SENA BT Device Manager Issues? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 28th, 2014, 10:59 pm Thread Starter

SENA BT Device Manager Issues?

I got the email from Sena to upgrade the firmware on my SMH10 headsets to 5.0v and proceeded to download the Sena BT Device Manager software. During the installation the program asked me to install device drivers so, I did. What I noticed after the installation was that my BT keyboard and mouse were not working. I also noticed that the BT Icon that normally resides in my Win8 Tray was gone...you know, the one that allows you to see your BT devices or add new devices. I checked in the Device Manager and noticed that there was no Bluetooth entry in the "Tree." What normally resides there is an entry that looks something like, "Intel Centrino Wireless 3.0 + high speed adapter" was gone.

What seems to happen every time I load the Sena BT Device Manager is that it wipes out my native BT drivers and replaces them with their own drivers which disables my other BT devices. The only way for me to get them working again is to uninstall the Sena BT device manager and do a restore on my computer to an earlier date which re-instates the Intel Centrino BT drivers....and the entry in the tree as mentioned above....

Has anyone experienced this? The Sena support and forums seem to be pretty useless...that's why I thought I would ask the question here since there seems to be a sizeable following of Sena customers here....

Best Regards,
Rangerb3
2014 R1200RT Quarts Met Blue
Biloxi, Mississippi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 1st, 2014, 12:02 am Thread Starter

Re: SENA BT Device Manager Issues?

Ok...I figured it out....Hopefully, this won't be a long post....

I went back to Sena's website and installed the new BT device manger 1.4.4 but, when it came time to install the drivers I hit the "cancel" button....

See the attached, " sena install 0001.JPG" below....

After I clicked on "cancel" in the step above, another popup window appeared saying, "This wizard helps you to install USB drivers that certain computers need in order to work..." I clicked "cancel" on that window as well and the program finished loading.

See the attached, " sena install 0002.JPG" below....

I then connected my SMH10 and turned it on so my computer would recognize that a USB device was trying to connect. I went to my computers "device manager" and saw under USB devices that the sena smh10 was there but, had a yellow exclamation mark next to it which is a signal saying that it's been recognized but there is a problem with it...I right clicked on it and went to "update driver software."

See the attached, " sena install 0003.JPG" below....

Another popup window appeared allowing me to "browse" my computer....

See the attached, " sena install 0004.JPG" below....

so, I pointed to the "Local Disk C:\Program Files(x86)\sena technologies," folder which allowed me to install the Sena Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd. usb drivers without wiping out my current Intel Centrino drivers which are needed to utilize my current bt devices! My Sena BT Device Manger 1.4.4 is working and recognizing my SMH10 headsets to be able to update the firmware and my MS BT mouse and keyboard are working since my Intel Centrino drivers and program are still in-tact!

30 yrs of computer background...there's always more than 1 way to skin a cat! I just had to search my ol' tool box of a brain!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sena install 0001.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	50170   Click image for larger version

Name:	sena install 0002.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	50178   Click image for larger version

Name:	sena install 0003.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	50186   Click image for larger version

Name:	sena install 0004.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	50194  

Best Regards,
Rangerb3
2014 R1200RT Quarts Met Blue
Biloxi, Mississippi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 1st, 2014, 7:07 am

Wow Mike, good job

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 1st, 2014, 7:49 am
Lifetime Supporter

Sena had a similar problem early on with Windows Vista, use the same workaround you did to get it working. They have fixed vista, but seems that the problem has moved upstream.

At the time I had this issue, Sena was helpful but the help desk was better with their devices than with their software.

Thanks for the work around post.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 5 Old Mar 1st, 2014, 10:10 am

Thumbs up Re: SENA BT Device Manager Issues?

Maybe I just got lucky but the new Device Manager loaded fine and the device drivers installed without disturbing anything and the v.5 firmware update was successful on both units.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in