06 Stock Intercom Yes/No - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old May 20th, 2006, 6:31 pm Thread Starter

06 Stock Intercom Yes/No

I am looking at two bikes, one is an early 06 without the factory intercom and the other is later 06 with intercom standard. Is the stock intercom good or is there something better out there. Other than that bikes a equipped the same. Early 06 has options that are standard on later 06 and price is close. Thanks for your help.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old May 20th, 2006, 6:43 pm

IMHO, the Baehr intercom made specifically for the LT is "better" than the unit BMW outfits the '06s with. It's about $1200 to $1400 by the time your done with it. If you're paying that much (or more) for the BMW unit...I'd pass on it.
post #3 of 17 Old May 20th, 2006, 6:53 pm
Cat Herder

Ours came with the intercom installed and so far I can say nothing bad about it. The front end rear volume, vox sensitivity and such can be set separately (something I missed on my old autocom) and even better, that can be done while riding.

That is the only way I can ride with ear plug speakers and my wife who doesn't ride with me all the time rides with her helmet speakers.

Andreas Pleschutznig
'14 GSAW soon:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still in search of Occam's razor to cut a Gordian knot.

Last edited by andy; May 20th, 2006 at 8:51 pm. Reason: Typo correction

post #4 of 17 Old May 20th, 2006, 7:56 pm

I've got an '05 with the VOICEII intercom system in it and it has turned out to be the best accessory I have ever put on a motorcycle. The sound is supurb, the interface for the phone works flawlessly and my wife and I have really enjoyed the ability to converse at any speed without it being any problem at all and the sound for intercom, music, phone, etc. can be adjusted for each rider individually. I think BMW finally got it right. I would buy the bike with the system installed.
post #5 of 17 Old May 20th, 2006, 8:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler921
I am looking at two bikes, one is an early 06 without the factory intercom and the other is later 06 with intercom standard. Is the stock intercom good or is there something better out there. Other than that bikes a equipped the same. Early 06 has options that are standard on later 06 and price is close. Thanks for your help.
Having the VOICE II, obviously I disagree with Joe

Seriously, I believe the Baehr and the VOICE II are both top tier units. The only big difference is the extent of integration -- the VOICE II is custom-integrated into the bike; the Baehr is a separate unit which most folks put inder the seat. The choice is more a matter of personal preference, and economics -- check out the prices (*with* accessories, headsets, etc.), and decide whether you want to include the cost in your financing (oh, and IIRC, if the BMW unit is installed when the bike is purchased, the bike warranty covers the unit, too).

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #6 of 17 Old May 20th, 2006, 8:12 pm

After looking at Andy's intercom, stock rocks!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #7 of 17 Old May 20th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Thumbs up

Well...this thread is great news to me. Because in less than 24 months, I'll be buying the "new" LT. And it's good to know that I can get the Voice III installed right outta the box. Cool!

I apologize for being under the false impression that the Voice series of intercoms installed by BMW came with mixed results. Seems the Voice II has put an end to this. Again, great news!
post #8 of 17 Old May 21st, 2006, 7:35 am Thread Starter

Comparing the equipment on the bikes, the one with the intercom is only $260 higher than the other one. How is BMW going to sell the early 06 when the later production models end up being the better buy? I guess they hope all the earlier ones are gone already.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #9 of 17 Old May 21st, 2006, 12:09 pm
RMW

I, like a bunch of early 05 buyers, suffered the VOICE I and early VOICE II systems. Once they finally put Voice II 2nd generation in my bike all is well. I have been very happy with it in terms of functionality and the integration with the bike is excellent.

I ride with guys that have the Auto Comm and they are very happy with their systems. Theirs simply do not integrate as well with the bike or allow as easy adjustment of functions as the VOICE II. In my view there is not really much cost difference when all needed components are compared especilly when you factor in the 3yr warranty from BMW.

When I get my newly redesigned new 07,08,09? LT it will have the factory Comm system. As a drafted BMW comm system beta tester I feel obligated

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA
post #10 of 17 Old May 21st, 2006, 12:48 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler921
Comparing the equipment on the bikes, the one with the intercom is only $260 higher than the other one.
For $260, it's a no-brainer! Welcome to the fold.
post #11 of 17 Old May 21st, 2006, 6:30 pm

Prices

All,

Although I am happy with my VOICE II, I have to say that I would have seriousely considered the Baehr unit had I known about the poor support BMW would offer for CB integration.

My question to all is regarding the pricing. I paid around $600 for the unit, over $100 for lower cables from BMW and $240 each for Elite J&M headsets. 240+240+100+600=$1180, only $20 difference compared to the Baehr that comes as a package. The only way I could figure the cost seen in this thread is if you don't use the Elite headsets--problem is that they don't come with the correct upper cord to mate w/ the BMW lower headset cord.

Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #12 of 17 Old May 21st, 2006, 6:49 pm

I am on my third Voice II unit and this one seems to have all the bugs worked out, 3 year warranty is a nice thing. The only feature that doesn't work on mine is the phone ringing in the headset but I think that is because of the phone. The other thing I like is being able to listen to the music through the speakers and the headsets at the same time, kind of a surround sound feel to it. It is very easy to set up and use but I had to figure that all out by my self when I got my first one the dealer knew nothing about it and he gave me a photo copied sheet of paper that was just about worthless. I down loaded the manual off the internet, about 27 pagers of information.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #13 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:53 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Well...this thread is great news to me. Because in less than 24 months, I'll be buying the "new" LT. And it's good to know that I can get the Voice III installed right outta the box. Cool!
But you're assuming the Voice III will be ready when the new LTs come out. I wouldn't bet on it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 17 Old May 22nd, 2006, 1:12 pm
esa

I, too, had a Voice II intercom system installed in my '05. After going through BMW's ComSystem problems on my '99 LT, I have to say the Voice II system is really nice. Another thing I learned after it was installed is that it controls the volume on my iPod that I have connected through the Aux input on the Voice II. Really wonderful to have that capability.
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Stock Voice II!!!!!!

Got it on my '06. Good stuff out of the box rocks.

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

post #16 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 9:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
I got my first one the dealer knew nothing about it and he gave me a photo copied sheet of paper that was just about worthless. I down loaded the manual off the internet, about 27 pagers of information.
I tried to find this manual unsuccesfully,
do you remember where you found it?
Or perhaps did you save the link?
Thank you

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #17 of 17 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 3:38 pm

Send me an email address I can use and I'll bounce you a copy. The owner's manual for the Voice II is about 2 Mb in size and the install manual is about 5 Mb in size.

So many toys out there, so little time!
2015 BMW K1600GTLE

2008 Piaggio 250 Betty's toy
2001 HD FLSTSI
1957 BMW R60

IBA #26695
RA #39456
MOA #150880

Always looking for more...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in