."

What!? No HID? No six pairs of aux lights!?

Your review left out one important area: Tunes! With no onboard LT sound system, what's your plan?

I would think the new Autocom with the speed-sensitive volume control would be just the ticket on the GT.
post #10 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 9:21 am

Makes me want to sell my EGC for a GT so I can have an ALL BMW garage. Great job, Joe! Looking forward to burgers and Bimmers!

F
post #11 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:11 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
And what kind of ice cream?
Homemade hard ice cream . . . Butter pecan w/ cashews

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
........ and, as for changing the oil at 50 miles..... you are a stud
You didn't see the way I broke it in. Woohoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Nice write up Joe, Just wait till the break in starts paying dividends
I'm still finding power/torque here & there!
I'm counting on it. It seemed somewhat sadistic . . . but I'm 'OK' with that anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
It's raining here today; maybe you're getting it up there also. Take her out for a "rain dance"!
Yep, rain here too. But I won't be riding. After I take care of a few customers, I'll be home preparing the Ninja for it's new owner. I got some local Yawhoo with CASH and sweaty palms! (Might be gone by this weekend. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws
Good to me both of ya!
I've only seen the Taupe and Graphite colors in real life, so yours was the first Blue, and even at night, I thought it was the best color!
Hey!...Here's the guy that made me famous! Nice meeting you too Mark. You sure are nice compared to your brother. What happened to him?! And of course the 'Deep Blue' is the best color. The fastest too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
What!? No HID? No six pairs of aux lights!?

Your review left out one important area: Tunes! With no onboard LT sound system, what's your plan?
Nope...just a pair of MotoLights...that's all. As far as tunes, just like my Ninja. My IntaRide RP1 intercom w/ my iPod. That's all I (and the li'l lady) need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Looking forward to burgers and Bimmers!
Me too! But . . . um . . . it's BEEMERS, not Bimmers! A Bimmer is a cage! YUK!
(Consider yourself "schooled". )
post #12 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:53 am

CONGRATS Joe! Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
post #13 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:57 am

Quote:

Yep, rain here too. But I won't be riding. After I take care of a few customers, I'll be home preparing the Ninja for it's new owner. I got some local Yawhoo with CASH and sweaty palms! (Might be gone by this weekend. )
[/i]
Not to mention some bozo in Alaska. . .no wait thats me! Great write-up, I'm green with envy and headed to the local mecca to check it out with a more serious eye.

Sandy
post #14 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:03 am
mws

"'Hey!...Here's the guy that made me famous! Nice meeting you too Mark. You sure are nice compared to your brother. What happened to him?! And of course the 'Deep Blue' is the best color. The fastest too."

Awww....he aint so bad when he is not grumpy , besides, he was my portal into motorcycling!

Forgot to ask that gal on the Sportster were she got those Kevlar reinforced spandex riding pants, with the Kevlar kilt!

post #15 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws
"'Hey!...Here's the guy that made me famous! Nice meeting you too Mark. You sure are nice compared to your brother. What happened to him?! And of course the 'Deep Blue' is the best color. The fastest too."

Awww....he aint so bad when he is not grumpy , besides, he was my portal into motorcycling!

Forgot to ask that gal on the Sportster were she got those Kevlar reinforced spandex riding pants, with the Kevlar kilt!
Just for information, when you reply to someone using the Quote button, be sure to leave the [ QUOTE] at the beginning, and the [/QUOTE] at the end of their post so that one can tell which is which. You must have clipped off the [/QUOTE] at the end, so all of it looked like the same person writing.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #16 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws
Unfortunately, she left her sense of humor at home. (She really thought she was something special.) I'll take the girl on the back of my Beemer over her anyday.
post #17 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:40 am

Quote:

Me too! But . . . um . . . it's BEEMERS, not Bimmers! A Bimmer is a cage! YUK!
(Consider yourself "schooled". )
Ouch, ass is still sore from that "schooling".... Beemers it is.

F
post #18 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:43 am
Rider Journeyman

Thanks for the write-up....

Congratulations on the new baby, Joe!

I'm not sure I should thank you for the write-up.....it has me thinking.....and that it is a dangerou$ thing.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #19 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:43 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Ouch, ass is still sore from that "schooling".... Beemers it is.
Aw...C'Mon! At least it's not Brokeback Mountain sore!
post #20 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:11 pm

Is there a reason...

why we can't see even one photo of your new GT? Whatcha waitin' for?

Maybe next time you stop for gas, take a photo then post it when you get home.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #21 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:18 pm

Thanks for the write up. The more I read from you guys with the new GT the more I want one.... Keep up with the reports when you stop for Gas.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #22 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation You want pics?!

You got em. Jeez o pete!

It's just a bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My_New_GT_1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	4600   Click image for larger version

Name:	My_New_GT_2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	4601   Click image for larger version

Name:	My_New_GT_3.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	4602  
post #23 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:46 pm

Quote:
You got em. Jeez o pete!

It's just a bike.
Yeah yeah yeah. I'm sure it broke you up to post pix of your new bike.

Why the pic of the temp tag -- is that so we can call local law enforcement-types in the Cleveland area and warn them to be on the lookout for you?

Also: looking at pics 1 & 3: at first glance it looked like you had some road dirt/splash marks on the bottom of the fairing. On second glance you can tell it's so clean it's reflecting the texture of the ground. Cool.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #24 of 50 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 2:53 pm

Quote:

How many reviews can one possibly stomach?! I don't know. But here comes another one. Only because ClearwaterBMW is begging for it.

I must admit it right up front. I was really nervous about riding the GT for the first time. Heck! I was nervous about seeing it, for that matter. After all, I basically bought a bike that was sitting up in Michigan . . . who knows how many miles it had on it? Who rode it already? Was it scratched?! A latch broken?! The list goes on & on. None of it any good.

I rode an '06 Kawasaki ZZR600 50 minutes to get to my dealer...with the owner of the Kaw on the back. I was there with my riding partner Nancy when she bought her new Kaw down in West Virginia just a few short months ago. She saw it only fitting to be there for my new purchase. Good friends & riding buddies are like that.

I pulled in to see my 'Deep Blue' GT right in front of the shop. Pulled up right beside it . . . and it was PERFECT! Upon close inspection...not a scratch to be found. Not a single flaw. Yummy!

I walked in and teased the owners about taking it for a demo ride. Their jaws dropped...as they were certain that I was buying it, NOT demo'ing it. I strung them along just long enough to be cruel, then I let them off the hook. With a sigh of relief, the three of us sat down and signed all of the paperwork.
Meanwhile Nancy flirted with Fred, the Service Manager. I might have to see what I can do with those two. But that's another thread, in another forum.

I bought my first GT oil filter (already have oil at home), and we were outta there!

(Side note: THIS is how I broke my new GT's motor in.)

I mount the GT...adjust mirrors...turn key and fire it up, play with the BC button a little, then go. I pulled out onto the 35mph street and NAILED IT! Woohoo! I like the sound. And the GT has some giddy up & go! Cool! We proceed to go a few blocks, then we get on the freeway. I run it up to 10K in 1st and 2nd, and I am very delighted at the performance. I settle it back down to about 65mph and set the cruise. Aahhhh...very nice. I ride it home, varying my speeds and RPMs. I pull it in the garage and change the oil at 50 miles. Too soon? I don't think so. BTW...changing the oil on the new GT is a new adventure. More on that later.

After the oil change, my wife & I go for our first 2-up ride. I don't have the large tour trunk yet, but it's on it's way. We head over to my brother's house (a fellow LT'er) and he checks it out thoroughly. I teases his wife about trading their LT in on a new GT. My wife & I excuse ourselves from 'the fight' and head out for coffee and ice cream. We park in a line of Harleys, only to have an '04 GT owner greet us from behind. As I remove my helmet he says, "The new GT. Are you JOE?!". Holy KayWrap . . . I'm famous! We got our over-priced coffee and our ice cream and chatted with our new friends for awhile...then headed home. It was already dark, and it dropped to 57°. A good time to test the headlights, wind protection, and heated seats.

Day ONE Impressions:
  • Overall - For the first 10 miles or so, I didn't know what to make of the bike. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not. It was very surreal. Maybe I tried liking it too much too soon. I decided to just stop thinking about everything so hard, and just ride it. By mile 20, I found myself smiling and starting to understand it. By mile 40, I was convinced that I made the right choice.
  • The Motor - Starts quickly, purrs like a kitten, revs like it's possessed. Passing a vehicle in 6th gear doesn't require down-shifting at all. But, it is more fun to do so. At 80mph . . . HEAVEN!!! I can run it there ALL day long!
  • The Throttle Response - Perfect! I have read all of the negative reports, but this issue doesn't apply to my GT. I just hope mine doesn't change. I rode through a 25mph zone in all 6 gears, and didn't have an issue with any one of them. Very smooth. Responsive, but smooth and predictable.
  • The Cruise Control - Perfect! Just like my LT. It engages quickly, and increases and/or decreases speeds smoothly. At 30, 45, and 55mph I set the CC in 6th gear, and you'd think it had an electric motor. Butter!
  • The Brakes - Typical BMW. Perfect! I tested the ABS in my gravel driveway and they passed with flying colors. The rear-only pedal is way cool!
  • The Windshield - It's too low for me, and the air flow is "dirty". Not really a lot of buffeting...just not smooth. A taller/wider Cee Bailey's with a little flip will solve this issue. At least that's what a little birdie told me.
  • The Handlebars - I think I like the lowest position the best. Need more time for a true evaluation. I don't recall any significant buzz in the grips either. Thank God!
  • The Footpegs - The position is good. And no buzz that I can recall from 2K to 10K RPMs.
  • The Mirrors - The best mirrors I have ever seen on any motorcycle. No vibration, distortion, and perfectly placed.
  • Passenger Comfort - Until we get the tour trunk, my wife cannot make a complete evaluation. But she enjoyed herself tonight, and had plenty of room. In fact, I think she just might have more room on the GT than the LT. More on this later.
  • The Suspension / ESA - Love it! I think the suspension is better than the LT's hands down. Even my wife commented that it felt smoother than the LT ever did. And the ESA is much more effective than I thought it would be. Good job BMW!
  • Fit & Finish - I can't find a single flaw.
  • Exhaust Note - I like it a lot. Quiet, but with a little growl under there.
  • The Seat - No problem so far. I'll know better after my first full day in the saddle.
  • The Tires - I got the Bridgestones BT-020s. Love the rear tire, hate that front 020. Not now, but in a few thousand miles. I'll be looking for what my options are soon.
  • The Headlights - Excellent! Both low and high-beams are very good. Add my caliper-mount MotoLights and I think that's all I'll need.
  • The Dash - So far, it seems very nice. Very readable, and comprehensive with just a quick glance.
  • Seat Heaters - As good as the LT's.
  • Low-Speed Handling - I did an 18' U-Turn with my wife on the back effortlessly.
  • High-Speed Handling - Too soon to tell.
OK . . . That's all I got for now. And YES, I took pics. But for now, I need to go ride it. All this typing about the GT is driving me NUTS!!! I'm outta here!
Didn't think you would like it!

<grin>

BTW, Now you and ElJeffe SUCK!

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #25 of 50 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:37 am
mws

"Just for information, when you reply to someone using the Quote button, be sure to leave the [ QUOTE] at the beginning, and the [/QUOTE] at the end of their post so that one can tell which is which. You must have clipped off the [/QUOTE] at the end, so all of it looked like the same person writing."

Ok, sorry, I do better next time!

post #26 of 50 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 8:47 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws
"Just for information, when you reply to someone using the Quote button, be sure to leave the [ QUOTE] at the beginning, and the [ / QUOTE] at the end of their post so that one can tell which is which. You must have clipped off the [ / QUOTE] at the end, so all of it looked like the same person writing."

Ok, sorry, I do better next time!
I like your style!
post #27 of 50 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:23 am

Quote:
I like your style!
Yeah, I guessed you would.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #28 of 50 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:01 am
kip

congratulations

i appreciate the write up....very cool

i looked over the GT down in Daytona at bike week and thought it was really cool......

as i recall i was thinking it was pretty tall......or i was pretty short....

what is the seat height?

i will look forward to hearing more as you break her in.....

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #29 of 50 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 2:01 pm

Quote:
You got em. Jeez o pete!

It's just a bike.
I'm not sure why, but I like the second pic best.
post #30 of 50 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 6:15 pm

Joe wrote...
"We park in a line of Harleys, only to have an '04 GT owner greet us from behind. As I remove my helmet he says, "The new GT. Are you JOE?!". Holy KayWrap . . . I'm famous! We got our over-priced coffee and our ice cream and chatted with our new friends for awhile...then headed home. It was already dark, and it dropped to 57°. A good time to test the headlights, wind protection, and heated seats."

That was my bother-inlaw. Much nicer than me!
Joe, you're my hero so natually I talk about you to him, and he knew the whole story since I had just been to Roman's. So Blue, New GT, Roman's, Joe, who else could it be?

Congrats on the Bike BTW.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #31 of 50 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 6:59 pm

I know why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddoggin
I'm not sure why, but I like the second pic best.
It's because the setting behind the bike is much more picturesque, and because there's no Joe standing near it!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #32 of 50 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 7:08 pm
Bouncer

Great report, Joe!

BTW, BT-020s on the K1200RS did not cup/feather like they did on the LT. At 3500 miles, my ME Z6's are toast. Trying the Avons next week. They have the same weight rating as the Z6's, so I think I'll be ok. The Avons on the RS were probably the most perfect tire, so I hope my experience is similar on the new GT.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #33 of 50 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Great report, Joe!

BTW, BT-020s on the K1200RS did not cup/feather like they did on the LT. At 3500 miles, my ME Z6's are toast. Trying the Avons next week. They have the same weight rating as the Z6's, so I think I'll be ok. The Avons on the RS were probably the most perfect tire, so I hope my experience is similar on the new GT.
I had the 020s on my Ninja as well. As the front tire wore, it didn't cup or feather...it just felt weird. I'll probably be trying the Avons next as well. Let me know how you like them.
post #34 of 50 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 8:16 am

Quote:
You got em. Jeez o pete!

It's just a bike.

Sweet, have fun with it!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #35 of 50 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:18 am

Quote:
BTW...changing the oil on the new GT is a new adventure. More on that later.
Joe,

Please tell us about the oil change. Easy, hard, what?

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #36 of 50 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Post Oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
Joe,

Please tell us about the oil change. Easy, hard, what?
Easy . . . but interesting. Getting to the oil drain plug, piece of cake. Spin-off oil filter on the left side of motor; $24 Napa oil filter tool later...and that too was a piece of cake. But wait a minute!!! There's only about 1.5 quarts of oil that drained outta that motor! Dry sump! The oil reservoir is under the seat. Who woulda thunk?! Disconnect pinch fitting and direct drain tube into pan...piece of cake. It just takes about 20 minutes to drain. Like I said . . . "interesting".

The next time, it'll be a whole LOT easier.
post #37 of 50 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:57 am

very nice pics joe, got the SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss

I do my own stunts
post #38 of 50 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:01 am Thread Starter

Question Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belga1976
very nice pics joe, got the SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSss
Where's YOUR pics?!?!?
post #39 of 50 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:04 pm

Joe, your gonna have to change your aviatar now! If you take a pic of the new bike, just make sure that you are NOT in it! Wouldn't wanna ruin the bike!

Congrats on the bike.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #40 of 50 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:45 am

I'm sure he's just waiting to complete the bike with his new fark.... uh, accessories (Yea, that's it!).

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'
post #41 of 50 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 8:50 pm

Talking Pretty..................

Joe
MMMM Shiny MMMMM....................... that is the blue I wanted on my LT

What will we wrench on at the next tech session ??

Did your friend make it home OK ?
I think she turned east and was gone in a flash
should she have gone west??

Ridesalot
post #42 of 50 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridesalot
What will we wrench on at the next tech session ??
Whatever you guys want. I'm just aim to serve. I really had a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridesalot
Did your friend make it home OK ?
I think she turned east and was gone in a flash
should she have gone west??
Yes, she made it home just fine. East . . . West . . . it's 6 to one, half a dozen to the other from that point. I came down to Howard's via 77 south, went home 71 North. Almost the same mileage and time.
post #43 of 50 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:23 pm

Congratulations JOE!!!!!

I'm so glad you are happy with the new GT. It's a beautiful motorcycle.

I did take one for a test ride a couple weeks ago and was terribly dissapointed, but each of us has his/her own criteria for comfort and I am elated that you have found yours.

I am seriously considering selling my beloved LT. Not because I disslike the bike, but further, I disslike the level of dealer service I have received in the last year. It has been gawd awful!!

I'm looking seriously at a 2006 FJR1300. Cheaper to own and maintain and I really like the Japanese bikes.

I sincerely wish you many, many happpy miles and wide smiles!

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training

Last edited by S2DOG; Jun 24th, 2006 at 9:30 pm.
post #44 of 50 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2DOG
I'm looking seriously at a 2006 FJR1300. Cheaper to own and maintain and I really like the Japanese bikes.
I wanted to look at the FJR but my wife wouldn't let me. Honest. I just thought "whatever" and bought the GT.

We went out on it for a leisurely 150 miles today...pure heaven. The bike rides so much nicer than the LT ever did, it's unbelievable. 18-foot U-turns are effortless. And the roll-on power in 6th gear is AWESOME!

All the above will make more sense to you once you have the FJR...

Good luck with that decision. You know you'll always be messenger13's STEW DOGG!
post #45 of 50 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Hey, I'm building a new home that's due to be finished in Feb next year. What say you and the wife take a trip to Arizona on the GT and stay for a few days in the Casita (seperate living quarters) here in Scottsdale. We could take a trip up to several beautiful areas and I have the Jeep, mountain bikes and trailes and hiking galore here plus every kind of food you can imagine and all top notch.

Think about it, you are always welcome here...

Got some nice places of worship too

-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #46 of 50 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:49 pm

back home

Glad to hear she made it ok I was unsure of her route.

I turned my head to check the western exit and when i looked back she was gone like last weeks paycheck..........nothing but a vapor trail

i stopped at a rest stop just inside Indiana and met up with a couple on a screaming eagle FLH (i'm not sure of the rest ) they had just bought the bike and were coming out of Columbus headed to Missouri

His SO said the seat sucked and was looking real hard at the back seat on the LT

They were going to spend the nite in INDY and we talked of a couple of good places to stay and eat..... asked if they were ready to ride and SO was loud
NO not yet..........I got home 10 min before a gully washer hit.........I can imagen they did not fair so well.......
post #47 of 50 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 11:31 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
New GT

Congrats, Joe!

Now--about that "brokeback" sore thing....

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #48 of 50 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 10:58 pm
THE Democracy Doctor

WARNING: Long post!

I think I can some up this page-long write-up in a couple of words:

I rode her hard and put 'er away wet!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
post #49 of 50 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Jeez Jay! You keep coming back and reading it. Me thinks the GT is starting to suck you in!!!
post #50 of 50 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 11:12 am
THE Democracy Doctor

My new K1200GT . . . Day ONE!

Quote:
Jeez Jay! You keep coming back and reading it. Me thinks the GT is starting to suck you in!!!
No doubt, Joe! I have one on order. In a couple more months....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in