I need a good i-pod/helmetspeaker/remote reccomendation. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Nov 21st, 2010, 5:55 am Thread Starter

I need a good i-pod/helmetspeaker/remote reccomendation.

I've sifted through some searches and am still a little fuzzy on what to buy.

I would like a good ipod setup for my bike consisting of good helmet speakers, and a remote for the ipod.

Aerostitch has the ijet remote, and some helmet speakers that claim to provide good bass, as well as some tiny in-line amps.

Does this sound (no pun intended) like a good way to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 8th, 2010, 3:30 pm

Garage
Re: I need a good i-pod/helmetspeaker/remote reccomendation.

iphone + scala rider 4.....thats it ,, - listen to radio through bike speakers, mp3's from iphone direct to scala rider + built in fm radio + take phone calls + Btoothe navigator voice and connect to 3 other g4's.. perfect

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 9th, 2010, 1:36 pm

Get a set of in ear speakers, they block the wind noise out and you can listen at lower volumes to your ipod, Etomotic research ER6i's can be purchased for 75.00 online, Kieth
(I build audio systems and bike aux power systems so I am trying to get you the biggest bang for the buck) I do not sell either of these devices.. later I do make custom ear mold speakers but they cost more, try the er6s and when they wear out come back for some custom ear molds.

post #4 of 10 Old Dec 9th, 2010, 7:16 pm

I agree on the in ear speakers, wife and I use s-plugs and like them very well and as said earlier there are others. At the International Motorcycle Show a couple of weeks ago we decided to splurge and had custom molded earphones made (actually had the molds made) and are waiting for delivery. I tried three different speakers in our helmets each costing $70 or more, and I consider helmet speakers a great way to throw money away. I know it's my 2 cents but it cost alot more than that to learn.
Ride Safe
Larry
post #5 of 10 Old Dec 10th, 2010, 6:12 am

I'll counter that with saying that I really love the helmet speakers because I can simply and quickly put the helmet on and have tunes. I've used various systems over the years and always come back to in-helmet speakers. The ear plugs are nice for long rides, to cut down on noise, but for just getting around town I simply don't want the hassle.

As far as sound quality, a properly-installed Autocom in-helmet speaker sounds excellent.
post #6 of 10 Old Dec 12th, 2010, 1:09 pm

Actually they don't sound good compared to any in ear speaker system. Believe me they were installed properly, but maybe you don't ride at highway speeds for long stretches as we do (wife has over 100 thousand miles and I have alot more). Just recieved our custom molded ear phones yesterday and am very impressed with the sound quality.
Larry

Last edited by RTST; Dec 12th, 2010 at 3:24 pm.
post #7 of 10 Old Dec 12th, 2010, 2:42 pm

We will probably make adapters to plug in molded in-ear headphones for longer rides, because noise reduction becomes important. However I'd never use those for around town and short rides because it's just too annoying, and in town I value being able to hear traffic.

The Autocoms work very well with foam earplugs also, though of course music quality is greatly reduced. They are plenty loud though.
post #8 of 10 Old Dec 15th, 2010, 10:11 am

Adaptors are available from Autocom to allow the use of in ear speakers with you Autocom. I use them and will never go back. One does not realize just how much wind noise interferes with the audio quality. Kieth
post #9 of 10 Old Dec 15th, 2010, 4:25 pm

It appears they no longer offer this, if you know the part number or have a link, that would be great. I'd rather just buy them.

I realize that wind noise is annoying, but for around town and short trips the in-ear plugs are more annoying. I want to have both options. Right now the only Autocom option I can find is in-ear adapters with no speaker option.
post #10 of 10 Old Sep 4th, 2013, 12:57 pm

I have the Nolan Bluetooth 3 and am happy, don't really like the earphone approach - I feel it reduces my awareness,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in