Rewired head phones in my helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 8:49 pm Thread Starter

Rewired head phones in my helmet

I picked up some cheap Koss headhones from Amazon that were mentioned as having very good sound. When i tried them out they really did sound very good. I looked them up and discovered they were measured at around 101db, one of the highest I could find. Since i use ear plugs getting a little bit more volume would be a plus.

when i cut the wiring harness to shorten it I discovered an old nemisis, fiber in the samll strands of copper wire--horribbbble stuf to try and solder.

i looked in my wire box and found some mil surplus small gauge stranded wire with a shield. I use mils surplus teflon insulation wire that I buy on eBay from NavShips, because the teflon has a very high melting point, and according to popular audio mythology it "sounds" better than plastic. I don't know if it does, but I never worry about melting the insulation before I apply enough heat to melt the solder.

since all of the wire is ver small it took me a looooooooong time to make good solder connections to the headphone raw speakers and into a min strereo plug, with the plug being the most maddening.

I verified the harness worked and then stuffed it into my helmet.

A couple of days ago was the first time I got to listen to it. Once thee blue tooth connection was made to my garmin 665 my reaction was OH Shit!! Distortion!! But, suddenly, no distortion and the sound was a LOT clearer? More enjoyable?! I was hearing details i had heared before even though these are MP3 files i've had for a couple of years.

then it occured to me, the distortion is because Hendrix is the first MP3 file when i turn my GPS on. what I was hearing was distortion, but distortion I had not heard through any in helmet headphones; in fact distortion I had not heard any time I spun an album with that song on it, distortion I had not heard on the CD any time i played it on my home system. Course on any home system I've had i never sit with the speakers on either side of my head.

i've seen some writting from headphone people about changing the wire for better sound and not payed attention to it. i've done the same in my home systems and found how sound changes with wiring changes. I also play around buying old tube based audio equipment, replacing capacitors and resistors and wiring and then experiemnting with the sound the same tube type but nade at diffrent times and by different manufacturers.

when i made the harness it never occured the sound would change; I did it to make a harness that would not have tons of excess wire coiled up inside my helmet.

But, I got unanticipated clarity, more "depth" to the music. i think I gain some in volume, and, I'm enjoyig the music!! Prior the music was just there, now it's much more.

Many people shake thheeir heads in disblief that changing wire in a stereo system can effect the sound; some times it does not. this time it did.

the only other tip is that I bought different types of the jack from parts connection. At one time good jacks and plugs were the norm--not now. i liked the one with a rubber tip at the end, not the one with a spring at the end--there were more tabs to crimp over the two wirers going into the plug.

Best from t'son
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Last edited by BecketMa; Jan 22nd, 2014 at 8:57 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 5:40 am

Re: Rewired head phones in my helmet

It is almost impossible to solder that stuff let alone simply stripping it, usually go through 3-6" before I can get a suitable piece to solder, real PIA!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in