Dension IceLink Installation K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 30th, 2007, 3:45 am Thread Starter

Dension IceLink Installation K1200LT

I have a 2005 K1200LT, I connected my iPod using a standard BMW Dension IceLinkPlus interface for a BMW car. It was purchased from www.mp3yourcar.com, but these guys no longer sell the IceLink Plus for the LT (You can still buy the same product from Dension retailers and ebay though

My Bike is a UK spec 2005 K1200LT SE with an electric centre stand. It was not fitted with a CD changer. I did a lot of research so that I could connect the iPod and I eventually chose the IceLinkPlus because I wanted to control the iPod using the handle bar mounted controls.

The installation was easy but required removal of a lot of the plastics. The issues I found were with my 30gb 4th generation iPod as it would freeze after about 10/40 miles (I had heard of this problem on a number of forums) so I started to use my iPod Nano, This was amazing and never froze...ever! I suspect the problem was with the location and / or mounting of the hard disk driven iPod, the solid state version never had any problems - ever!

If you don't have a CD changer you will need to purchase a CD changer cable from a BMW dealer, these are about £35 inc VAT in the UK.

Installation (Assuming no CD Changer fitted)
1. Remove both side fairings, remove radio cover, remove radio, remove radio from water proof casing.
2. Purchase cable (see photo for part number)
3. Remove cable harness from radio and install new purchased cable not required for bikes fitted with a CD changer
4. Install radio back into water proof casing and re-install radio, radio cover etc
5. You now have a extra plug for the connection for the CD changer. This is a direct connection into the IceLinkPlus. I coiled mine under the left hand fairing but you could take it to the side case or where ever you want it
6. Connect the IceLinkPlus to the CD changer cable and route the iPod dock connection cable (mine was ordered without the active cradle) to where ever you want the iPod (I mounted mine in the radio cubby)
7. Test, You can access the iPod simply by pressing the CD button twice, you can control the iPod tracks and play lists simply by moving the seek button, press once (either left or right) for up or down tracks) press and hold for 2 seconed to change play list (The IceLinkPlus sees the iPod as a changer and each play list as a CD). Increase or decrease volume using the handlebar mounted volume control
8. reassemble the plastic

The whole installation took me an evening and and has been truoble free for nearly two years now!

Issues
1. The had disk iPods seen to freeze (I think this is either due to vibration or heat), use a Nano and the problem goes away!
2. The text display does not work on the 04 and later generation bikes (I have heard it works on earlier bikes but have never seen one)
3. Its a lot of plastic to remove!
4. If you have a CD changer it will no longer work as you have to disconnect it (Dension do now make a kit that retains the changer but I don't know if this will work on the LT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00090.JPG
Views:	583
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	12071   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00091.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	12072  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dension.pdf (133.2 KB, 320 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 30th, 2007, 5:44 am

I see this is your first post . . . welcome to the wonderful world of posting.

The Dension ice>Link, ice>Link Plus, and their latest product "Dice" is nothing new to this forum. Using the search feature will yield you many many threads. Just enter "Dension" into your search.

As for the ice>Link, the scrolling text feature actually works on the pre-'05 LT models. I don't think anyone ever got that feature to work on the newer LTs. Worked great on my '02. And you are correct, I found that any iPod with a harddrive will lockup with or without an ice>Link on any bike. Placement is CRITICAL. My 60GB iPod works great as long as it's protected from vibrations. In the top of my tankbag works best, whether on my LT, Ninja, and now my GT.

FWIW, I installed my ice>Link behind the right mirror. And all without taking off one, single piece of Tupperware. If you're good at feeding cabling, it's not too hard to feed the ice>Link's cable from under the seat to under the nosecone. But then again, I've pulled more than my share of cabling, and I know the innards of the LT pretty well. YMMV

Lastly, I do have an ice>Link Plus available if anyone would like to take a shot at this mod. PM me an offer.
post #3 of 4 Old May 30th, 2007, 7:33 am Thread Starter

Hi there yes this is my first post but I wrote it mainly for the brits amonst us! The european bikes don't have cd changers as standard and the wiring used is different to that used on US spec bikes hence the need to remove loads of plastic and the radio and replace the wiring loom from the radio.

It was this forum that I understood that I could do this addition and its a great source of information...I just thought this might help those of us over here who don't have cd changers! And everytime I logged on I got a little note that said I had not posted anything, so rather than lurk in the shadows any longer I thought I'd post a note.

Now about the HID conversions...............

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 7:44 am

Re: Dension IceLink Installation K1200LT

does this unit allow you to see the track name on the LCD screen?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in