What is Canbus? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:21 pm Thread Starter

What is Canbus?

Can someone explain what Canbus is? Something to do with the electrical system of the GT.

Steve Wallace
Yuma, Arizona
06-GT
07 MV Agusta Brutale 910R
05 Screaming Eagle VROD
72 Triumph Tiger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:47 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaLT
Can someone explain what Canbus is?
It's a 7 leaf plant that's also known as marijuana, pot, weed, green, spleef, and a host of others slang terms.

Just kidding - It's the new wiring harness and electrical/engine management system on the new BMWs. As opposed to discreet sets of wires running to each functional item (brake lights, turn signals, engine management, dash lights, etc.) the same harness runs everywhere and different signals sent from a central bike management system trigger their various actions.

At least that's how it was explained to me. I could be dead wrong, but hey, you saw my first answer.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:48 pm

Scared me for a sec... Thought you were talking about a "green, leafy substance" as the LEOs say.

Steve Brooten
'01 K1200LT

post #4 of 17 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 12:18 pm

Quote:
Can someone explain what Canbus is? Something to do with the electrical system of the GT.
Here is way more than you wanted to know:
http://www.canbus.us/

It is a communication protocol between distributed controllers. Now all the electrical components are Networked. That way instead of having switches/controllers mounted just about anywhere with hard wiring all over the bike to connect them, each device contains it's own controller, and all of them "talk" over a single "bus", which means that the wiring is extremely simplified, and weighs a fraction of the old harnesses. Now instead of a switch and it's wiring needing to be heavy enough to carry the current of the controlled device, it can be very small and light, with the actual current switching being done in the device itself. However, each device still needs power wiring to the battery heavy enough to carry it's current.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 17 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 1:00 pm

Lightbulb Downsides, & Upsides . . .

Some of the downsides:
  • The shade-tree mechanics have some new learnin' to do.
  • You can't simply replace an OEM electronic device with just any aftermarket device like the good ol' days. These can cause faults within the CANbus system, shutting down that entire circuit, making you think that the device is bad. Wrongo!
  • Electronic issues will be much harder (if not impossible) to troubleshoot without the proper equipment.
Upsides:
  • Less wiring and clutter
  • Less weight (and we all want our bikes to weigh less...right?)
  • More reliable...as is with most newer technologies of the last 20 years. It's the Digital Age folks!
  • Better fault protection
Well, that about expends my knowledge base of CANbus technology. David...care to expound? Please?! Teach me man! I'm picking up my new GT (with CANbus) in two days!!!

The way I see it. On my new GT, I will be installing a fuse block right off the battery and all of my accessories will be running off of it. (BMW does give you an ignition-switch connector up front for such an occasion.) So the CANbus system will have very little, if any effect on me. Bad assumption?!
post #6 of 17 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

Thanks David

David,

Do you know if this has implications when adding on auxiliary lights? Can I wire up some PIA 1100s to the battery and still switch them off the current going to the bright headlights?

thanks again,

Steve Wallace
Yuma, Arizona
06-GT
05 Screaming Eagle VROD
72 Triumph Tiger
post #7 of 17 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 1:05 pm

Quote:
David,

Do you know if this has implications when adding on auxiliary lights? Can I wire up some PIA 1100s to the battery and still switch them off the current going to the bright headlights?

thanks again,
David will answer...but I'm wanting to see if I understand this as well as I think I do.

I believe what you will NEED to do is use the high-beam as a lead to trip a relay, thus powering your PIAAs. Connecting your PIAAs directly to the high-beam lead/ground will most likely cause a fault in the high-beam circuit and shut it down.

David?!
post #8 of 17 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 1:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
David will answer...but I'm wanting to see if I understand this as well as I think I do.

I believe what you will NEED to do is use the high-beam as a lead to trip a relay, thus powering your PIAAs. Connecting your PIAAs directly to the high-beam lead/ground will most likely cause a fault in the high-beam circuit and shut it down.

David?!
Thanks Joe,

Can I wire the PIAA's directly to the battery or a fuse block that is wired to the battery? Is the ignition-switch connector used to shut of power to the fuse block when the ignition switch is turned off? Where is the ignition-switch connector found? Where are you going to place the fuse block?

Steve Wallace
Yuma, Arizona
06-GT
05 Screaming Eagle VROD
72 Triumph Tiger
post #9 of 17 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Some of the downsides:
  • The shade-tree mechanics have some new learnin' to do.
  • You can't simply replace an OEM electronic device with just any aftermarket device like the good ol' days. These can cause faults within the CANbus system, shutting down that entire circuit, making you think that the device is bad. Wrongo!
  • Electronic issues will be much harder (if not impossible) to troubleshoot without the proper equipment.
Upsides:
  • Less wiring and clutter
  • Less weight (and we all want our bikes to weigh less...right?)
  • More reliable...as is with most newer technologies of the last 20 years. It's the Digital Age folks!
  • Better fault protection
Well, that about expends my knowledge base of CANbus technology. David...care to expound? Please?! Teach me man! I'm picking up my new GT (with CANbus) in two days!!!

The way I see it. On my new GT, I will be installing a fuse block right off the battery and all of my accessories will be running off of it. (BMW does give you an ignition-switch connector up front for such an occasion.) So the CANbus system will have very little, if any effect on me. Bad assumption?!
Pretty much correct on all accounts Joe!

You can add accessories as you state, by using circuits directly from battery power, and running their lines an switches as always. You cannot add accessories that depend on existing circuitry for signals though without possible problems (such as brake light modulators, etc.)

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #10 of 17 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 4:02 pm

Quote:
David,

thanks again,
You should be able to use a voltage from the actual headlight bulb power source to the aux. relay actuating circuit, just have to be sure you are not tapping into anything on the bike's controller side of anything.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #11 of 17 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 8:39 am

This has been so far the BEST explanation I have seen

At least it applies to the bikes

http://www.bmw-motorrad.be/com/en/in...w/can_bus.html

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #12 of 17 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 8:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDB
Excellent! Thanks for the link!
post #13 of 17 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 8:57 am
Rider Journeyman

FWIW, several of us that have added accessories to the CANbus system have installed a separate conventional fuse block (West Marine has a nice 6 pole and 12 pole solutions).

Power it from the battery through a relay that is actuated by the
"plug and play" switched power lead to the pilot light (edited to reflect the current methodology referred to by Raffy).

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Jun 20th, 2006 at 9:14 am. Reason: Update current methodology as mentioned by Raffy.
post #14 of 17 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
FWIW, several of us that have added accessories to the CANbus system have installed a separate conventional fuse block (West Marine has a nice 6 pole and 12 pole solutions).

Power it from the battery through a relay that is actuated by the secondary accessory socket power lead.
Read my bottom paragraph in post #5 of this thread. See! I have been taking notes!
post #15 of 17 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 9:02 am
Senior Member (ret.)

FYI

There is a CanBus Plug and Play adapter using the pilot light in the headlight. This will provide you a switched 12v power source. It even restricts voltage back flow. They are already in use on R1200GS, R1200RT, K1200R and at least one '06 K1200GT now.

Posted about this in the Vendor forum awhile ago.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #16 of 17 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
FYI

There is a CanBus Plug and Play adapter using the pilot light in the headlight. This will provide you a switched 12v power source. It even restricts voltage back flow. They are already in use on R1200GS, R1200RT, K1200R and at least one '06 K1200GT now.

Posted about this in the Vendor forum awhile ago.
Where is the "Plug and Play" adapter? How do you hook up to it?
Thanks

Steve Wallace
Yuma, Arizona
06-GT
05 Screaming Eagle VROD
72 Triumph Tiger
post #17 of 17 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:38 am
Senior Member (ret.)

This is what it looks like

http://motogear4you.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=2

Sorry for the self-promotion. Not my intention. You can also get this from www.dallasmotorcycles.com

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in