BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Color mine Blue / qick helmet lock

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  grifscoots 
#1 · (Edited)
Color mine Blue / quick helmet lock

I just brought the new blue GT home yesterday. I had a graphite on order but the dealer had several people wanting a graphite so I agreed to take the blue one. I had no real preference between the colors and when I saw the blue a couple of weeks ago I really liked it.

I have a number of Items to add to it before Michelle and I take off for Alberta in a couple of weeks. I will post pictures as I complete some installations.

The first Item I added was a helmet lock. I used:

51 25 2 313 472 Helmet lock assembly
51 25 7 698 204 Lock cylinder kit

The lock cylinder kit is supplied with enough "tumblers" and springs to match it to the bike key. The lock assembly mounts by drilling a small hole for a key pin and a larger hole for the mounting bolt. I used stainless a 1/4" Whitworth socket head screw and a nylock locking nut for attachment. There is a cast aluminum spar used to support the luggage, passenger and rider's pegs. While it has a slight curve to it, the lock is secure and stable. You may find another suitable location, but the locks keyed to the bike are very convenient.

It does clear the ground when on the sidestand.

This weekend I am going to get some pinstriping to try to break up the slab of a fairing, then get some miles on it so I can get the 600 mile service done before we leave for Alberta.

Next week:
  • Garmin 2720 GPS
  • Pioneer INNO XM radio
  • Motolights
  • Autocom

See less See more
#2 ·
Congratulations, Randy! I keep wanting to take one for a test ride but everyone's sold out of them all the time. So, is this an addition to the stable or are you putting one of the others out to pasture?

#4 · (Edited)
DavidTaylor said:
Congratulations, Randy! I keep wanting to take one for a test ride but everyone's sold out of them all the time. So, is this an addition to the stable or are you putting one of the others out to pasture?
I (sadly) put the Rune out to pasture. I loved to look at it but found myself seldom riding it. We like to take off for 600 mile days rather than to put around town and the Rune just doesn't cut it for long distances.

I find myself riding and thoroughly enjoying the S so it will stay. The LT is still one of my favorites, but without Michelle as a passenger a smaller, quicker and lighter bike like the GT makes a lot of sense.

While the LT is smooth comfortable and quiet I find myself getting a really sore right hip after a few hundred miles. I never get that on the S and don't think I will on the GT. I drove the S 900 + miles to Kerville in April and was actually almost without discomfort and could ride tank to tank without stopping. It is an enigma to me how I can be so comfortable in such a tucked position on that thin seat.

If the GT works out on our trip to Alberta, since Michelle rides her own bike now, I will likely be selling the 2005 LT with Bushtec trailer. With only 8000 miles on it and with all the equipment and trailer added It will make someone a stellar two-up traveler.

#6 ·
black1200lt said:
Good job Randy!
Heading to Canada. That should be fun. You two have a great time and I can't wait to hear back about your trip.
Best,
Coni
Thanks Coni. We find ourselves drawn to that part of Canada, and start missing it the moment we depart each time we visit. If I could make a living there I would consider moving.

#8 ·
congratulations Randy
i won't be getting my GT for 6 more weeks, in all likelihood
i'll be trading my '02 LT at that time
funny how you mentioned the "hip pain" from the LT
i'm only 5'6"/28" inseam... but, the awkward riding position bothers my hips as well
everytime i ride the LT i find myself asking how anyone over 6' could be comfortable on the bike
i can ride 100s of miles on the GS without any discomfort at all and i imagine i'll have the same positive experience with the GT

ride safe, my friend
i hope that you'll take some pictures on your Alberta journey as well

#11 ·
jorawro said:
Randy - What part of Alberta are you headed for. If you need a place to stay or "wrench" you are both most welcome here.
Thanks for the offer. I hope we won't have to do any wrenching :(

We are going to base out of Banff for a week. We plan on going to Jasper, Lake Louise, Glacier N.P. and possibly down through Kootenay N.P. to Radium Hot Springs. We'lll probably hang out in Banff for one day, then head back home through the US Glacier N.P.

#12 ·
ClearwaterBMW said:
congratulations Randy
i won't be getting my GT for 6 more weeks, in all likelihood
i'll be trading my '02 LT at that time
funny how you mentioned the "hip pain" from the LT
i'm only 5'6"/28" inseam... but, the awkward riding position bothers my hips as well
everytime i ride the LT i find myself asking how anyone over 6' could be comfortable on the bike
i can ride 100s of miles on the GS without any discomfort at all and i imagine i'll have the same positive experience with the GT

ride safe, my friend
i hope that you'll take some pictures on your Alberta journey as well
The bizarre thing is that on the S I have little discomfort and I am folded up like a pretzel. Go figure! The LT is a wonderful bike in all respects and a very comfortable ride, but with Michelle on her own bike.... The hip pain on the LT is not so severe as to impact my travels, but is totally absent on the S. Only time will tell how I fit on the GT, but it feels right. The only thing I need to address initially on the GT is wind management - it is not so good. The best for me is to travel with the shield all the way down, but I am going to try the Cee Bailey as soon as they deliver it. On the S I am spoiled because the airflow is so smooth that I don't mind having my helmet out in the wind. With earbuds in and the music down low, It is very quiet and free from buffeting. The GT is almost that way with the windshield down. If the Cee Bailey doesn't work I will try the BMW low windshield.

I do wish that BMW would have left the intake howl the S has on the GT. They practically silenced it on the GT. I know their rationale, but I like the sound on the S.

I linked to some pictures from our last trip in this post. I am certain we will take many more this time.

#13 · (Edited)
grifscoots said:
Dood!:D

The Rune is out to pasture? Pasteurized bike!
Selling that bike made me really sad, but logic tells me that we should ride the bikes we have, rather than spend a day washing and polishing, just to putt for few miles. Weighing the joy of seeing new (or familiar) distant places against looking at a cool hunk of metal, makes the choice a no-brainer.

#14 ·
thanks for the reply, randy
i'll look forward to your pictures. i can also appreciate your comments above about keeping the bikes you like to ride. for me, the LT has become the bike at which i like to look.... but, everytime i want to ride, i jump on the GS. Carol (my wife) isn't riding with me as much as she had in the past. i know that the GT will spend a lot more time on the road than MY LT has lately

#15 ·
ClearwaterBMW said:
thanks for the reply, randy
i'll look forward to your pictures. i can also appreciate your comments above about keeping the bikes you like to ride. for me, the LT has become the bike at which i like to look.... but, everytime i want to ride, i jump on the GS. Carol (my wife) isn't riding with me as much as she had in the past. i know that the GT will spend a lot more time on the road than MY LT has lately
I find myself enjoying the ride on the S more and more. Invariably when I chose a bike to head out on it was the S. Since the GT is clearly a direct descendant of the S, I'll bet it will be just as much pleasure to ride. I'll know in a few weeks. The S is a bike that really surprises me - it is more fun to ride each time I head out on it. The one key thing the S is missing is cruise control, but I am working with Tom Guymer at www.mccruise.com to try to make one work. It isn't going to be easy.

One other item: Michelle just bought her own K1200S - I may need the GT to keep up with her :D

#18 ·
randy said:
I find myself enjoying the ride on the S more and more. Invariably when I chose a bike to head out on it was the S. Since the GT is clearly a direct descendant of the S, I'll bet it will be just as much pleasure to ride. I'll know in a few weeks. The S is a bike that really surprises me - it is more fun to ride each time I head out on it. The one key thing the S is missing is cruise control, but I am working with Tom Guymer at www.mccruise.com to try to make one work. It isn't going to be easy.

One other item: Michelle just bought her own K1200S - I may need the GT to keep up with her :D
Randy,
it sounds like everything is working out fine for you... and that makes me very happy. i'll be VERY interested to hear about the outcome of the "S" cruise control. I would pay about anything to have an LT/GT-quality cruise control on my GS. i know that may be a pipe dream... but i love my GS and the cruise would make me very very happy.

i'll look forward to your continuing impressions about the GT

#19 ·
ClearwaterBMW said:
Randy,
it sounds like everything is working out fine for you... and that makes me very happy. i'll be VERY interested to hear about the outcome of the "S" cruise control. I would pay about anything to have an LT/GT-quality cruise control on my GS. i know that may be a pipe dream... but i love my GS and the cruise would make me very very happy.

i'll look forward to your continuing impressions about the GT
The guys at www.mccruise.com have a kit for the R1150GS. I used their kit on my 2001 K1200RS as well as my 1999 Valkyrie. While a little of a bitch to install they functioned very well. They may be working on a kit for the R1200GS. Drop Tom an email and ask, he may have one in the works.

The kit is fairly simple and consists of:
  • The Control unit. This is the electronics package that takes the speed information, brake, tach and control switch inputs and drives the vacuum servo valve assemblies.
  • Speed sensor. This can be a magnet on one of the brake calipers and a separate mounted sensor, or can sometimes be derived from the bikes speed pulses to the instruments
  • A vacuum servo. This device is a vacuum bellows attached to a cable and provides the system with a means of actuating the throttle bodies or carburettors.
  • Control switch assembly - mounted on the handlebar and provides set/accel - coast/decel - cancel buttons
The difficulties are finding a suitable location for the 3x3x2 inch CIU unit and the vacuum servo.

I know that the biggest challenge they had in development for the R1150RT was the proper interface for a bike with two throttle bodies. Since they solved it on the R1150GS and RT it may be adaptable to your R1200GS.

Once installed it works as well as a factory cruise control, but lacks the ability to cancel the cruise by rolling the throttle against it. It still disengages by either brake or clutch actuation.

#21 ·
Randy
i'm going to e-mail him right away. there was a guy with a more rudimentary plan for CC on the GS over on the adventure rider forum... but, they wanted you to sign your life away just to put it on your bike... fear of lawsuits.
not being able to DISengage the CC by rolling off the throttle isn't a big deal for me... still being able to do so with the clutch or brake would be fine.
it would be a dream come true to have a reliable and almost-LT/GT-like system on my GS
thanks, once again, for all of your help and guidance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.