radio-aux. input jack - 05 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

radio-aux. input jack - 05 LT

Hello everyone,
I have an 05 KLT. I have purchased a Lowrance i500 GPS which includes a 10gb mp3 hardrive built in. Does the radio on the 05 LT have a aux. input jack so that I can play the mp3 through the bike stereo speakers? If anyone has knowledge about this it may save me removing a lot of plastic.
Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 6:58 pm

You need a comm system such as the V.O.I.C.E II, Autocomm, etc. But, here's something that works great. Go to Wal*Mart, the iPod section, and get the Belkin FM modulator. Plugs into the AUX /output of your MP3 player and transmits an FM signal. Tune your radio (manual) to find a 'clear' FM frequency, and your MP3 player with this device will play on that frequency. Quick, dirty, and sounds damn good! PM me if any questions.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #3 of 54 Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:19 pm

There is an input on the 05 stereo. You must build your own plug to fit the input that is located on the back of the stereo. Check the Hall of wisdom, radio mods. It requires buying specific parts and making a plug that fits.

The volume of the input is very low and the volume does not match the radio or CD.

post #4 of 54 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 1:53 am

I have used the iPod cable from the BMW Automobile side and it plugs right into the back of the radio on the LT, no issues what so ever.

The part number is 65 120 153 501. Its the same one used on my 2005 BMW 330 Ci Convertible.

I installed the cable to install my XM XT on my 2005 LT. I did not need the expensive Voice Com system which was not necessary for me to have. I just needed a simple input into the radio for my XM or iPod. The cable was around $78.00 and is about 3 feet long with a female 3.5mm stereo jack on one end and the BMW connector on the other end. The kit comes with a a mounting plate and the bolt to secure the jack to the mount or in the hole you drill.

I have photos on how I did it that I can e-mail to you. There are older posts on this installation and the cable on this forum. No need for a FM modulator. You will need to max out your iPod's output or XM Roady. Others have recommended adding Boostaroo, a signal amplifier to increase the baseline volume.

I have upgraded my LT from the first Roady unit to the new Roady XT which allows me to direct connect to the radio via the aux cable or run it FM modulated by unplugging the cable where I can enjoy it at a higher volume thus making the need for Boostaroo unnecessary. I only run FM modulated on long high speed trips so I can hear it better and direct connected around town and on the twisties. The Roady XT is nice because of its internal FM Modulator, and easier to use controls and additional features over the Roady 1 or 2, or XM Commander.

If you have a headset in your helmet and you want to listen to your radio in that fashion, then I do recommend the Voice Com system.

Dave Allen
2005 K1200LT, Graphite
2005 330 Ci Convertible, Titanium Silver.

Last edited by Crestwood330; Jan 14th, 2006 at 2:06 am.
post #5 of 54 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:50 am

Garage
Does anyone know if my 2003 has the same aux jack?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #6 of 54 Old Jan 14th, 2006, 11:57 am

I have a 2003 so I don't know for sure but I would think the '05 has the same plug in the back of the radio.

Just this last weekend I installed part number 82 11 0 149 389 from Bavarian Autosport http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp for $39.95. It pluged directly into the back of the radio with no aditional modifications required. I installed the jack into the black plastic next to the BC display.

I had heard alot from others that the volume output from devices was low and needed to be amplified. I did not have this problem with my SKiFi 2.

That being said, not knowing what I may end up pluging into it in the future I did install an amp from Radio Shack. I bought a Cig plug with a 3V out put and cut the ends off and then soldered them onto the apropriate tabs on this Volume Booster

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

from Radio Shack. It all works VERY well and is not hard to install. Sorry I didn't take any picture when I was doing this work. This Z4 car page has some good picture of what the car and the back of the radio look like.

http://www.z4owners.net/FAQ-Upgrades.htm

All of this was taped up and stashed in the void under the fairing next to the left mirror. Fit great.

Last edited by herk402; Jan 14th, 2006 at 12:00 pm. Reason: added info
post #7 of 54 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:25 am

Interesting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwood330
The part number is 65 120 153 501. Its the same one used on my 2005 BMW 330 Ci Convertible.
I called Irvine BMW (auto dealership, not Motorrad) re: this part number and they said it was a German p/n and they could not order it. I also was not able to find it on Bavarian Autosport's site either. My local dealer, when I told them I needed the aux input cable for a 2005 BMW 330Ci, said I needed P/N 82 11 0 149 389, which is the aux input with panel for models without navigation as mentioned in herk402's thread. I will pick this up and see if it works on my 05 LT.

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
post #8 of 54 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 10:38 am

I did the Fm Modulator from Walmart for my Garmin 376C and I get real bad engine noise thru the modulator. I bought a noise filter but have not had a chance to install it ytet. If that does not work i think i will try the part you guys reference above. Thanks for the info.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #9 of 54 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Thank you for those who shared their knowledge to my question. Hopefully others with a similar question got some ideas. I noticed after I posted that their was inquiries of a similar nature. Sorry if this one appeared to be a duplication.

I ordered part # 82110149389 as suggested; cost $118.00 in Canada.
Apparently cost went up from $70 something recently.

I have the plastic off now; for the cost I am not going to risk not installing the aux. input jack while plastic is off.

Thanks again,
Mike McIntosh
post #10 of 54 Old Jan 17th, 2006, 3:36 pm

Well, I installed the noise filter and it appears to have taken 9% of the noise out. I can still hear a faint whine based on engine RPM. I think that I will not hear it once on the road and riding. I will not know for sure until I can get out and ride some. Weather will not be cooperating in the next few days.

I had search this site for that info in the past and could not come up with anything that is why I went the route I did. I may eventually go the direct route but I will try the FM modulator for now. With the modulator on I will not be able to listen to FM. Not a big deal because I have XM but just wondering if I will ever need the FM. HMMM....

Thanks for posting the part number I have bookmarked it and will probably go and buy it just to have it when I decide to remove FM MOdulator. I feel I am already getting to that point. Oh well. Just the things go sometimes.

Jim

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #11 of 54 Old Jan 18th, 2006, 9:19 pm

376C on 05'

I am connecting a Garmin 376C to my 05' that is currently equipt with an Autocom unit connected to the LT radio/CD and to my cell phone. The 376C has the audio out "headphone/stereo jack" and also has "voice" out wires within the power/data connector. I will be using the XM radio feature of the 376C and also need to retain the use of the LT radio, CD player and cell phone. Will I have all I need if I use an Autocom twin input adapter and connect the 376C to the Autocom "music in"? Also will the voice commands on the 376C cancel the XM music, as the cell phone does with the radio?
post #12 of 54 Old Jan 19th, 2006, 9:13 am

My inderstanding is that there is a part from BMW that will allow you to plug the 376C into the AUX of your radio. However, I have been working this same situation the last week or so. I had originally run a stereo lead to my XM radio to the autocomm. With this setup you can only hear the music with the helmet on and plugged in. So what I did with My 376C was buy an FM modulator and install it in the bike. This works very well. The problem I have noticed and since fixed was excessive engine tick and whine. I put a noise filter on the power leads of the 376 and fm modulator. This removed about 99% of the noise and I believe that the remaining one percent won't be heard while riding. With FM modulator I can listen to the XM thru the factory system as well as the Autocomm. The output on the power cord for the 376C also carries music but it is a mono signal. So you will have to use the stereo out if you want stereo.

Now back to original Statement about a part that will plug into the factory radio allowing you to use the AUX on the stereo. Here is a link to the part. http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp#undefined

Part Number 82 11 0 149 389 It sells for about $40.

This is the ideal solution, at least for me. I did not know about this solution until after I installed the FM Mod. I will probably end up doing this install if I do not like the FM MOD. I ahve not been able to get and ride yet because the weather is not cooperating.

With either solution the voice command does cancel or mute the radio.

Jim

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #13 of 54 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 9:20 am

Unhappy Aux cable works, but low volume

I installed part number 82 11 0 149 389 on my '05 LT this weekend. It was fairly easy - I had to remove the skins, remove the stingray and open the radio compartment in it to get to the connector. Installed perfectly into an open slot in the master radio connector, I needed to pull out a blue retainer clip to get it into the slot and then re-install the retainer. I ran the cable out and tie-wrapped it to the other radio connectors, so the ends are all together. I brought the input cable (1/8" - 1/8" stereo) from my BMR shelf down through the nose and up to the bike-side radio connectors.

Powered up the radio, selected AUX and for a while thought I had screwed something up - but the volume was just really low. I needed to bring my radio volume up to the max before I was able to hear the sound from my Sirius radio. I don't like this, because if I switch back to CD or radio (AM/FM) I will blast my speakers to kingdom come. So, it appears that this input needs a strong signal to drive it to acceptable volume levels. I will look into a booster that I will mount adjactent to the Sirius radio, such as the radio shack model mentioned (looks like a Boostaroo).

Other than using a booster, the other options are:
- Use the intercom, with a "Y" input cable on the audio input (this is not an option for me as I don't have the helmet headsets)
- Use an in-line FM modulator
- Use the Sirius radio's built-in FM transmitter (not the best sound quality)
- Use the ice>Link Plus source selector (available in the US soon)

So far the aux input is not bowling me over, we'll see how a booster works. Next step for me will be an FM modulator, and if that sounds crappy I will either use the built-in FM transmitter (where I started) or try Dension's source selector when it becomes available.

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #14 of 54 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 6:14 pm

Well, I took my 05 out that I just put the inline FM Modultor into with a noise suppresor. It still sounds like dog Cr-P. Very noisy when getting on and off the throttle. I think I am going to try the cable and booster. To me this would be the best way as per sound quality. I wonder about the booster quality though. I don't want to introduce more noise. Any suggestions?

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #15 of 54 Old Jan 24th, 2006, 8:16 pm

Radio Shack

I picked up Radio Shack's 33-1109 headphone booster (which appears to be a re-branded Boostaroo, in black, $21.99) at lunchtime today. I will set it up tonight and use it for a few days with my Sirius radio's audio output jack. I will be able to compare between this "direct/boosted" AUX connection and the Sirius's built-in FM transmitter through the LT radio and see which sounds best.

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #16 of 54 Old Jan 25th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Well, I got the bike back togehter and just got back from a quick 10 minute ride and the noise is gone. I went directly into the AUX position on the Stereo with no booster and volume is very good. Engine noise there but once you are at speed it is undectable. I mounted the female end of the plug in the glove box where the single cd is loacted. This way it is out of the weather and if I want to plug my mp3 player in I can. I routed the audio from the gps thru the existing stereos wire into the box and out in front of the cd on the right side. Everything works perfectly. I am very happy with this connection. Thanks for posting.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #17 of 54 Old Jan 26th, 2006, 6:39 pm

Bob, I've been meaning to ask you what Sirius unit do you have? I know that one of the menu options on my AudioVox unit is volume out. I've used it to cut the volume out the cassette adapter I use in my truck. Does the unit your using have a Audio/Volume out setting under the Menu settings?

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #18 of 54 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 3:51 pm

Thumbs down Must be my Sirius unit...

Well my experiment with the Radio Shack booster to raise the audio level from my Sirius radio into my AUX jack was not very helpful - it does boost the signal a little bit, but nowhere near enough to use the audio output from my "Sirius One" (SV1) radio at the same volume settings as my FM, CD, or iPod (iceLink) inputs. This is with the output volume control of the Sirius radio set to max. It must just be a weak output, or maybe its an impedance matching issue - but I literally have to have the LT's radio volume control at "max" to be able to hear the Sirius radio at or near the same volume as the other sources. If I used this, and forgot to lower the volume before switching to CD or FM, I would surely toast my speakers (or LT radio).

Guess I am sticking with the built-in FM transmitter of the Sirius unit, it works pretty well most of the time, I just wanted a cleaner, more optimal signal but it doesn't look like this will pan out. At least I have an extra audio input I can use for a future farkle!

Enjoy,
OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #19 of 54 Old Jan 27th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Exclamation Did you try this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atps1234
It must just be a weak output, or maybe its an impedance matching issue - but I literally have to have the LT's radio volume control at "max" to be able to hear the Sirius radio at or near the same volume as the other sources.
I have seen issues with smaller hand-held type devices have too weak of a signal to drive an amp. BUT...I have yet to hear that you've checked the most obvious (to me) culprit here yet. Have you tried a different patch cord from your Sirius radio to the Aux port? Rule Numeral Uno in sound reinforcement is: IT'S ALWAYS THE CABLE!!! One little short in that cable will cause a huge drop in signal as you've described.

When I installed my GPS, I had a very distorted signal to my intercom unit. I was very dissatisfied with the quality and volume. Fortunately, I had two identical cables as I had bought a second one for the use on my Ninja. I swapped out the cable, and Viola! PERFECT sound!

Let's hope it's just this simple for you.
post #20 of 54 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 7:11 am

Huh...

Come to think of it, I didn't try another cable. I seriously just rummaged through my "audio cables" drawer and found a stereo 1/8"-1/8" cable and that was that! I will give it a shot - what the hell, just means pulling the skins and stingray one more time...

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #21 of 54 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 7:13 am

And don't even feed it through the Tupperware or anything. Just go directly from the Sirius unit to the jack. I'm crossing my fingers for ya.
post #22 of 54 Old Jan 28th, 2006, 7:18 am

Red face Almost forgot!

OH...one last thing. Make sure the cables are going all the way into both jacks. Sometimes the plastic boot of the plug is either a little too long or round and it doesn't allow the plug to go ALL the way into the jack. This will also result in reduced and/or distorted sound.

(I had to take a sharp razor to my cell phone cable in order to get it to go all the way in.)
post #23 of 54 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 12:19 am

Cool Tomorrow

Well I had grand dreams of getting the stingray off today to try a different cable... then I remembered I told my wife I would help her in the yard... then noticed one of the sprinklers had blown its top and was shooting water all over the front yard... then that the water heater had sometime recently started leaking water all over my wife's studio (in the garage)... waiting "from 2-6PM" for the plumber... and that the battery on the harley was dead...

Well at least I did do one meaningful (maybe?) test today. While I didn't have the energy at 7PM to start on the tupperware party, I did do a test of sound levels between the audio out jack on the Sirius SV1 and my wife's iPod mini, using a set of earpods. Right away, it was clear that the Sirius output, directly from the output mini phone jack to the ear pods/phones, was way less than the iPod, again at max. volume on the Sirius unit. I was able to note that the level at max output of the Sirius One is equivalent to roughly 40% of max volume on the iPod mini.

So this is at least half the problem, a wimpy audio out on the SV1. Will try a new patch cable tomorrow just for grins.

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #24 of 54 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 7:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by atps1234
Well at least I did do one meaningful (maybe?) test today. While I didn't have the energy at 7PM to start on the tupperware party, I did do a test of sound levels between the audio out jack on the Sirius SV1 and my wife's iPod mini, using a set of earpods. Right away, it was clear that the Sirius output, directly from the output mini phone jack to the ear pods/phones, was way less than the iPod, again at max. volume on the Sirius unit. I was able to note that the level at max output of the Sirius One is equivalent to roughly 40% of max volume on the iPod mini.
Yea that sure does sound like a valid test...good thinking'. It also deflates my hopes for a bad cable. Bummer. Any chance your SV1 is still under warranty?
post #25 of 54 Old Jan 29th, 2006, 6:57 pm

That is a bummer about the output of the radio. I took my LT out on Saturday with the Garmin 376C and all works very well. Engine whine is hardly noticable. Volume on the LT is very low. I think the volume on the 376 is about 3/4s up. I am using an Autocomm Intercom and the sound is very good.

Sorry for your troubles with the AUX. Hopefully a new cable will help some.

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #26 of 54 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Yep it's the Sirius SV1

Confirmed with a brand-new cable, with metal connectors to rule out issues with molded plugs. Same issue, with output to max on the SV1 I am able to hear it through the AUX input only with the radio to max volume. I am ready to conclude that this unit just has a low output out of the audio jack, works fine with the built-in FM transmitter I just wanted to see if I could get higher quality.

Well I have an AUX input waiting for something with balls on the output!

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #27 of 54 Old Jan 30th, 2006, 3:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Question

Did you try anything else plugged in to see if it is that the output of the Sirius Radio is just too low.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #28 of 54 Old Jan 31st, 2006, 9:46 am

Yes I plugged in an iPod Mini which was much louder. In fact, the Sirius radio at full volume is the same level as the sound from the iPod Mini at only 40% volume.

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

post #29 of 54 Old Feb 1st, 2006, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Smile A Success

[QUOTE=685ursus] I ordered part # 82110149389 as suggested; cost $118.00 in Canada.
Apparently cost went up from $70 something recently.[end of quote]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have installed the above part #. Hard wired my Lowrance i500C with the cable supplied. i500C has a MP3 built in. Loaded music onto unit plugged it into the bike using aux. input jack. Works excellent, excellent volume and sound quality... no need for a multi CD unit, I think. Have not started bike yet, so I do not know if there is any electrical interference. Mounted GPS on dash area in similar spot where factory GPS is mounted. Used Ram mounts, no holes drilled.

Mike McIntosh
2005 K1200LT, 2008 K1200S
1998 K1200RS-sold May 2006
BMWMOA,BMWRA

Last edited by 685ursus; Feb 1st, 2006 at 4:15 pm.
post #30 of 54 Old Feb 14th, 2006, 10:42 pm

Today I installed the automobile AUX cable on the 05 LT. My mini disk player with a 32 ohm headphone out put is lower in volume for a given setting by a factor of 10 when compared to the the FM radio. Tried adding a BoosterRoo and while it increaded the volume some it is still nowhere near the FM volume. I then tried my portable CD player and received the same results. With the headphone jack (.5mw + .5mw @ 16 ohms) it is the same as the minidisk player headphone jack and the line out (output level .07mv @ 47K ohms) is about the same as adding the BoosterRoo to the minidisk player.

Can one of you who have devices that have an output level comparable to the equivalent FM volume setting post the specifications of your device. I can construct an impeadance matiching / output amplifier if I have a general idea of the required specifications. Better yet would be if anyone knows the input specifications of the AUX jack on the audio unit used in the 05 LT.

Many thanks for any and all information anyone can provide.
post #31 of 54 Old Feb 15th, 2006, 9:29 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Andy,

My latest attempt was to place a couple of 3.2 ohm to 320 ohm transformers in line. ( Had them in the junk box) 3.2 from the device 320 to the aux. It brought the level darn near the same as the FM, BUT at a price. It is very tinny, so I have lost the low frequency response. I think I'll be fine with it as I only use the speakers and at speed the lows go away anyway. Have not had a chance to see how it sounds on the road due to weather. Will keep trying for a solution.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #32 of 54 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 1:51 pm

Thanks John, I had picked up some 8 ohm to 1000 ohm center tapped transformers to play with. If yours are like mine they only have a frequency response of 300 - 10k HZ. so it would make a noticable change on both ends of the sound curve. I figured under the conditions on the road that it wouldn't be too bad though so I will play around with them. I am afraid that xformers with the desired impedance and frequency response will be too large for practical use.
post #33 of 54 Old Feb 16th, 2006, 4:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I got a good ride in today (actually a little warm 70 degrees) I was fine with the sound quality of the music so I guess I am done until I decide to get one of those FM antenna injection units. I had no specs on the transformers, they are epoxy squares about 3/8 inch.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #34 of 54 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 11:29 am

Smile ipod connection

OK guys,
You're all a little too sophisticated in the av area for me. After reading all of the thread, I'm still not sure if I can hook my ipod up to an aux. jack on the back of my 2002 LT. (or if it has one) My 2002 radio died and was replaced with a newer version, I supect. The casette which was in the glove box was replaced with a singe cd player, so I'm not certain exactly what model year it is but it appears to be the same as a friends 05 LT.
I don't care about being able to control the ipod from the radio controls, as I just put the ipod on shuffle anyways. Can someone clarify this for me and if so, what cable can be used?
Thanks in advance
post #35 of 54 Old Mar 12th, 2006, 4:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Dave,

The easy way to tell is to press the "CD" button and see if "AUX" appears in the radio read out. If it does then scroll back to "atps1234's" post in this thread and follow it for part number and install of the BMW (automobile) aux cable. This will allow you to feed your i-pod into the stereo.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #36 of 54 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 3:57 pm

jack

Thank You-BTW it does display aux.
post #37 of 54 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 4:53 pm

Most FM transmitters are poor at best. Based on report from Ipod - ILOUNGE.COM I bought the Kensington - Digital FM Transmitter/Auto Charger for iPod®
Model number: 33185
Price: $79.99

It works great. It will tune any station and has 3 station presets.

This past week I went to Daytona and only problem I had was in some areas where the stations were close/on my presets. Other than that, it works great- NO noise or static and easy to use.

I put it in my tank bag with the Ipod. That along with the ABT iJet Wireless RF Remote gives me wireless link and remote on bike or car.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #38 of 54 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 5:34 pm

Question

Dave,
What about when you're traveling from point a to point b. My experience with the ipod transmitter is that there is a lot of bleed through as you move into different areas that may have a stronger signal at or near what you're tuned into. What keeps that from happening with your unit?
post #39 of 54 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Question Adjusting level of auxillary sensitivity

I am looking at setting up satellite radio on my 2002 LT. The direct link into auxiliary seems like the best option. I do have the "Aux" option on my unit but I see that some of you are having issues with volume. At some of the BMW auto forums there is an indication that you can adjust the level of aux input sensitivity by pressing the button with the musical note and holding it. I tried this and get the following on my screen: "Aux L in". There does not seem to be any way to change this setting unless there is some button sequence pushing instructions that I am not aware of. I am thinking it may not function unless it senses a feed. Can anyone confirm what this function does and whether it can improve the volume of the sat radio playing through the Aux?
post #40 of 54 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 9:31 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I don't know for sure, but I'd suggest when you get "Aux L in" that you try pushing the volume + on the handlebars. Maybe that will adjust the level? Then push the musical note again and see if you get "Aux R in" (maybe not if L stands for Level instead of Left). Otherwise, get the Aux cable and try the same thing with your satellite radio connected.

I sure wish we had someone at Becker or BMW that could provide a proper manual for the radio system. I'm sure it's capable of much more than we know about.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #41 of 54 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 10:00 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Cool,

Hope that is what it is "AUX Level". I would try it but she is in the shop getting a rear tranny seal replaced under warranty. It tough to be bikeless.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #42 of 54 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 12:14 pm

Garage
Thumbs up

FYI,

I just boughtthis Auxiliary Audio Input off ebay for $32 bucks plus $9 for S+H from a BMW Dealer in VA.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-A...48569341QQrdZ1

I like using paypal over the 'net whenever possible. Still unsure about e-commerce security!

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #43 of 54 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 1:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiet
At some of the BMW auto forums there is an indication that you can adjust the level of aux input sensitivity by pressing the button with the musical note and holding it. I tried this and get the following on my screen: "Aux L in". There does not seem to be any way to change this setting unless there is some button sequence pushing instructions that I am not aware of. I am thinking it may not function unless it senses a feed. Can anyone confirm what this function does and whether it can improve the volume of the sat radio playing through the Aux?
When I push and hold the musical note I get "Tone LIN" no matter the source selected. This resets the Fader, Bass, and Treble to "0". I can't find "Aux L in."

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #44 of 54 Old May 10th, 2006, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiet
I am looking at setting up satellite radio on my 2002 LT. The direct link into auxiliary seems like the best option. I do have the "Aux" option on my unit but I see that some of you are having issues with volume. At some of the BMW auto forums there is an indication that you can adjust the level of aux input sensitivity by pressing the button with the musical note and holding it. I tried this and get the following on my screen: "Aux L in". There does not seem to be any way to change this setting unless there is some button sequence pushing instructions that I am not aware of. I am thinking it may not function unless it senses a feed. Can anyone confirm what this function does and whether it can improve the volume of the sat radio playing through the Aux?
What was the outcome of all of this? I want to install the Aux cable, too.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #45 of 54 Old May 11th, 2006, 11:34 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I don't think it did what we had hoped it would do. There may be a way to change the level but we don't have sufficient documentation on the radio system. Anybody got an "in" with Becker?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #46 of 54 Old May 11th, 2006, 12:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
When I push and hold the musical note I get "Tone LIN" no matter the source selected. This resets the Fader, Bass, and Treble to "0". I can't find "Aux L in."

I tried this on my 2002 and I get the same thing "Tone LIN"

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #47 of 54 Old May 11th, 2006, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by munson
What was the outcome of all of this? I want to install the Aux cable, too.
I'm not sure what the outcome of this thread was either. But if you want install the Aux cable here is a copy of an earilier thread I started:

I found this neat little stereo amplifier that runs on 12V bike supplied power. It has 5 watts per channel, low and high impedance inputs and is very small 3.5" x 2.25". Cost is less than $30.00.
I used this amp to cure the low volume problem when using the BMW car cord for the Aux port. With the amp installed between the audio source (XM radio in my case)and the Aux cable, I was able to turn the volume of the XM radio down and then adjust the amplifier volume to match the volume level of the radio. Works great and you'll have the same volume level when you switch between FM, CD and AUX.
This little amp would work great for any device where you need to boost it's volume. Much, much more powerfull than a Boosteroo and you don't need batteries. On a bike without a factory radio you can turn the volume down on your MP3, Walkman, Ipod, etc. (making their batteries last longer) and have clean undistorted sound to your headsets.
It's make by Canakit:
www.canakit.com
Click on power amplifiers, model UK154. Make sure you order the assembled kit.

Bruce Hodges
post #48 of 54 Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:28 pm

Smile Re: radio-aux. input jack - 05 LT

How do you connect this amp to the AUX?
post #49 of 54 Old May 18th, 2015, 3:03 pm

Re: radio-aux. input jack - 05 LT

2003... LT with Intercom system..

So I installed 82 11 0 149 389

and Nothing... at all...
I put it in the port I assume that the 6 Changer (now removed) was and nothing happens. When installing I had to do a slight modifcation to remove the poke-yoke so this would install where the CD was. So now it was not controlled for up/down orientation, I tried both ways... nothing.

How do I get this radio to switch to have the "CD" now a input plug as the source. I understand I may want to amplify once I get it running, but, how do I even find out if it works if I can't select the source?
post #50 of 54 Old May 18th, 2015, 7:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: radio-aux. input jack - 05 LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnPea View Post
2003... LT with Intercom system..

So I installed 82 11 0 149 389

and Nothing... at all...
I put it in the port I assume that the 6 Changer (now removed) was and nothing happens. When installing I had to do a slight modifcation to remove the poke-yoke so this would install where the CD was. So now it was not controlled for up/down orientation, I tried both ways... nothing.

How do I get this radio to switch to have the "CD" now a input plug as the source. I understand I may want to amplify once I get it running, but, how do I even find out if it works if I can't select the source?
You put it in the wrong port - it goes in the "other" one for the intercom. Then you step through to "AUX" on the screen. Sorry.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf radio-plug-wiring-diagram.pdf (319.2 KB, 65 views)

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in