Cardo scala rider G9x PowerSet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 8:21 am Thread Starter

Red face Cardo scala rider G9x PowerSet

I've been patiently waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting for a Bluetooth intercom so I can finally shed my bike and helmet of the wires. Last week I pulled the trigger on two new helmets and the G9x PowerSet. As luck would have it, both the helmets AND the new intercom was delivered yesterday ... WOOHOO!

I got home from work and it was like Christmas morning!

I got the intercom units mounted to the helmets while their counterparts were charging. Things were going well ... a little too well, I suppose. The units finished charging and it was finally time to step into the future ... what with wireless Bluetooth helmets, able to talk to my wife, answer calls on my phone, while getting navigation and beeps from my Valentine One. All Bluetooth baby!! Yeah!!!

Umm ... no. No, no, no... Are the units working?, I suppose so. I can talk to my wife. I can make/receive phone calls. It's connected to my phone which provides music that my wife and I can share, I can get navigation, I can get the beeps from my Valentine One. BUT IT'S CLUNKY. AND CUMBERSOME. This is not state of the art! This is ... DISAPPOINTING!!!

I'm praying that a call to Cardo tech support today will clear things up. Or maybe, someone on a forum somewhere will tell me what I'm doing wrong. But as of this moment, I'm VERY disappointed with these units.

For the record, I did register the units on Cardo's website and update to the latest firmware. Still no joy.

- Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 9:10 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Cardo scala rider G9x PowerSet

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bluetooth Joe.
I started with a Scala G4 about 4 years ago when I had the LT. They worked very well for intercom & phone calls but that was about it. Music sound quality over bluetooth is pathetic to say the least. The more stuff you add the less effective it is. I run my IPod wired to the G4 & the music was fine.

3 years ago I get the K1600GTL thinking it has built in bluetooth so I'm set. NO the BMW bikes Bluetooth only work properly with a BMW intercom. I ended up hardwiring into the bikes speakers to get good sound from the bikes audio.

Last year I upgraded to the G9 (not the new X version) as some people were able to pair it with the bike. Sound is still crap & the connection is not always there so back to hardwired.The G9 intercom is good with the 8+1 setup but it relies on your voice to connect by saying a persons name. I say Bob Smith & I get Music on. After a few months of trial and error I have it kinda figured out. You have to talk slow & precise plus minimize the words you use. To connect to my friend Jim I just say his last name, with others i have to say their full name & hope the G9 understands me. I've also tried bluetooth transmitters wired to the bike like the Sena SM10. They work OK but still have troubles with connection & the sound still sucks. I am now back to hardwired to the bike & will stay this way till something that really work in the way of bluetooth comes alone.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 10:08 am

Here is to hoping the Sena 20s is going to be a game changer.

http://senabluetooth.com/product/intercoms/20s/

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2 View Post
Umm ... no. No, no, no... Are the units working?, I suppose so. I can talk to my wife. I can make/receive phone calls. It's connected to my phone which provides music that my wife and I can share, I can get navigation, I can get the beeps from my Valentine One. BUT IT'S CLUNKY. AND CUMBERSOME. This is not state of the art! This is ... DISAPPOINTING!!!
Glad you posted this. This was one I was considering too. Clunky is that because of the six buttons? Or are you trying to use voice commands?

Or is it Clunky because its interuption based audio where you have to change modes?

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 22nd, 2014, 11:16 am Thread Starter

First, let me say that it is not sound quality that I'm having an issue with. My wife and I heard each other loud and clear while testing in the home, each of us in another room. No, it wasn't a road test ... but I'm certain the volume was enough to work and the voice quality was good.

All we really want to do with it is listen to shared music (90% of the time), and on occasion when we want to chat, we simply talk in the mic, the music "ducks", and when we're done chatting, the music comes back up to full volume in BOTH helmets. This is NOT what is happening currently.

What happened during our testing last night was:
I turn on the music and I hear it = good.
I long-press the 'B' button and now we both hear the music = good.
But then, one of us has to hit the 'A' button to talk, or use a voice command just to chat = not so good.
Finally, when we are done chatting it take 30 seconds for me to hear the music again = NOT GOOD at all!
And what is worst of all is that I have to long-press the 'B' button to share the music with her yet AGAIN = UNACCEPTABLE!

While I am a tech guy and an IT guy, I knew the short-comings of Bluetooth technology. But I figured by now it would have matured beyond this point. I guess I was wrong. Uuuugh!!!!!!

I need to get new tires on this bike right now, then I'll call Cardo tech support later.

- Joe

Last edited by messenger13_ver2; Mar 22nd, 2014 at 11:51 am.
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Re: Cardo scala rider G9x PowerSet

Welp, tonight I'm boxing the scala rider up and shipping it back. It's junk, if you ask me.

As a side note, (and quite humorous perhaps), I am ordering 3 other CHEAPO units off eBay in the hopes to find a good one. I have my doubts, but I've viewed a few YouTube videos that claim these units actually work better than the expensive ones. Time will tell...

- Joe

Tags
bluetooth intercom, cardo, g9x, powerset, scala rider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in