Making Custom Cable For Dice - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 8:55 am Thread Starter

Making Custom Cable For Dice

I'm looking at adding a Dice to my K1200LT standard which came with a cassette stereo and no changer. I've just taken the stereo out of the stingray and have located the ten pin male plug (left side under the main wiring plug). I've also found a ten pin female plug (coming from the wiring harness) that was tucked in behind the stereo. Searching the forum, I found that some think this female ten pin plug is for the CD changer and some think it is for an unused comm. system option. The female plug does not seem to be matched to the male plug in the stereo. Is that white female plug of any use for the Dice?

I know the official route is to replace the LT's wiring harness with a new one that adds a CD changer plug (probably ending up near the antenna plug on the left side of the stingray). Then one adds the cable that would normally run to the right saddlebag. Then the Dice can plug into that second cable.

Since I want to simply mount the Dice in the oddments case (with the Ipod itself), adding a new harness and long cable seems a bit excessive. The audio and other signals would be traveling all over the bike only to end up about a foot from where they started. In audio, my sense has always been that shorter paths are better.

It seems to me like it would be simpler to make a short cable that would run from the ten pin male plug on the back of the stereo to the oddments case. So the stereo end would have the needed ten pin female plug and the Dice end would have the six pin female and three pin female connectors that the Ipod adapter needs to connect to.

My thought is that I could start with the factory changer cable and cut it about 15" away from the female 6 pin/3 pin plug end (cable end "B"). Then I would need to locate a cable that had the needed ten pin female plug (for the back of the stereo) cut it and splice it to the cut changer cable (cable end "A").

I know there are some folks on the board who know wiring, etc. I'm no expert but I imagine I could handle this. So, my questions are:

1. Would this work?
2. What cable would I need to buy to get that ten pin female adapter for the back of the stereo?
3. Does anyone have the wiring diagrams that would show me which specific wires from cable end A should match to specific wires in cable end B?

If I had the components and the wiring info. this seems like it should be fairly straightforward.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Cheers,

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner
Northeastern Motorcycle Tours

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sreid; Mar 6th, 2009 at 9:07 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Re: Making Custom Cable For Dice

Come to think of it, it might be even simpler to just make the "B" end of the cable the one that goes directly into the Dice controller. Any thoughts?

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 2:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I saw your PM, I can put something together for you that will accomodate a dice in the oddiments box. Give me a day or so as I am still playing catch up from my last business trip.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 8:03 pm Thread Starter

Hi John,

Thanks very much. I actually made a good deal of progress with this today. After much discussion and searching, I located the needed 10 pin CD plug and harness from a '97 or '99 5-series wagon (recycling yard - $10). So now I have that plugged into the connector block and have the block connected back to the stereo. I am running the wires (inside one large heat shrink tube) through a newly drilled hole in the plastic piece just above the cassette player. That feeds all the wire straight into the oddments box and that's where I will mount the Dice.

Do you know the pinouts for the CD changer connection? There are four insulated wires coming from the female changer plug (red, white, grey and black) as well as uninsulated wire (shielding/ground) that surrounded the other four.

Thanks for your help and feedback.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner

post #5 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 8:20 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Those are not the same color as the LT harness.

For the LT harness you have two plugs for the CD changer. One has a White/violet and is the I-Buss (control line), Brown/black (Power Ground) and a Red/blue (power). The second connector would have a bare shield (for the audio lines), a Brown (audio -) a black (Left channel), and a Yellow (Right channel).

You can trace out your harness from this and should be able to make it work:

While/violet (I-Buss) goes to pin 10
Brown/black (power ground) goes to pin 9
Red/blue (power) to pin 4

Shield goes to the case of the plug
Brown (audio - )goes to pin 6
Black (left audio) goes to pin 1
Yellow (right audio) goes to pin 2

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #6 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Those are not the same color as the LT harness.

For the LT harness you have two plugs for the CD changer. One has a White/violet and is the I-Buss (control line), Brown/black (Power Ground) and a Red/blue (power). The second connector would have a bare shield (for the audio lines), a Brown (audio -) a black (Left channel), and a Yellow (Right channel).

You can trace out your harness from this and should be able to make it work:

While/violet (I-Buss) goes to pin 10
Brown/black (power ground) goes to pin 9
Red/blue (power) to pin 4

Shield goes to the case of the plug
Brown (audio - )goes to pin 6
Black (left audio) goes to pin 1
Yellow (right audio) goes to pin 2
Thanks. Your help is already invaluable. I was hoping to get the body panels back on tomorrow morning but it looks like I better hold off. I'll trace the harness but now I'm wondering if:

A) I have enough pins wired in the 5-series harness
B) The pins that are wired will be in the right position

How does your adapter work?

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner

post #7 of 30 Old Mar 6th, 2009, 11:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The adapter I helped create was to adapt the stock LT long cable to the back of the radio. The guy was able to find the long cable that ran from the saddle bag to the stingray area. With my pinouts he was able to adapt that cable to the 10 pin connector on the back of the radio. You may just have to add a wire or two to the harness. It sounds like the audio is there and maybe the I-Buss. Then all you need to add is a power and ground and those can come from any switched source. You can dissasemble the little 10 pin connector and it is pretty easy to re-arrange the pins.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #8 of 30 Old Mar 7th, 2009, 7:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
The adapter I helped create was to adapt the stock LT long cable to the back of the radio. The guy was able to find the long cable that ran from the saddle bag to the stingray area. With my pinouts he was able to adapt that cable to the 10 pin connector on the back of the radio. You may just have to add a wire or two to the harness. It sounds like the audio is there and maybe the I-Buss. Then all you need to add is a power and ground and those can come from any switched source. You can dissasemble the little 10 pin connector and it is pretty easy to re-arrange the pins.

OK, I'll test it and then figure out how to take it apart. I haven't done that before but I imagine I can figure it out. There's an angled metal cable guide on the back of the 5-series plug that looked like it might make the plug tricky to disassemble but maybe it won't be.

In your pinout description is the left to right/ top to bottom number assignment (looking at the male pins on the stereo from the rear of the unit) like this.

06 05 04 03 02 01
10 09 08 07 06 05

or this:

01 02 03 04 05
06 07 08 09 10

I'm glad I contacted you about this because I also found a diagram that shows a very different pinout and I would have had to redo all the assignments. It is here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...achmentid=4610

Again, this help is great to have. Let me know how I can return the favor.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner

Last edited by sreid; Mar 7th, 2009 at 8:16 am.
post #9 of 30 Old Mar 7th, 2009, 9:19 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Sean,

I found the picture I was looking for and it confirmed the pin out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0044.jpg
Views:	7833
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	22093  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 30 Old Mar 7th, 2009, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

I want to publicly thank John for taking the time to speak with me by phone this evening. It was extremely helpful.

John, thanks for that new document confirming what we had decided on as the pin numbers.

To John or anyone else...Just for my education, what are the following in more conventional terms:

RXEN
D. GND (Digital ground?)
CLK
RST

These terms are shown in this schematic (which seems to have the wrong pin out numbers):

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...achmentid=4610

Great forum.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner

post #11 of 30 Old Mar 8th, 2009, 3:58 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I got to thinking that the diagram you have may not be wrong since you only have the one 10 pin connector. The one I showed you has two 10 pin connectors. There could be just that difference in the radio models. I would feel better if you could see if the connector had any pin markings on it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #12 of 30 Old Mar 8th, 2009, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I got to thinking that the diagram you have may not be wrong since you only have the one 10 pin connector. The one I showed you has two 10 pin connectors. There could be just that difference in the radio models. I would feel better if you could see if the connector had any pin markings on it.
Hi John,

Good to speak with you again. The stereo does have markings at the pins but we can't yet make them out. Interestingly, though, the markings for the larger pins above (shown in the schematic) match those on the stereo exactly. So I'm tempted to think the diagram may also be correct for the smaller CD changer pins.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner

post #13 of 30 Old Mar 15th, 2009, 7:57 pm Thread Starter

OK...

Installation is complete and I must say that I am quite impressed with the Dice unit. In the end I did not need to use either the expensive replacement BMW harness or even the changer connecting cable. Parts used were just the changer plug from a 5-series ($10) and misc. wire, shrink tubing, etc. I have the power line switched so that there's no draw when the bike is parked and the whole custom cable is about 12" long from the back of the stereo to the Dice plug. It took a lot of time and experimenting to figure out the details but I find this kind of stuff fun and relaxing. If anyone wants details, let me know.

Cheers,

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner

post #14 of 30 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 4:42 pm

Ok, quick question on this. Are you saying that all you had to do to hook up your Dice unit was get the correct 10-pin female connector for your AUX in and wire it correctly to your Dice unit?

If so, I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas where I can reliably pick up a 10-pin connector. Unfortunately out in the desert I don't know of any junkyards I might be able to scavenge from.
post #15 of 30 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 5:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you are handy with a fine hacksaw you can cut up an old comuter IDE connector and turn it into a 10 pin (5 on top and 5 on bottom) connector that will press right on the back of the radio where the CD connector would go.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #16 of 30 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 9:05 pm

It just so happens I've got a spare IDE cable lying around and a rotary cutting tool that should do the trick. I'm hunting for the pin outs on my iSimple now.

Were those diagrams above helpful to you? I feel like I'm missing some part of the conversation. Not quite sure which pins are what.
post #17 of 30 Old Apr 6th, 2009, 11:17 pm Thread Starter

I'm on the road now but should be back in VT by Weds. and so can post some details later this week and those should be enough to go directly from the CD changer plug on the stereo directly to a Dice.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner

post #18 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 3:27 pm

That would be seriously awesome. Especially if you already have the pins from the cd changer connector (6 pin and 3 pin right?) to the AUX 10 pin.

The best part about driving the BMW for me so far has been all the other riders out there. Ok, BS. The best part are the winding mountain roads...but the community is nice too.
post #19 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Quote:
If you are handy with a fine hacksaw you can cut up an old comuter IDE connector and turn it into a 10 pin (5 on top and 5 on bottom) connector that will press right on the back of the radio where the CD connector would go.
This is an awesome suggestion. Do you know if it is the same for the CD player as it is for the Cassette player?

What is on the Dice side for a connector? If I can get this worked out, I will put the pieces together and do this during my 36K Should only be a couple of months away. I've been held up by my inability to locate a reasonable harness. This seems to address that. I'm excited!
Thanks for all the suggestions on this thread.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #20 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2009, 4:31 pm

One thing I found was that as soon as I unplug the 6 Cd changer, that the radio will no longer switch over to it. I assume that is the white i-buss wire controlling that? what sort of a signal do you put on that wire to get the radio to think it has a changer attached? Once that is done then I can run the audio in and get rid of my crappy cassette adapter for my XM radio too

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #21 of 30 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

OK, sorry for the delay. I had a lot to catch up on when I got back late last week. First off, attached is a JPEG of my notes (which stays taped to the inside of my oddments case cover) and three other pictures from the install.

I did this install while on the road and logistics did not allow for photos documenting each step of the process. What I have in pictures, however, I attach here.

Please Note: The following is provided for entertainment purposes only and neither Northeastern Motorcycle Tours nor myself recommend that one make modifications to the K1200LT which are not recommended or endorsed by BMW. Possible injury or damage to motorcycle or other components may occur. (Yes, I have to include this.)

The wire colors noted from the radio end are simply the colors I chose to use - there's nothing official about them.

1. To the best of my knowledge, this schematic (http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...achmentid=4610) is correct for a 2000 LT radio with cassette deck.

2. Based on that schematic:

Pin 01: I-Bus (computer signals controlling changer)
Pin 02: RXen (another computer signal connection - not used for DICE)
Pin 03: not used for my install
Pin 04: not used for my install
Pin 05: Audio ground/negative ( - ) which can be used for both channels
Pin 06: not used for my install
Pin 07: not used for my install
Pin 08: not used for my install
Pin 09: right audio positive (+)
Pin 10: left audio positive (+)

So basically there are only four pin connections that need to be made directly to the BMW stereo (I-Bus, audio ground, audio positive left and audio positive right). I took my power from the red wire in the main radio harness and ran it through a switch (more below) then on to the DICE connector. I took my ground from the metal casing shield on the plug from the 5-series car but, of course, there are many places to get a ground from (possibly including pin 8 as indicated in the schematic I linked above).

At the connector that plugs into the DICE Silverline Model sent to me in 03/09 the wire colors are:

grey: I-Bus
blue: audio common ground
red: right audio positive
white: left audio positive
black: ground
yellow: power +

I don't know if the colors are the same for other DICE models, generations, etc.

More later.

Cheers,

Sean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0H7H7434cropsm.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	22590   Click image for larger version

Name:	0H7H7424sm.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	22594   Click image for larger version

Name:	0H7H7423sm.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	22595   Click image for larger version

Name:	0H7H7418sm.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	22596  

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner

Last edited by sreid; Apr 13th, 2009 at 6:59 pm.
post #22 of 30 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Please Note: The following is provided for entertainment purposes only and neither Northeastern Motorcycle Tours nor myself recommend that one make modifications to the K1200LT which are not recommended or endorsed by BMW. Possible injury or damage to motorcycle or other components may occur. Modifying the DICE wiring harness may invalidate the warranty on the Silverline unit. Obviously, one should fully disconnect the battery on the bike before doing any of the following.

For those interested in doing this whole install from scratch, here's the long version of what I did (with as much detail as I can recall). I know pictures would be great for all of this but I didn't have that luxury as I was working on this on the road (long story). Hopefully, the next person to do this will be able to photograph each step.

When I first bought my LT in 2000 I specifically opted to not have a CD changer because it uses up a good deal of the (valuable) space in the right luggage case. It also places the changer right in line with the rear wheel which almost guarantees a good amount of shock from bumps, etc. The better solution, I think, would have been a DIN size changer built into the area ahead of the oddments cover. Similar in-dash changers do exist for cars. Alas, BMW chose another way.

My rule of thumb with audio is keep input cables (signal to amplifier) as short as possible because every bit of electrical interference picked up by an input cable gets fed into the amp. and is amplified. So mounting an Ipod in a saddlebag and then running the signal connections all the way to the stereo seems to involve a lot more cable length (and potential electrical noise) than should be needed. It also requires disconnect plugs so the Sting Ray can be removed for servicing, etc. So not only does the standard BMW harness/cable replacement method seem needlessly expensive to me, it also makes the electrical paths much longer and more complex than they need to be.

My goal was a cable about a foot long that would simply run from the back of the stereo directly to the DICE unit (which would be mounted in the oddments case with the Ipod). That way the electrical paths would be short and all the components would stay together when the Sting Ray was removed for bike servicing (no new plugs to mess with or wires to re-route). The whole stereo, DICE unit and Ipod could essentially be self-contained in the Sting Ray.

The signals for a CD changer come from the left side 10-pin male jack on the rear of the stereo (see close up attached in post above). To get to this:

1. Pull the Tupperware and remove the Stingray (instructions for this should be on the site somewhere)
2. Place the Stingray upside down on a soft towel and remove the screws (6 of them I think) that hold the stereo tray to the outer Stingray bodywork.
3. Remove the cover that protects the cables at the front of the stereo tray (2 screws I think)
4. Holding the tray in place against the bodywork, gently turn the Stingray right side up and set it on the towel
5. Gently lift the bodywork panel away from the stereo tray, you'll see a cable that connects the stereo to the display panel in the bodywork panel
6. Lift the outer handle at the cable connector for the display panel. It should automatically remove the male plug from the female jack.
7. Set the bodywork panel (with display unit) aside in a safe place

If all has gone well, you should now be staring at the top of the stereo.

8. Looking at the stereo from the rear, there should be a large connector block on the right side of the rear panel. Pull up on the connector block sliding clip (can't think of the proper name) which should have finger holds on either side. You may need to use a flat head screw driver to ease this up all the way. It may come only part way up and seem to be finished. Don't be fooled. When it is really all the way up the connector will automatically pull away from the stereo. You shouldn't need to pull back on the connector plug at all to remove it.

Optional: If you want to temporarily remove the stereo from the tray remove the two screws in the front (they hold a metal brace over a rubber seal) and one nut that holds a bolt which goes through a bracket at the rear of the stereo. This nut will be located on the other side of the tray. Once the two screws at the front and the rear nut are removed, the stereo (with the rubber seal attached) can gently be worked out of the tray.

This optional step above may not be needed at all. I suggest skipping it until or unless you need the extra working room it allows.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps the most interesting part of this is locating and modifying the 10-pin female plug that will go into the back of the stereo. I found mine by going to an auto salvage yard and having it removed from a 1997 or 1999 BMW 5-series (wagon). I suspect that a lot of BMW cars from certain eras all use the same connector but I don't know. Maybe look at 1996 - 2003 3 and 5 series models with CD changers? (Just did some checking, it looks like the stereos in E-36 3-series cars ('94 - '98) use this same CD changer plug. E46 cars may use it as well.) I suggest having the yard cut the cabling about 12" from the stereo and buying the whole connector block that goes into the back of the car stereo. The part cost me all of $10 and the CD changer plug it included was a perfect fit for the KLT stereo.

The alternative is to use the computer plug John talks about elsewhere in this thread. I haven't tried that so I can't advise on what to do but I'm sure John can.

The advantage to using the actual BMW plug is that it works with the stock clip (which one gets from the BMW car connector block). Once the plug is slid fully into the stock BMW KLT connector block, that blue plastic retaining clip slides in from the side and locks it in place. It makes for a neat and clean install and no hassles when re-attaching the connector block to the KLT stereo.

The plug I bought (with the car connector block) had a metal housing (ground/shielding) and angled its cable towards the outside of the cable. To remove it from the BMW car stereo connector block, simply remove the blue sliding pin (described above) and slide it out.

The plug I bought had four female pin sleeves which is the minimum number needed for this project if you're going to pull power and ground from somewhere else.

This schematic (http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachme...achmentid=4610) shows pinouts which match those on my 2000 LT. For the DICE, one needs to have female pin sleeves in the plug so their positions match pins 1, 5, 9 and 10 on the back of the stereo. The car plug I bought had four pins but they weren't all in the right locations so I needed to gently take the plug apart and move the pin sleeves to the proper positions. It requires steady hands and patience to do this. First gently work the metal shield covers off the plug. Next remove the retaining clip that slides over the outside of the plug. Then, using fine needle-nose pliers move the pin sleeves into positions 1, 5, 9 and 10 (relative to the pins on the back of the stereo). For BMW consistency one might want to solder the following wire colors to the wires coming from the pin sleeves:

matching Pin 1 on the stereo: white wire (I-Bus connection) to pin sleeve
matching Pin 5 on the stereo: brown wire (audio - common ground) to pin sleeve
matching Pin 9 on the stereo: yellow wire (audio + right) to pin sleeve
matching Pin 10 on the stereo: black wire (audio + left) to pin sleeve

Reinstall the plug's retaining clip so that the pin sleeves are now locked in their new position. Now gently re-install the two-piece metal shield on the plug. If you want to draw ground from this plug shield you can connect a wire to the metal casing either by pressure fitting it (under the metal shield casing) or soldering. Just check to make sure the ground wire addition won't interfere with the plug seating fully back in the connector with the blue clip retaining it. Officially, the ground wire should be brown with a black tracer line.

I stripped the insulation off a section of the red wire that goes into the main stereo harness, soldered on a jumper wire and used this as the power source for the DICE unit. I ran this to a switch mounted in the plastic cover above the stereo (see pictures attached above) and then continued a red wire towards the DICE. The switch I chose has a red "on" indicator light and so I got the ground for this light from the ground wire that was bound for the Dice. Apparently the DICE can otherwise draw enough current, when the bike is sitting for a few days, to run down a battery.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9. Slide the new plug fully into the connector block and then slide in the blue retaining clip to secure it.

10. Line the connector block up with the pins on the back of the stereo and carefully push down on the sliding clip to lock it back in place. The motion of the clip should automatically pull the block in over the pins (including the new CD changer plug).

11. At this point, if you're feeling brave, you can now cut the DICE harness about 10" from *the connector that goes into the DICE Silverline unit itself*. Buy a rubber grommet that is just large enough for this DICE harness bundle (it should be wrapped in cloth tape - see photos above) to pass through. Then drill a hole in the plastic cover above the stereo which is just large enough to mount this grommet in (see pictures above). Mount the grommet in the hole and then slide the DICE harness wire bundle through.

12. This arrangement allows for all of the wiring connections to be made behind the plastic cover making for a (hopefully) neat install. The connections are:

Dice harness grey wire to white wire from plug (I-Bus)
Dice harness blue wire(s) to brown or grey wire from plug (audio - )
Dice harness red wire to yellow wire from plug (right audio +)
Dice harness white wire to black wire from plug (left audio +)
Dice harness black wire to brown w/black tracer wire from plug (ground)
Dice harness yellow wire to red wire from new power switch (power +)

Trim wires to desired length, solder and insulate with heat shrink tubing.

13. Re-assembly, as they say, is the reverse of dis-assembly. re-assemble...

14. Opening the cover for the oddments case you should now see your new DICE/Ipod power switch and a single harness wrapped in cloth tape and ending in a plug for the DICE unit.

15. Install the plug in the DICE unit and also install the plug at the end of the IPOD cable.

16. Install the DICE Silverline controller on the floor of the oddments case using HD velcro.

17. Mount your IPod in the oddments case as desired. I happen to like the high capacity hard-drive Ipods so I built up layers of high density foam tape (sometimes sold for mounting pickup truck caps) to create a custom fitted sort of isolating cradle for my Ipod Classic (see picture above). It holds the Ipod (in its case) from below and on three sides. Then one more strip mounted on the bottom of the oddments case cover pushes down gently to hold the Ipod in place. The only contact the Ipod has with anything but high density foam is through the cable to the DICE unit. So far no problems even after some high rev. rides in the Smokies.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner

post #23 of 30 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRodPete
One thing I found was that as soon as I unplug the 6 Cd changer, that the radio will no longer switch over to it. I assume that is the white i-buss wire controlling that? what sort of a signal do you put on that wire to get the radio to think it has a changer attached? Once that is done then I can run the audio in and get rid of my crappy cassette adapter for my XM radio too
I think you need something like this: http://www.mobilcaraudio.com/catalog...38/1476116.htm

I also like BMW cars so I picked up a couple of these units for about $4.00 each when Circuit City was going out of business (in case I wanted to use them with some future older used BMW car purchases). I haven't tried them but it seems that they should communicate with the I-Bus and allow two aux devices to come in through RCA jacks.

According to my instructions:

CD 6 track 1 goes to the AUX 1 audio inputs
CD 6 track 2 goes to the AUX 2 audio inputs

The cable included seems to have dual male plugs ( 6-pin plus 3-pin) for the CD changer cable plug and then an 8-pin circular plug that goes into the DF-BMW unit itself.

Cheers,

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner

post #24 of 30 Old Apr 14th, 2009, 9:40 am

thanks Shawn. I will see if I can dig one of these up.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #25 of 30 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Thanks a bundle. I can't wait to get back home and get this project hooked up.
post #26 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2010, 9:56 am

Hi Guys,

Great thread, i've been having a devils own job trying to pull all the bits and pieces together to power up my 5th generation i-Pod Nano to fit my 03 K1200LT here in England and like Shaun can't belive how complex a job it can be through the 'official' route so am going to try the mod that Shaun has completed.

I'll take images as i go and post them for future reference as i'm guessing that this will be a popular mod once we have an easy to follow installation guide pulled together.

Biffo
03 K1200LT
post #27 of 30 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 6:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffo
Hi Guys,

Great thread, i've been having a devils own job trying to pull all the bits and pieces together to power up my 5th generation i-Pod Nano to fit my 03 K1200LT here in England and like Shaun can't belive how complex a job it can be through the 'official' route so am going to try the mod that Shaun has completed.

I'll take images as i go and post them for future reference as i'm guessing that this will be a popular mod once we have an easy to follow installation guide pulled together.

Biffo
03 K1200LT
I'll be interested to see that. Good luck. It would be great if you have time to make pictures of the process as you work.

Cheers,

Sean (spelled in the traditional Irish way though I'm mostly Scottish-French <G>)

Sean Reid
2000 LT
Owner

Last edited by sreid; Apr 13th, 2010 at 7:25 am.
post #28 of 30 Old Apr 16th, 2010, 8:54 am

Guys, If you do not want to make a cable for the Dice unit .. and want to stuff it all in the oddments box ... I found a solution.. I went on the hunt for a cable that would let me put the dice unit and attached cable in the stingray above the radio, and then only have the actual ipod connect cable laying in the oddments tray.. and I FOUND IT !! this little cable allows you to unplug the factory cable plug it inline and add the small one for the audio.. and a custom Dice unit connector to boot !! It all fits.. but tight.. I actually trimmed the complex connector lock mechanism to clear some extra space but it is all very cool !!
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=664

Once I get home I can take a photo of the oddments install, but it is not really much to see as all there is to see is the little black ipod cable laying there !! I did include the image of the cable tho...
I only have the radio and cd player in the oddments and no intercom, so there is actually tons of room above the radio !!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dicer17_main.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	26974  

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #29 of 30 Old Apr 18th, 2010, 8:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billd
Guys, If you do not want to make a cable for the Dice unit .. and want to stuff it all in the oddments box ... I found a solution.. I went on the hunt for a cable that would let me put the dice unit and attached cable in the stingray above the radio, and then only have the actual ipod connect cable laying in the oddments tray.. and I FOUND IT !! this little cable allows you to unplug the factory cable plug it inline and add the small one for the audio.. and a custom Dice unit connector to boot !! It all fits.. but tight.. I actually trimmed the complex connector lock mechanism to clear some extra space but it is all very cool !!
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=664

Once I get home I can take a photo of the oddments install, but it is not really much to see as all there is to see is the little black ipod cable laying there !! I did include the image of the cable tho...
I only have the radio and cd player in the oddments and no intercom, so there is actually tons of room above the radio !!
Do you know if this will work if you don't have the factory CD wiring in place?
Thanks,

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #30 of 30 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 10:36 pm

Thumbs up Re: Making Custom Cable For Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
Do you know if this will work if you don't have the factory CD wiring in place?
Thanks,
HI.. the answer is YES.. That is exactly why I hunted this out.. my 05' did not have the cd changer in the saddlebag, or the cable that could hook it up back there.. so I had nothing to connect the DICE unit to.. until I found this cable.. and then I was able to shoehorn the entire cable,DICE and extension all inside the stingray above the factory radio/single CD.. :<)

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in