iphone cable.....need BMW version? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Scubadoc
  • 1 Post By PadG
  • 1 Post By PadG
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 3:43 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North East, PA, USA
Posts: 227
iphone cable.....need BMW version?

i want to play music stored on my iphone 6 through the '15 RT audio system. Is this a bluetooth wireless function, or do i plug the phone into the cable in the right glove box? If yes, do I need to buy the $ BMW cable for this, or can I use any Radio Shack cable?

Thanks

2015 R1200RT WC....Ebony, fully loaded
japgen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 5:37 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Fort Washington, MD
Posts: 542
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japgen View Post
i want to play music stored on my iphone 6 through the '15 RT audio system. Is this a bluetooth wireless function, or do i plug the phone into the cable in the right glove box? If yes, do I need to buy the $ BMW cable for this, or can I use any Radio Shack cable?

Thanks
Cable: you don't need the pricey BMW version. You can get a Chinese knockoff from Amazon or EBay. Mine works fine, just make sure that you have the correct matching ends. A different approach, which I use and works well, is to purchase a Bluetooth dongle that fits onto the same installed cable. I purchased it from Amazon. Called Tune 2 Air, costs about$80, but works well and saves space in that small compartment. You then synch the dongle to the iPhone. Make sure that it is the last device you pair, i.e., Unplug the dongle while everything else is pairing, otherwise the BMW Bluetooth likes trying to pair with the dongle and that won't work. Once paired you can use your iPhone either as an iPod or to listen to Pandora or Beats, or station of your choice.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
Scubadoc is offline  
post #3 of 38 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 6:35 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Fort Washington, MD
Posts: 542
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdruymd View Post
Cable: you don't need the pricey BMW version. You can get a Chinese knockoff from Amazon or EBay. Mine works fine, just make sure that you have the correct matching ends.
This is the cable I ordered from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
Scubadoc is offline  
 
post #4 of 38 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 8:35 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North East, PA, USA
Posts: 227
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdruymd View Post
This is the cable I ordered from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks for the link. I will need a different cable for the iphone 6. I'm sure there is one, will just need to do a google search.

2015 R1200RT WC....Ebony, fully loaded
japgen is offline  
post #5 of 38 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 8:46 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,546
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdruymd View Post
Cable: you don't need the pricey BMW version. You can get a Chinese knockoff from Amazon or EBay. Mine works fine, just make sure that you have the correct matching ends. A different approach, which I use and works well, is to purchase a Bluetooth dongle that fits onto the same installed cable. I purchased it from Amazon. Called Tune 2 Air, costs about$80, but works well and saves space in that small compartment. You then synch the dongle to the iPhone. Make sure that it is the last device you pair, i.e., Unplug the dongle while everything else is pairing, otherwise the BMW Bluetooth likes trying to pair with the dongle and that won't work. Once paired you can use your iPhone either as an iPod or to listen to Pandora or Beats, or station of your choice.
Agree with the knock-off cable, BUT be careful! If you have the newer Iphone/iPod with the new Lightning connector, do NOT buy the cable that have the Lightning connection rather than the 30-pins that you show in the one that you said you bought! That one will NOT work!

Another hint is that to convert from the 30-pins to Lightning, do not use the solid, one piece converter. You will find that if you plug that solid converter to your iPhone/iPod and then plug in the 30-pins connector of the cable, the total length of the solid assembly is too long to fit inside of the audio compartment! You will need to buy the short 30-pins to Lightning cable instead. Another hint is that, do NOT buy the knock-off 30-pins/Lightning cable. They will not work. You will need to buy the genuine Apple one.

The above is from personal experience! This is the BMW adapter cable that I had bought (a little cheaper than yours now, but when I bought it the price was under $10):

Amazon.com: Golitonģ BMW iDRIVE iPOD iPHONE iPAD CABLE ADAPTER OEM USB AUX MINI COOPER MASERATI LEAD WIRE CORD PART # 61120440796 & 61120440812: Cell Phones & Accessories

Here is the Apple converter cable ($39 @ Apples):

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightnin...ightning+cable

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #6 of 38 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 9:41 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Fort Washington, MD
Posts: 542
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Agree with above, but it is still a tight squeeze to shove the iPhone, connecting cable, and BMW iPod cable into that small compartment. That is why I went with the Bluetooth dongle. Still leaves room in the compartment for a garage door opener. The other advantage is that you can now mount the iPhone with a Ram mount and use the phone whenever you are not riding.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
Scubadoc is offline  
post #7 of 38 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 12:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,546
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdruymd View Post
Agree with above, but it is still a tight squeeze to shove the iPhone, connecting cable, and BMW iPod cable into that small compartment. That is why I went with the Bluetooth dongle. Still leaves room in the compartment for a garage door opener. The other advantage is that you can now mount the iPhone with a Ram mount and use the phone whenever you are not riding.
I, OTOH, use an Android phone! The connection was for my 64 Gb iPod. I wasn't satisfied with the 32 Gb limit for connecting my MP3 files via the USB.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #8 of 38 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 2:30 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North East, PA, USA
Posts: 227
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Agree with the knock-off cable, BUT be careful! If you have the newer Iphone/iPod with the new Lightning connector, do NOT buy the cable that have the Lightning connection rather than the 30-pins that you show in the one that you said you bought! That one will NOT work!

Another hint is that to convert from the 30-pins to Lightning, do not use the solid, one piece converter. You will find that if you plug that solid converter to your iPhone/iPod and then plug in the 30-pins connector of the cable, the total length of the solid assembly is too long to fit inside of the audio compartment! You will need to buy the short 30-pins to Lightning cable instead. Another hint is that, do NOT buy the knock-off 30-pins/Lightning cable. They will not work. You will need to buy the genuine Apple one.

The above is from personal experience! This is the BMW adapter cable that I had bought (a little cheaper than yours now, but when I bought it the price was under $10):

Amazon.com: Golitonģ BMW iDRIVE iPOD iPHONE iPAD CABLE ADAPTER OEM USB AUX MINI COOPER MASERATI LEAD WIRE CORD PART # 61120440796 & 61120440812: Cell Phones & Accessories

Here is the Apple converter cable ($39 @ Apples):

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightnin...ightning+cable
Am I understanding then that there is not a cable that goes directly from the bike's plug to the iPhone 6 lightning? I MUST go BMW to 30 pin to lightning to connect the iPhone 6?

2015 R1200RT WC....Ebony, fully loaded
japgen is offline  
post #9 of 38 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 2:49 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North East, PA, USA
Posts: 227
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdruymd View Post
Cable: you don't need the pricey BMW version. You can get a Chinese knockoff from Amazon or EBay. Mine works fine, just make sure that you have the correct matching ends. A different approach, which I use and works well, is to purchase a Bluetooth dongle that fits onto the same installed cable. I purchased it from Amazon. Called Tune 2 Air, costs about$80, but works well and saves space in that small compartment. You then synch the dongle to the iPhone. Make sure that it is the last device you pair, i.e., Unplug the dongle while everything else is pairing, otherwise the BMW Bluetooth likes trying to pair with the dongle and that won't work. Once paired you can use your iPhone either as an iPod or to listen to Pandora or Beats, or station of your choice.
Ed, would you happen to know the model number of the Tune 2 Air dongle? The only one i saw on Amazon was only about $15, no where near the $80 you mentioned.

Thanks!

2015 R1200RT WC....Ebony, fully loaded
japgen is offline  
post #10 of 38 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 3:04 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Fort Washington, MD
Posts: 542
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japgen View Post
Ed, would you happen to know the model number of the Tune 2 Air dongle? The only one i saw on Amazon was only about $15, no where near the $80 you mentioned.

Thanks!
I thought you would never ask, LOL. I should have mentioned it in my first post. Price now appears to be $90, but there may be cheaper versions, either on Ebay or Amazon. Here it is:
Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adapter for Car Audio Integration: Cell Phones & Accessories


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
Scubadoc is offline  
post #11 of 38 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 4:23 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North East, PA, USA
Posts: 227
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdruymd View Post
I thought you would never ask, LOL. I should have mentioned it in my first post. Price now appears to be $90, but there may be cheaper versions, either on Ebay or Amazon. Here it is:
Amazon.com: ViseeO Tune2air WMA1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adapter for Car Audio Integration: Cell Phones & Accessories
Ok thanks. I also need the 30 pin adapter cable, like the Goliton item mentioned above too, right? I am concerned about fitting all this gear into that small glove box, which seems like the main advantage of the bluetooth solution.

2015 R1200RT WC....Ebony, fully loaded
japgen is offline  
post #12 of 38 Old Apr 11th, 2015, 4:34 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Fort Washington, MD
Posts: 542
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japgen View Post
Ok thanks. I also need the 30 pin adapter cable, like the Goliton item mentioned above too, right? I am concerned about fitting all this gear into that small glove box, which seems like the main advantage of the bluetooth solution.
Yes, that 30 pin adapter plugs into the Bluetooth dongle. Despite the differential in price, it is a more elegant solution. Your 22K bike now costs $22,090.
HWdesign likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
Scubadoc is offline  
post #13 of 38 Old Apr 12th, 2015, 8:50 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,546
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japgen View Post
Am I understanding then that there is not a cable that goes directly from the bike's plug to the iPhone 6 lightning? I MUST go BMW to 30 pin to lightning to connect the iPhone 6?
The short answer is that you are correct. However, as we have pointed out, you don't have to go BMW. The Chinese knock-off works just fine, but don't buy the one with the Lightning connector already on it. That will not work.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #14 of 38 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 1:12 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North East, PA, USA
Posts: 227
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

OK, one more Q on the Tune 2 Air BT setup:

My iphone 6 is connected and playing through the bike audio, but I am not finding out how to toggle through songs from the controls. Volume control via the multi switch works fine, but can't seem to change songs.

Can anyone help with this?

2015 R1200RT WC....Ebony, fully loaded
japgen is offline  
post #15 of 38 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 5:04 pm
Member
 
Thorvald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 77
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Thanks for the info guys, just ordered one of those myself here in Canada.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003...A24X6BONU07T8U

Now the Apple 30 pin adapter is expensive! $50 up here youch.

Cheers
Tim

2015 R1200RT in San Marino Blue - loaded up.
Thorvald is offline  
post #16 of 38 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 5:17 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Fort Washington, MD
Posts: 542
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japgen View Post
OK, one more Q on the Tune 2 Air BT setup:

My iphone 6 is connected and playing through the bike audio, but I am not finding out how to toggle through songs from the controls. Volume control via the multi switch works fine, but can't seem to change songs.

Can anyone help with this?
If you are using the iPhone as an iPod, make sure the iTunes app is open on the phone. When you click through the various options on the src menu, you should see the iPhone under the aux option. Then you should have the ability to click the wonderwheel forward and select playlists or songs. Make sure that your menu setting is set to audio when you do this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
Scubadoc is offline  
post #17 of 38 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 7:12 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North East, PA, USA
Posts: 227
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdruymd View Post
If you are using the iPhone as an iPod, make sure the iTunes app is open on the phone. When you click through the various options on the src menu, you should see the iPhone under the aux option. Then you should have the ability to click the wonderwheel forward and select playlists or songs. Make sure that your menu setting is set to audio when you do this.
I musty have a configuration issue. The iphone music plays through the bike audio, either through speaker or into helmet bluetooth. But the display only says "aux" no indication of iphone or ipod, and the only wonderwheel function is volume. I have menu set to audio. No go. Any other suggestions?

just out of curiosity, if i were to connect the iphone via cable w/o BT, is the wonderwheel functionality any different?

2015 R1200RT WC....Ebony, fully loaded
japgen is offline  
post #18 of 38 Old Apr 23rd, 2015, 8:18 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Fort Washington, MD
Posts: 542
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japgen View Post
I musty have a configuration issue. The iphone music plays through the bike audio, either through speaker or into helmet bluetooth. But the display only says "aux" no indication of iphone or ipod, and the only wonderwheel function is volume. I have menu set to audio. No go. Any other suggestions?

just out of curiosity, if i were to connect the iphone via cable w/o BT, is the wonderwheel functionality any different?
Let me check all my settings in the morning. Does your iPhone Bluetooth setting show that you are connected to the tune 2 Air? What are your other Bluetooth settings on the iPhone? Are you connected to the Garmin Nav 5 as well? It should work. The wonderwheel should control the source. On the iPhone, is the Music app open. Do you have the Pandora app loaded onto your iPhone?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
Scubadoc is offline  
post #19 of 38 Old Apr 24th, 2015, 6:42 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North East, PA, USA
Posts: 227
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emdruymd View Post
Let me check all my settings in the morning. Does your iPhone Bluetooth setting show that you are connected to the tune 2 Air? What are your other Bluetooth settings on the iPhone? Are you connected to the Garmin Nav 5 as well? It should work. The wonderwheel should control the source. On the iPhone, is the Music app open. Do you have the Pandora app loaded onto your iPhone?
Ed, i'll check all these settings after work today. Thanks for your help.

2015 R1200RT WC....Ebony, fully loaded
japgen is offline  
post #20 of 38 Old Apr 24th, 2015, 11:09 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Fort Washington, MD
Posts: 542
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japgen View Post
Ed, i'll check all these settings after work today. Thanks for your help.
See PM for a lengthy setup guide
Ed


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
Scubadoc is offline  
post #21 of 38 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 5:50 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: North East, PA, USA
Posts: 227
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Agree with the knock-off cable, BUT be careful! If you have the newer Iphone/iPod with the new Lightning connector, do NOT buy the cable that have the Lightning connection rather than the 30-pins that you show in the one that you said you bought! That one will NOT work!

Another hint is that to convert from the 30-pins to Lightning, do not use the solid, one piece converter. You will find that if you plug that solid converter to your iPhone/iPod and then plug in the 30-pins connector of the cable, the total length of the solid assembly is too long to fit inside of the audio compartment! You will need to buy the short 30-pins to Lightning cable instead. Another hint is that, do NOT buy the knock-off 30-pins/Lightning cable. They will not work. You will need to buy the genuine Apple one.

The above is from personal experience! This is the BMW adapter cable that I had bought (a little cheaper than yours now, but when I bought it the price was under $10):

Amazon.com: Golitonģ BMW iDRIVE iPOD iPHONE iPAD CABLE ADAPTER OEM USB AUX MINI COOPER MASERATI LEAD WIRE CORD PART # 61120440796 & 61120440812: Cell Phones & Accessories

Here is the Apple converter cable ($39 @ Apples):

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Lightnin...ightning+cable
Pad, is there a trick to getting the cables and iPhone to fit in the glove compartment? I have the 30 pin cord connected to the Apple 0.2m 30 to lightning adapter, which is connected to iPhone 6. Cannot get the entire bundle crammed into the tiny compartment. Is there a trick?

2015 R1200RT WC....Ebony, fully loaded
japgen is offline  
post #22 of 38 Old Apr 27th, 2015, 8:30 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,546
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japgen View Post
Pad, is there a trick to getting the cables and iPhone to fit in the glove compartment? I have the 30 pin cord connected to the Apple 0.2m 30 to lightning adapter, which is connected to iPhone 6. Cannot get the entire bundle crammed into the tiny compartment. Is there a trick?
It is a tight fit, but no tricks. Now, I am using the latest iPod, and I am assuming that the size is the same as your iPhone. I just fold everything up carefully and fit them all carefully in the compartment.

Edit: you shouldn't have any problems because I now recall that the person who actually originated this method had an iPhone!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #23 of 38 Old May 2nd, 2015, 4:13 pm
Member
 
Thorvald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 77
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

And so much for that. Didn't work at all. Tried with an old iPod Touch even, no go. Phone doesn't even acknowledge a cable was plugged in and bike doesn't see an iPod.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
Thanks for the info guys, just ordered one of those myself here in Canada.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B003...A24X6BONU07T8U

Now the Apple 30 pin adapter is expensive! $50 up here youch.

Cheers
Tim

2015 R1200RT in San Marino Blue - loaded up.
Thorvald is offline  
post #24 of 38 Old May 7th, 2015, 7:55 pm
Member
 
Thorvald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 77
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Well my dealer came through. He dug through the car side and found the proper BMW cable with the newer lightning connector! So no need for the $30 to $60 Apple adapter. I took a risk hoping it would work and sure enough, perfect. We also tested it on a K1600GTL on the showroom floor (and blasted classic rock across the floor lol).

I'll start a new thread later tonight with pics but the part number is:

61 12 2 287 642

Works PERFECT with my 2015 R1200RT! iPhone 5S.

Super happy now!

I'm going to take the "chinese" knockoff cable and the knockoff apple lightning adapter cable to the range on the weekend and see how it stands up to 45AUTO :-)

Cheers
Tim

2015 R1200RT in San Marino Blue - loaded up.
Thorvald is offline  
post #25 of 38 Old May 7th, 2015, 8:33 pm
Member
 
Thorvald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 77
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Here is the thread with the pics and parts etc:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/ipod-mp3...ber-found.html

2015 R1200RT in San Marino Blue - loaded up.
Thorvald is offline  
post #26 of 38 Old May 8th, 2015, 8:33 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,546
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
Well my dealer came through. He dug through the car side and found the proper BMW cable with the newer lightning connector! So no need for the $30 to $60 Apple adapter. I took a risk hoping it would work and sure enough, perfect. We also tested it on a K1600GTL on the showroom floor (and blasted classic rock across the floor lol).

I'll start a new thread later tonight with pics but the part number is:

61 12 2 287 642

Works PERFECT with my 2015 R1200RT! iPhone 5S.

Super happy now!

I'm going to take the "chinese" knockoff cable and the knockoff apple lightning adapter cable to the range on the weekend and see how it stands up to 45AUTO :-)

Cheers
Tim
Good to hear that you have found a clean solution, but it seem that you had ignored/overlooked my warning about the knockoff apple lightning adapter cable! That was your problem all along.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #27 of 38 Old May 8th, 2015, 9:02 am
Member
 
Thorvald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 77
Oh I didn't ignore your warning, I have the proper small Apple adapter but it is too long for the glove box and didn't work.

I then tried my old iPod Touch and two IPhone 4 and a IPhone 4S. None of hem worked on the Chinese Amazon interface Cable.

Besides I just spent $34000 on a bike, what is another $80 for the proper cable?

Cheers
Tim
Thorvald is offline  
post #28 of 38 Old May 8th, 2015, 10:22 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,546
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
Oh I didn't ignore your warning, I have the proper small Apple adapter but it is too long for the glove box and didn't work.

I then tried my old iPod Touch and two IPhone 4 and a IPhone 4S. None of hem worked on the Chinese Amazon interface Cable.

Besides I just spent $34000 on a bike, what is another $80 for the proper cable?

Cheers
Tim
Just curious....what is the cost of the new BMW cable? I am quite happy with my set-up right now, but being a cheap knock-off it could fail at any time, IMHO.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #29 of 38 Old May 8th, 2015, 3:16 pm
Member
 
Thorvald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 77
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

The cost on this one was $93.50 Canadian, so about $5 USD lol (at least with the current exchange rate!).

Cheers
Tim

2015 R1200RT in San Marino Blue - loaded up.
Thorvald is offline  
post #30 of 38 Old May 9th, 2015, 8:06 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Fort Washington, MD
Posts: 542
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Just curious....what is the cost of the new BMW cable? I am quite happy with my set-up right now, but being a cheap knock-off it could fail at any time, IMHO.
eBay listings around $85, free shipping.
BMW Apple iPhone 5 6 Lightning USB Y Cable Audio Music Adapter Cord 61122287642 | eBay


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
Scubadoc is offline  
post #31 of 38 Old May 9th, 2015, 8:30 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,546
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
The cost on this one was $93.50 Canadian, so about $5 USD lol (at least with the current exchange rate!).

Cheers
Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdruymd View Post
Thanks! When this knock-off one dies, I will need to make some considerations as to whether it's worthwhile to spend $85 to have 64 GB of music available, via the iPod, or simply reload my thumb-drive and have "only" 32 GB available!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #32 of 38 Old Aug 10th, 2017, 11:48 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 180
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Thanks! When this knock-off one dies, I will need to make some considerations as to whether it's worthwhile to spend $85 to have 64 GB of music available, via the iPod, or simply reload my thumb-drive and have "only" 32 GB available!
Can someone give the details of the function you gain with the adapter? Do you get a menu/wheel interface? I use pandora and just plug my phone to the aux. Would I get control through the wheel with the adaptor?
MHTOUR is offline  
post #33 of 38 Old Aug 10th, 2017, 12:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,546
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHTOUR View Post
Can someone give the details of the function you gain with the adapter? Do you get a menu/wheel interface? I use pandora and just plug my phone to the aux. Would I get control through the wheel with the adaptor?
Not if you simply use Pandora. The adapter is for playing the music that is loaded, locally, on your iPod/iPhone to the RT's radio. It will allow you to use the wonderwheel to select what you wants to play by: artist, genre, song, etc.; in the same manner as if you were using the play menu in your iPod/iPhone. I now favor playing my music (MP3 files) via the USB connector via a thumbdrive. Gets the same options that I got with the adapter and iPod, but takes up a lot less room in the compartment!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #34 of 38 Old Jul 28th, 2018, 1:49 am
Junior Member
 
pockomoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
After reading through this whole thread I'm more confused than ever. Could we start over but with my Samsung Android phone? And no knockoffs. Just tell me what to buy and how to set it up. I very much want to control my Amazon music on my phone using the 2015 R1200RT wheel. Right now, I plug in my phone with USB and audio cable coming out of the cubby hole on the right and get a message something like my phone isn't compatible. It WILL play after pairing with my Garmin anyway but no wheel inputs, using my Sena to scroll, having set my music beforehand.
pockomoth is offline  
post #35 of 38 Old Jul 28th, 2018, 7:25 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,546
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockomoth View Post
After reading through this whole thread I'm more confused than ever. Could we start over but with my Samsung Android phone? And no knockoffs. Just tell me what to buy and how to set it up. I very much want to control my Amazon music on my phone using the 2015 R1200RT wheel. Right now, I plug in my phone with USB and audio cable coming out of the cubby hole on the right and get a message something like my phone isn't compatible. It WILL play after pairing with my Garmin anyway but no wheel inputs, using my Sena to scroll, having set my music beforehand.
Not possible with the Android phones! Sorry, but the connection is for iPod/iPhone only, just like in many cars nowadays.



Nonetheless, I don't know whether I had said this in this thread or not, but I recommend connecting your music source by putting MP3 files on a thumb drive (I use microSD card in a tiny USB card reader) and connect to the USB connector at the end of the cable. If your MP3s are properly configured, you will be able to use the controls on your RT handlebar to make selections with better choices than even with an iPod/iPhone connected!
pockomoth likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #36 of 38 Old Aug 1st, 2018, 12:33 am
Junior Member
 
pockomoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Not possible with the Android phones! Sorry, but the connection is for iPod/iPhone only, just like in many cars nowadays.



Nonetheless, I don't know whether I had said this in this thread or not, but I recommend connecting your music source by putting MP3 files on a thumb drive (I use microSD card in a tiny USB card reader) and connect to the USB connector at the end of the cable. If your MP3s are properly configured, you will be able to use the controls on your RT handlebar to make selections with better choices than even with an iPod/iPhone connected!


Any notions on how to properly configure them? I know a fair amount about computers, but Iím not good with sorting out music files and uploading them onto various drives. I have Amazon Music on my phone, it uploads onto an Amazon music player on all my devices so I can listen on anything I own, but I tried once to upload music onto the Garmin IV and couldnít figure it out. Iíve avoided trying on my Garmin V and read it wasnít necessary anymore on the V. Any advice or link would be appreciated, Iíve looked everywhere with no luck.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pockomoth is offline  
post #37 of 38 Old Aug 1st, 2018, 7:24 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
PadG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Solon, OH, USA
Posts: 4,546
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockomoth View Post
Any notions on how to properly configure them? I know a fair amount about computers, but Iím not good with sorting out music files and uploading them onto various drives. I have Amazon Music on my phone, it uploads onto an Amazon music player on all my devices so I can listen on anything I own, but I tried once to upload music onto the Garmin IV and couldnít figure it out. Iíve avoided trying on my Garmin V and read it wasnít necessary anymore on the V. Any advice or link would be appreciated, Iíve looked everywhere with no luck.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am not familiar with Amazon Music, but to cut to the chase, if you have access to MP3 files, then you have a very good chance that they are already properly "configured". You can copy the files onto a thumb drive, and arrange them into whatever folders and even subfolders that might catch your fancy, and the RT's radio will find them. To be clear though, this applies to the wetheads RT and NOT to the camhead RT, because the latter's radio have different requirement for MP3 files.



My MP3s are "ripped" from audio CD, DVD, and even vinyl records, and so how well the files are "configured" was based on what software I used to make those MP3s. To explain a little about MP3 files, the files are structured such that there is a data section within each file, called ID3. This data section is populated with data having to do with the file, such ad artist, album name, song name, track number, genre......and so on. If your MP3, for whatever reasons, have limited data in the ID3 section, or contains blanks, then you will need a software to edit or create the data. I use a program called mp3tag. You can Google to find the program. It's free. Why is this important? The our radio's MP3 player reads the ID3 data from all the MP3 that you have on the connected thumb drive, and use the data to organize the music and give you the multitudes of options in how you might want to listen to your music!


I'll stop here, but if you have more questions, go ahead and ask!
pockomoth likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)


Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
PadG is offline  
post #38 of 38 Old Aug 2nd, 2018, 2:14 am
Junior Member
 
pockomoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 30
Re: iphone cable.....need BMW version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
I am not familiar with Amazon Music, but to cut to the chase, if you have access to MP3 files, then you have a very good chance that they are already properly "configured". You can copy the files onto a thumb drive, and arrange them into whatever folders and even subfolders that might catch your fancy, and the RT's radio will find them. To be clear though, this applies to the wetheads RT and NOT to the camhead RT, because the latter's radio have different requirement for MP3 files.



My MP3s are "ripped" from audio CD, DVD, and even vinyl records, and so how well the files are "configured" was based on what software I used to make those MP3s. To explain a little about MP3 files, the files are structured such that there is a data section within each file, called ID3. This data section is populated with data having to do with the file, such ad artist, album name, song name, track number, genre......and so on. If your MP3, for whatever reasons, have limited data in the ID3 section, or contains blanks, then you will need a software to edit or create the data. I use a program called mp3tag. You can Google to find the program. It's free. Why is this important? The our radio's MP3 player reads the ID3 data from all the MP3 that you have on the connected thumb drive, and use the data to organize the music and give you the multitudes of options in how you might want to listen to your music!


I'll stop here, but if you have more questions, go ahead and ask!


Thanks, let me start there and see what comes up!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pockomoth is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Police version (BMW) crash bars vs Aftermarket crash bars pcenterprise07 RT Series 2 Oct 31st, 2014 11:28 am
BMW Recalls 18 Models in Canada for Potential Fuel Leaks meese GS Series 12 Mar 3rd, 2014 2:29 pm
BMW Motorcycle Quality 150flyer Bike Talk 5 Oct 28th, 2013 7:30 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome