Sena V's Uclear - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By azccj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 1:02 am Thread Starter

Sena V's Uclear

Hi guys and gals,

Would like info please concerning experience between Sena SMH10 and the uclear hbc200. I had hoped to go see a Sena unit on the wk end but the dealer is an hour away from my home. As I was passing Heritage HD here in Edmonton I called in on the off chance they might carry them also. Well the didn't but did carry the Uclear style. $239.00 price is ok just so many different reviews out their. I would like real life experience if it exists. My main reason is I wish to pair my iPhone, Zumo 550 and Sirius radio and maybe later a radar detector. I don't have passengers so no need for 2 way. Thank you

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 3:23 am

Re: Sena V's Uclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
Hi guys and gals,

Would like info please concerning experience between Sena SMH10 and the uclear hbc200. I had hoped to go see a Sena unit on the wk end but the dealer is an hour away from my home. As I was passing Heritage HD here in Edmonton I called in on the off chance they might carry them also. Well the didn't but did carry the Uclear style. $239.00 price is ok just so many different reviews out their. I would like real life experience if it exists. My main reason is I wish to pair my iPhone, Zumo 550 and Sirius radio and maybe later a radar detector. I don't have passengers so no need for 2 way. Thank you
Love my SMH10s. Customer service is great and the new firmware allows communication with other brand units. Works quite well and the sound is superb. Your mileage may vary. Robert, in the South of Spain for now.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 5:36 am

SMH10 is the best you can buy right now.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC

post #4 of 14 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 7:07 am

I'm a fan of the Sena. Well worthwhile. No experience with Uclear.

Toby

03 K1200LT
post #5 of 14 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 8:21 am

I have the Scala and am relatively pleased with it.
I saw the uclear at the MC show and am liking the boomless idea. My suspicion is it uses the same technology as the earpieces for cellphones.
I am willing to take the risk on a new product for about the same price.

The trouble with a boom is that it has to be right there. My wife is not mechanically minded so all these things need to be plug and play for her.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #6 of 14 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 8:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Ok, I am biased I have a Sena. I would suggest you got to the webbikeworld.com site. They have done testing on lots of brands and have great write ups including the Sena and uclear. HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #7 of 14 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 11:02 am

I don't know if you are using a separate satellite radio or the GXM30 which connects to the Zumo, but for those who don't know, a Zumo 550 will not allow XM radio to be sent Bluetooth. I have a Zumo 550 with the GXM30 which I use all the time with my Sena SMH10 headset. But all the audio from the Zumo first goes through a Sena SM10 so I can receive the XM radio to the headset. The SM10 also has an audio in port just for radar detectors which will allow the audio signal from the radar detector to be heard in the headset. A lot of thought went into the Sena headset and I have nothing but good stuff to say about it. If you go with the Sena unit get the dual pack. It doesn't cost much more but if you ride for 14 hours a day, like I do sometimes, when the battery goes dead on the first headset unit, I just switch it out with other one and then charge the dead one while I ride.
CR125Honda likes this.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #8 of 14 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 11:12 am

We have the SENA's also. With the upgrading firmware, it keeps getting better and it was great to start.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #9 of 14 Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for all the replies. One reply mentioned the Zumo won't transfer Sirius via BT. This I did not know. The Sirius radio is separate and currently plays through stock radio only, maybe it needs the radio amplifier to work I don't know not knowledgeable when it comes to electronics! tend to rely on my children for that. The Uclear microphones are part of the speakers. Apparently they face the front and somehow mange to pick up the voice from where their invisible points meet magically in front of your mouth. This system is supposed to be modelled from military style communications. With the mics inside the helmet there is no wind noise. I think from what I have been able to conclude from the forum and the net the Sena can mix more pieces of equipment than the Uclear. Also the Sena is more compatible to other makes for mating. The Uclear only good for its own brand. As for bike to bike comm's again something I don't need but the Uclear use other uclears for repeater stations up to 4 with a range of 700 mtr's so altogether a range up to 1.5 miles without direct line of site. Don't know about Sena in that arena but will surf the net for more info. I came to the forum for advice, you gave it me. I thank you all, with the Uclear still relatively new and the Sena obviously a winner here it makes sense to move in that direction. Cheers everyone.

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 28th, 2014, 7:59 am

Everyone loves their Sena.

Until now, I had zero experience with mobile intercom. Some expr with aircraft com & military, (all had a boom mic just about touching your lips) but nothing on the motorcycle & the Wife and I were getting pretty tired of the hollering & hand gestures.

(Mind you, all I really care about is rider/pax com...don't really care about music or gps or phone calls)

I considered the Sena for a time, however my Wife put in a bid for me on a UCLEAR HBC200 Single kit at the CCR Silent Auction in Bend last year....and We Won the kit for a smoking price.

What the heck...lets give it a try. So we ordered another single kit from amazon. I installed them in our helmets only a couple months ago, and I can say for sure, (with my non experience with m/c com) that the system works well. Easy to install (within reason), easy to set up, easy to use. Voice sounds like when we used to talk on our slimline telephones back in the 70's.

I was also considering an Autocom system for a while... but I was having a difficult time figuring out how to get the cable outside of the helmet, and the mic presented its own issues with a modular helmet (what if I sneeze?).

So far, I couldn't be Happier with our new Com.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 28th, 2014, 9:57 am

I have had the Uclear dual for the past year. They have firmware update on their website to Cross communicate with other brands. I have used this feature with Sena 110, worked very well. I had an issue with my flip cell phone loosing pairing. After trying several suggestions, no questions ask, their support shipped a new dual package. I just returned the modules. All good and now I have an iphone and never any issues with anything.

I also have N104. With placement of factory speaker holes, I was told the voice cell function sounded muffled. Stands to reason with cheek pads and chin strap blocking mics. Tech support is shipping pro mics with mic extensions. I feel this will correct this issue as well. I'll post review when installed.

Bottom line from my experience is, excellent customer support, love the boom less mic and BT works great.

All I have tried is cell, intercom, talking with Sena, Mp3.
post #12 of 14 Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 12:55 am Thread Starter

Hi piper1612000,

Just wondering how you made out with the Uclear set up. Your last post you mentioned an update after a mic install. Thanks

Richard

BMWMOA

Uni Go Trailer
post #13 of 14 Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 1:35 am

Garage

I have had 3 great years of almost daily use with my Sena SMH-10.

Suddenly it went wrong. (see Sena SMH-10 lifespan.) It shut down while in the cradle - though this seemed to be resolved after a fault reset. Also after an update it bricked.

I hoped that Sena without acknowledging responsibility give a good will gesture of 5-10% of a new device from their shop. After their Customer Service Representative missed the important parts of the conversation (and his manager) was extremely unimpressed. However a real tech person stepped in and stepped up. They replaced the faulty unit with a brand new one.

+1 Sena (even though you might have to get difficult if it isn't your fault!)

The Sena works, and works well. Even after the trouble I had with how it was handled, eventually, i would continue to support Sena's products.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #14 of 14 Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 11:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
Hi guys and gals,

Hi there!
I am trying to decide between UClear VYBE amd SENA SMH10.
Any advise?
Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in