Cardo g9x and the GTL - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 15th, 2014, 9:13 am Thread Starter

Cardo g9x and the GTL

We took this for an extended trip. I like this unit. With the web you can customize many settings. It does a lot right but some of the not so good. Battery life was good enough for us. Our longest day was 11 hours. We didn't turn it off during breaks. We only took one charger with us and was able to get them both charged up overnight.

Audio from the BMW GTL only paired to one headset. Wonder wheel volume has no effect. Volume is controlled with plus/minus buttons.
Sirius radio is bad. Bad enough not to want to bother with it.
FM is ok
Memory stick is ok

Audio from the GPS is great if paired separately. I have not tried MP3 from the GPS yet maybe that's better than the bike's audio. Sometime it gets a little too loud.

Intercom is very good
But at Texas highway speeds Gretchen had trouble hearing me but I could hear her fine. It might be that I need a better windshield. I might try a more aggressive auto volume adjustment setting on her unit.

Phone via the GPS connection works great even at high speeds and has priority over music or intercom.

Using the VOX. It is set at medium as default. Gretchen had problems activating it so I made it easier to activate but then at speeds over 70 the wind would activate it. Not a problem if you just want intercom, but the intercom wouldn't turn off so you could get the music. Again improving the GTLs wind protection might be an option. Or just turn off the VOX and use the button.

There is no blending of audio sources like being able to hear music while in intercom mode. Looking forward to testing the Sena 20.

Music share works but after interrupted by an intercom session your music will come back but you have to re share it to the second set. Its not smart enough to go back to the way you had it. Simple enough to reestablish but grows annoying after a while. Its probably better just to set up 2 separate audio sources for each headset.

Twice during the trip I had to turn off my unit and back on again (like CTL-ALT-DELETE). It just acted very strange with a cyber echo. Not sure what that was all about but I got the impression like its CPU was just overloaded. Looking forward to testing the SENA multi-CPU unit.

Still I like not having to deal with plugging it in.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 12th, 2014, 6:56 am

Re: Cardo g9x and the GTL

Michael... I use the G9X with a 2013 R1200RT (and foam earplugs) and experienced the same poor quality radio sound (FM and Sirius) when using the BMW audio system bluetooth to my headset, until I found a solution... with the bike's Bluetooth on, set the audio system's tone settings to Loudness off, Bass -6, Trebble -6. This eliminates the overdriven static sound heard in the G9X helmut speakers, making voice and music clear as they should be, regardless of whether I'm listening to FM or Sirius. Whenever I turn the bluetooth off and use the bike's speakers, I simply change the tone settings to my normal preferences. Presume this will work for the GTL, too... Ray
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 12th, 2014, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

Re: Cardo g9x and the GTL

Thanks I'll try that.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in