Scala Cardo Will not honor warranty - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By ka5ysy
  • 1 Post By mwnahas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Scala Cardo Will not honor warranty

I purchased my G9 Power Set last May through an E-Bay Vendor, not on auction but through their store. The plug where you charge the unit on one set pushed inside the unit. Emailed Cardo, no problem just send us you name, address, phone number and a copy of your bill, receipt or proof of purchase. Did That, received an email the next day stating they do not honor any warranty on items purchased through Amazon or E-Bay. They will only honor a warranty if you purchased it through a "brick and mortar store".

So be aware of how you purchase your Cardo communication set as it may not come with a warranty on a $400 plus item.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 7:54 pm

Re: Scala Cardo Will not honor warranty

The problem you ran into is "grey market" stuff being sold by an unauthorized dealer. Many manufacturers in other industries also have this policy, and it is something to watch for. It is not necessarily an internet business issue, simply the dealer selling it. There are authorized dealers on the internet and would not cause your problem.
scala rider likes this.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 3rd, 2014, 8:32 pm

There are a lot of counterfeit products shipped on eBay so the manufacture could end up providing warranty for items they did not make. When 2 gb compact flash cards where over $100 there were more counterfeit than real cards sold on eBay.

Gerhard

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 6:27 am Thread Starter

I fully understand the counterfeit items. But when I registered the units serial numbers and where I purchased them back in May with Cardo it was not an issue as they were valid serial numbers .
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 6:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1rob View Post
I fully understand the counterfeit items. But when I registered the units serial numbers and where I purchased them back in May with Cardo it was not an issue as they were valid serial numbers .
You need to put outside pressure on them, post on their Facebook page, contact the BBB, post on yelp. It might not work but since they actually acknowledged it as their product via accepting the warranty registration you might get better results.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 8:25 am

Don't forget Twitter, it seems to get good results. To me it's just another nail in Scala's coffin. I own a Scala G4, and have been really happy. But stuff like this really makes me think when it comes time to upgrade. It's not the first time I've heard bad things on the customer service side on different forums.

Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 10:44 am

I had the same problem when I had a problem with J&M stuff. They say return it to the vender where I bought it.
I now have a Scala Rider G4 and it works great but I bought it from a vender on EBay. I paid less, but that is the price of taking that risk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

North Richland Hills, Texas (Ft Worth)

History:
2002 BMW K1200LT Green
2008 Honda ST1300 Red 20K miles, FOR SALE
2004 Honda Goldwing Standard restoration in progress
1981 Honda Goldwing Standard - Custom, Weber Carb FOR SALE
1977 Honda Goldwing Standard, ready for frame up restoration

Gone but not forgotten:
1983 Goldwing 1992 Goldwing 1994 BMW K1100LT 1994 Kawasaki KLX650 1989 Yamaha FJ1200. 1982 Honda 750SS. 1976 Honda CB550F. 1975 Honda CB350F. 1971 Honda CB350 twin. 1969 Yamaha DT250. 1971 Suzuki 185 Enduro. 1961 Vespa 125. 1959 Alstate scooter.
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespacar View Post
Don't forget Twitter, it seems to get good results. To me it's just another nail in Scala's coffin. I own a Scala G4, and have been really happy. But stuff like this really makes me think when it comes time to upgrade. It's not the first time I've heard bad things on the customer service side on different forums.

Cheers,
Tross
Good idea about Twitter. I once "tweeted" that my Garmin Zumo 220 had found a nearby XM radio on BlueTooth, but the Zumo wouldn't connect to see what they were listening too. The Zumo 220 will do headsets only and not phones, radios or MP3. Within 30 minutes I got a response to the tweet from XM, giving me an actual (not general customer service) address to contact for help in pairing my XM Radio with my Garmin GPS.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #9 of 10 Old Apr 4th, 2014, 3:03 pm

This is on the CARDO SCALA website.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO END-USERS ABOUT
PURCHASING FROM AUTHORIZED DEALERS

To avoid potential problems and to receive our support and warranty coverage, we strongly recommend buying our products only from authorized Cardo dealers. Your favorite brick-and-mortar store, or if authorized, the store's own website is always your best bet. Generic online resellers such as Amazon or online auction sites such as eBay are not among Cardo's authorized dealers, and purchasing our products from such sites will be at your own risk.

Cardo strives to provide quality products and exceptional customer service. We select dealers who share that vision. Buying grey market items from unauthorized dealers on the Internet is counterproductive and also adversely affects unsuspecting online consumers who may be purchasing used, counterfeit or defective products or devices whose warranties are void. Protect your investment by purchasing genuine Cardo and scala rider® products only from authorized dealers.
scala rider likes this.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 8:49 pm

Scala's issue is not so much about "controlling dealers", but controlling MAP.

Scala price fixes their pricing and if a dealer attempts to sell under that price, they get a nasty letter from the Scala. Do it again and they cut the dealer off.

Some dealers try to get around this by opening shop on Amazon or eBay and sell for less (free market pricing). Scala wants to stop this, so you can see their consumer warning in the above post.

Bottom line is, you the consumer, get the shaft on both ends.
- you pay an artificially high price that doesn't reflect free market pricing
- if you buy a NEW unit from an internet store, they feel they have the right to void your warranty even though it is THEIR NEW product that is defective.

Best way to avoid this is buy Sena. But, they too have MAP pricing. They just have not started this "Warranty Voided" nonsense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in