Sena SMH10 Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 6th, 2014, 12:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Sena SMH10 Help

You guys must think I'm such a needy person...always coming to you for help. You're right. Here's my problem. I have a new SMH10 and a new R12RT. This is how I'm pairing assorted devices: I pair smh10 with smartphone...all good. I pair smh10 with audio system of my R12RT. I could hear music very clearly thru the speaks of my smh10...good so far. I use multipoint pairing to join my NavigatorV v to the smh10. The music stops. I'm using Mobile Phone pairing to connect the bike's audio system and the smartphone to the smh10 unit, but mulitpoint pairing to connect GPS to smh10. Why can't I hear music from audio anymore?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chesapeake, Virginia
'14 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue Metallic (paint code=A18)
'11 Victory Cross Country - Imperial Blue SOLD
'03 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 - Purple SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 6th, 2014, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Re: Sena SMH10 Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRanger View Post
You guys must think I'm such a needy person...always coming to you for help. You're right. Here's my problem. I have a new SMH10 and a new R12RT. This is how I'm pairing assorted devices: I pair smh10 with smartphone...all good. I pair smh10 with audio system of my R12RT. I could hear music very clearly thru the speaks of my smh10...good so far. I use multipoint pairing to join my NavigatorV v to the smh10. The music stops. I'm using Mobile Phone pairing to connect the bike's audio system and the smartphone to the smh10 unit, but mulitpoint pairing to connect GPS to smh10. Why can't I hear music from audio anymore?
I'm using Case Study 6 from the SMH10 User Manual. Here is exactly the steps I am following...

1 Mobile Phone Pairing (Sena & Phone)
2 Mobile Phone Pairing (Sena & Bike Audio System)
3 Multipoint Pairing (Sena & GPS)
4 Intercom Pairing (Sena & Sena)

6.1 Mobile Phone Pairing (use this to pair sena & phone / sena & bike)

1. Turn on the SMH10 and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Phone pairing”.
2. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the Sena SMH10 in the list of the devices detected on the mobile phone.

6.2 Multipoint Pairing

Typical Bluetooth headsets can connect with only one HFP (Hands-Free Profile) device, but multipoint pairing allows the headset toconnect with two HFP devices at the same time. So, when you already have a mobile phone connected with the SMH10, you can also pair and connect a second mobile phone or other HFP devices such as GPS or Sena SR10, Bluetooth adapter.
1. To pair the second mobile phone, press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds again until the red LED is rapidly flashing and you hear multiple beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Phone Button again, then the LED turns to blue flashing and the beeps turn to high tone double beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Multipoint pairing”.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the Sena SMH10 in the list of the devices detected on the mobile phone.

8.1 Pairing with Other SMH10 Headsets for Intercom Conversation

The SMH10 can be paired with up to three other headsets for Bluetooth intercom conversation.
1. Turn on the two SMH10 headsets (A and B) that you would like to pair with each other.
2. Press and hold the Jog Dial of the headset A and B for 5 seconds until red LEDs of the both units start to flash rapidly. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Intercom pairing”.
3. Simply tap the Jog Dial of any one of the two headsets A or B (It doesn’t matter that you choose A or B.) and wait until the LEDs of both headsets turn to blue and intercom connection is automatically established. The two SMH10 headsets A and B are paired with each other for intercom conversation. If the pairing process is not completed within one minute, the SMH10 will return to stand-by mode.

Mark

Chesapeake, Virginia
'14 BMW R1200RT - Quartz Blue Metallic (paint code=A18)
'11 Victory Cross Country - Imperial Blue SOLD
'03 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 - Purple SOLD
post #3 of 14 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 7:26 am

Quote:
I'm using Case Study 6 from the SMH10 User Manual. Here is exactly the steps I am following...

1 Mobile Phone Pairing (Sena & Phone)2 Mobile Phone Pairing (Sena & Bike Audio System)
3 Multipoint Pairing (Sena & GPS)
4 Intercom Pairing (Sena & Sena)

6.1 Mobile Phone Pairing (use this to pair sena & phone / sena & bike)

1. Turn on the SMH10 and press the Phone Button for 5 seconds until the LED flashes red and blue alternately and you hear multiple beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Phone pairing”.
2. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the Sena SMH10 in the list of the devices detected on the mobile phone.

6.2 Multipoint Pairing

Typical Bluetooth headsets can connect with only one HFP (Hands-Free Profile) device, but multipoint pairing allows the headset toconnect with two HFP devices at the same time. So, when you already have a mobile phone connected with the SMH10, you can also pair and connect a second mobile phone or other HFP devices such as GPS or Sena SR10, Bluetooth adapter.
1. To pair the second mobile phone, press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds again until the red LED is rapidly flashing and you hear multiple beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Phone Button again, then the LED turns to blue flashing and the beeps turn to high tone double beeps. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Multipoint pairing”.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the Sena SMH10 in the list of the devices detected on the mobile phone.

8.1 Pairing with Other SMH10 Headsets for Intercom Conversation

The SMH10 can be paired with up to three other headsets for Bluetooth intercom conversation.
1. Turn on the two SMH10 headsets (A and B) that you would like to pair with each other.
2. Press and hold the Jog Dial of the headset A and B for 5 seconds until red LEDs of the both units start to flash rapidly. You will hear a voice prompt saying “Intercom pairing”.
3. Simply tap the Jog Dial of any one of the two headsets A or B (It doesn’t matter that you choose A or B.) and wait until the LEDs of both headsets turn to blue and intercom connection is automatically established. The two SMH10 headsets A and B are paired with each other for intercom conversation. If the pairing process is not completed within one minute, the SMH10 will return to stand-by mode.
I just skimmed your post, so didn't study it closely. There is a LOT of info on this very subject on getting the SMH10 paired up correctly. Someone else will chime in quickly....fellow named Lynn is one I remember....

I went through the same problems.....but with a few subtle differences.
One thing I'd recommend is having the most up to date soft/firm wear on your SMH10. I have 4.3 I think......I could not get paired to my BMW until I upgraded to that version. It COULD be that simple.

Another thing......if you can, pair your phone with your GPS, instead of directly to the Sena. Skimming your post, it sounds like there might be a conflict between the phone and audio system as you are now connected. I don't care what Sena says......

Lastly....you will be able to get paired, it will just take some time.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2015 Honda Rancher ATV 4x4
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 8th, 2014, 8:19 am

Welcome to the group Mark. You said you have a NEW RT so I'll assume you mean it's a 2014 model. I don't know if the '14 audio is the same as the earlier bikes, mine is an '11, so not sure if all the info on the site is 100% applicable. However, if you haven't already done so please use the search function and search the RT Series Forum for BLUETOOTH. The result will provide you with a lot of information and hopefully answers to most if not all your questions. One thread in particular might be particularly helpful;
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ight=bluetooth

SENA customer service has also been helpful in the past. If you continue to have problems don't be bashful and continue to post you questions and hopefully the group will be able to help.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #5 of 14 Old Apr 6th, 2014, 10:17 pm

To continue with the request for help. I recently picked up a new SMH10. I charged the unit, installed all the hardware and started to set it up. I turned it on, listened to the voice prompts, paired it with my phone and then paired it with my BMW R1200RT. I got music for a few minutes but then silence.

I rebooted it and when I turned it back on I got a few beeps but no voice prompts. I tried to reset to factory condition, no change. I took the unit of and did the paperclip thing to the small hole on the back. Still no change. No matter what I do I get no voice prompts at all.

I was able to pair with my phone but, since I get no voice prompts, I have no way to pair with my bike.

I fired off an email to Sena Tech support and am awaiting an answer.

Have any of you run into this problem? Is there a solution?

Thank you all in advance.
Peter
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 2:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

TitanRanger -

I am confused about the way you are connecting. You could have a priority issue, or it could be the Nav V being a BT connection hog (well known issue with the ZUMO 660/Nav IV).

You say that you're pairing the phone in Phone Pairing method and pairing the BMW Audio with Phone Pairing.

Normally, the BMW Audio would be paired with Media Selective Pairing so that you get an A2DP connection for high(er) quality audio and stereo. You might try making that change.

May I ask why you are connecting the Nav V to the headset via BlueTooth? Is it possible to pair it with the BMW Audio, and the BMW Audio to the Sena?

Disclaimer: I don't have a Nav V, a '14RT, or a smartphone, thus I reserve the right to be wrong and ask stupid questions.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650

Last edited by 12R12RT; Apr 7th, 2014 at 2:46 am.
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 4:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickticket View Post
To continue with the request for help. I recently picked up a new SMH10. I charged the unit, installed all the hardware and started to set it up. I turned it on, listened to the voice prompts, paired it with my phone and then paired it with my BMW R1200RT. I got music for a few minutes but then silence.

I rebooted it and when I turned it back on I got a few beeps but no voice prompts. I tried to reset to factory condition, no change. I took the unit of and did the paperclip thing to the small

hole on the back. Still no change. No matter what I do I get no voice prompts at all.

I was able to pair with my phone but, since I get no voice prompts, I have no way to pair with my bike.

I fired off an email to Sena Tech support and am awaiting an answer.

Have any of you run into this problem? Is there a solution?

Thank you all in advance.
Peter
I got the following very helpful response from "Bluelightening" on another forum. It worked. Many Thanks Sir.

Follow these directions
Power the unit on in the base with your helmet on your head
Listen for the 4 beeps as your power it on
hold in the jog dial for 12 seconds (You'll hear quite a few beeps along the way but listen for 2 quick beeps and then it will "configuration menu") Even if voice prompts are off, it will say "configuration menu"
Rotate dial until you hear "Voice Prompts"
Press the phone button and you should hear "enabled"
Turn the jog dial again until you hear "exit configuration"
Press the phone button again

Hopefully that should get your voice prompts back on.
post #8 of 14 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 6:30 am

Quote:
I'm using Case Study 6 from the SMH10 User Manual. Here is exactly the steps I am following......
TMI for me!

Did you ever get paired? Since you and I have the same items to pairs (cell, BMW OEM, BMW GPS) I THINK my checklist would work for you, even though I have a 2013 BMW RT and an older BMW NAV III (but the same procedure works with a Garmin 2820 and probably with newer GPSs also).

My suggestion: First verify you have 4.2 firmware on your Sena.....I might have that version number a little off.....can't see my Sena or PC right now. Then pair the GPS with the Sena...then your phone and GPS, last pair the BMW audio with the Sena.

I have a checklist that works well for me, but I cannot figure out how to attach it here, and it's too long to post. If you send me an email I can email it to you as a pdf file. It's a compilation of many suggestions and tricks mentioned by Lynn and others here, but it' written down in one place. It might work for you. MUCH easier than trying to decode Sena's online instructions!

deek AT bellsouth DOT net......just correct the capital letters...put "BMW" somewhere in the Subject line so I know you are not spam.

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
post #9 of 14 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 8:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
I went through the same problems.....but with a few subtle differences.
One thing I'd recommend is having the most up to date soft/firm wear on your SMH10. I have 4.3 I think......I could not get paired to my BMW until I upgraded to that version. It COULD be that simple.

Deek, 5.0 have been out a little while now, and one of the main feature of 5.0 is to let you hook up to other brands of bluetooth sets!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #10 of 14 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 9:40 am

My suggestion: First verify you have 4.2 firmware on your Sena.....I might have that version number a little off.....can't see my Sena or PC right now. Then pair the GPS with the Sena...then your phone and GPS, last pair the BMW audio with the Sena.

There is now a 5.0 firmware upgrade.
post #11 of 14 Old Apr 7th, 2014, 3:38 pm
PCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickticket View Post

There is now a 5.0 firmware upgrade.
Current firmware is version 5.1

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #12 of 14 Old Apr 8th, 2014, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
Deek, 5.0 have been out a little while now, and one of the main feature of 5.0 is to let you hook up to other brands of bluetooth sets!
Understand, but I don't need that option right now....and I hope to get that other fellow (you?) paired with a version that I know works....sometimes we have to move backwards to move forward!

I do occasionally ride with a couple who uses Scala headsets, so at some point I will have to upgrade. What we've done in the past is use our paired headsets/cell phones for comm.....not the easiest thing to do!

Deek aka adVentureMan
2013 BMW R1200RT

Gone:
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2009 BMW R1200RT
2006 BMW R1200RT
2007 Royal Star Venture
2007 V-Strom DL1000
2006 VTX 1300R
2005 V* Classic
post #13 of 14 Old Apr 8th, 2014, 8:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deek View Post
Understand, but I don't need that option right now....and I hope to get that other fellow (you?) paired with a version that I know works....sometimes we have to move backwards to move forward!

I do occasionally ride with a couple who uses Scala headsets, so at some point I will have to upgrade. What we've done in the past is use our paired headsets/cell phones for comm.....not the easiest thing to do!
No Deek, it wasn't me. My set up had worked fine from the start. You might want to take a serious look at the new firmware (now it's 5.0.1), since there are other features that you might find attractive. "Quality" stereo A2DP or the ability to share your music with your pillion, for examples.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #14 of 14 Old Apr 8th, 2014, 1:23 pm

I had a similar experience last night setting up my new SMH10 with a 2011 RT.

I did the following;
  • Reset the Bluetooth on the RT to make sure I got rid of any existing pairings
  • Paired Sena with RT as "Helmet 1" - Music came through in stereo
  • Paired Sena with phone (Galaxy S4) - could make a phone call and the music came back after the call ended
  • Paired Sena with Zumo 660 as Multipoint pairing - Music disappeared

I sat and puzzled for a while, but then switched everything off.

I then switched everything back on in the following order: Sena, phone bluetooth, RT (and then the Zumo started automatically).

Everything came back, and I was listening to music again, which was interrupted when I pressed buttons on the zumo (the beeping of the Zumo button-presses came through), and the music came back once I had finished pressing buttons.

So I think is all seems to work for me.

You might want to try again like I did to see if you get similar results?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in