Sena with BMW audio, SR10, Sat Nav & phone? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Oct 15th, 2013, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Sena with BMW audio, SR10, Sat Nav & phone?

I've just got a 1200RT with audio and would like to get a Sena headset.

I really want to be able to hear the radio in my headset.
Use my mobile phone
Hear the sat nav (Zumo 660, going to be wired to the radio using the built in audio in plugs)
Pair the SR10 to the headset so I can use a two way radio

Has anybody got this set up, or anybody think it is possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Re: Sena with BMW audio, SR10, Sat Nav & phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrex

Use my mobile phone
Hear the sat nav (Zumo 660, going to be wired to the radio using the built in audio in plugs)

If you search the posts you will find there are problems with the Bluetooth on the RT (if that is what you have).
I believe the solution is the tap into the rear speakers, with a 3.5mm male plug & then use this into the SM10 which provides stereo output to the SMH10 headset. The SR10 is mainly for CB & FRS radios.

Here is a link to the 2012 RT solution http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72981

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 1:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrex

Use my mobile phone

Yes, it's possible. I don't have an SR10, so can't comment on that.

Some folks have had difficulty pairing the RT Bluetooth. I haven't. There are instructions and discussion on the process in this thread .

Pairing the RT to the headset with BT will get the radio into your helmet.

Getting the 660 turn-by-turn into your helmet can be done in two ways. First, you could pair the 660 to the Sena via Bluetooth and then switch to that pairing when you want to hear the 660, either instructions or mp3, and even the phone. The Sena will remember multiple headset pairings, but can only do one at a time. Cumbersome option.

Second, you can plug the 660 audio-out line into the connector in the glove box. To hear the 660 you would select "Aux" on the RT radio. I know of no way to hear both the RT AM/FM/XM and the Zumo turn-by-turn at the same time. Aux will give you the Zumo audio, both mp3 and instructions.

To use your phone, pair it to the Zumo and use it with the RT audio or pair it straight to the Sena.

I can tell you, and others will say it is impossible (it isn't), that you will have great difficulty pairing a phone to the Zumo and the Zumo to the Sena. It's a Zumo issue. Thus, the better option is to pair the RT to the Sena and pair the phone to the Sena and let the Sena do its thing, and have the Zumo wired to the RT. That leaves the Zumo controlling the phone and the phonebook out of the equation, but far less frustrating.

You should have success pairing the phone to the Zumo, but then you have to be in Aux mode to use the phone, which is not the best if you get an incoming call while not in Aux mode - you'll be fumbling with the WonderWheel trying to get to Aux mode so you can hear the caller.

The SR10 thing should work with all of this, as the Sena supports multipoint pairing of that kind of pairing. I've never done it, though, so have no practical experience to offer.

Please note that once you have everything set up you may need to fiddle with the Bass, Treble, and AuxVol controls to get the best sound quality.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650

Last edited by 12R12RT; Oct 16th, 2013 at 1:51 pm.

post #4 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 3:12 pm Thread Starter

Thank you for the very detailed reply, seems very promising that something will work. I am going to buy everything over the next fee weeks and will give feedback on what happens.

I need the SR10, as I will have a two way radio plugged into this.

When you talked about, having the zumo plugged into the AUX port, I don't think I need to do this. Reading other posts, the RT's have three plugs under the head stock. 1.GPS power 2. Audio out / rear speaker output 3. Audio input for the GPS (usually BMW navigator, but I'm thinking of using it for my zumo)
post #5 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 3:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

The audio on the headstock is monaural, so that will work if all you want is directions, and I have to stand corrected. I think that will give you turn-by-turn all the time. I missed that as it's outside my experience, as I use the mp3 player in the 660 quite a bit.

mp3 would benefit from the input to the Aux.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #6 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

Yes think your right it is only mono, and the directions come over the radio audio. Again I'm only repeating what I've seen.

I'm thinking this May be ok for me as I'll use a ipod and FM radio on the bike mostly.
post #7 of 16 Old Oct 16th, 2013, 4:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I'll be interested to hear how you do with the iPod. My attempts to get it to work have been a dismal failure. I get the dreaded "No USB" error after a few minutes. Nothing I have tried has gotten it to work. Others have.

Supposedly there is a software update to cure the problem; I've not yet had the opportunity to get to my dealer and inquire about the updated.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #8 of 16 Old Oct 18th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12R12RT
I'll be interested to hear how you do with the iPod. My attempts to get it to work have been a dismal failure. I get the dreaded "No USB" error after a few minutes. Nothing I have tried has gotten it to work. Others have.

Supposedly there is a software update to cure the problem; I've not yet had the opportunity to get to my dealer and inquire about the updated.

Tom

You need to have the BMW cable to control the ipod/iphone music
post #9 of 16 Old Oct 18th, 2013, 11:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Do your research on the topic.

Then post.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #10 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2013, 1:16 pm

I was just trying to help. Sorry
post #11 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2013, 2:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

And I was a bit rude. I apologize.

iPods have more or less not worked with the RT audio system irrespective of whether you have a $10 Amazon/eBay cable or the $75 BMW cable (after all, copper is copper, contacts are contacts, and BMW has no Magic Dust of the Grand Wazzoo to sprinkle on these things warranting their price).

Using even the BMW cable and setting up the BMW1, BMW2, BMW3... folders for music might get the whole thing going, but the setup will work for 5 minutes and then go to the "No USB" error on the screen. At that point you can no longer control the iPod with the WonderWheel. That's what I'm seeing on mine.

I've heard there is a software update, but haven't heard any reliable details or discussion on it. I have to go down and ask to have it done and just see what happens.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #12 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2013, 3:44 pm
PCH

Quote:
And I was a bit rude. I apologize.

iPods have more or less not worked with the RT audio system irrespective of whether you have a $10 Amazon/eBay cable or the $75 BMW cable (after all, copper is copper, contacts are contacts, and BMW has no Magic Dust of the Grand Wazzoo to sprinkle on these things warranting their price).

Using even the BMW cable and setting up the BMW1, BMW2, BMW3... folders for music might get the whole thing going, but the setup will work for 5 minutes and then go to the "No USB" error on the screen. At that point you can no longer control the iPod with the WonderWheel. That's what I'm seeing on mine.

I've heard there is a software update, but haven't heard any reliable details or discussion on it. I have to go down and ask to have it done and just see what happens.

Tom
Tom
I have to say on my 2013 I use an iPod all the time, with no issues. The only time I get the no USB issue is when the system is left on at key off and when turned back on.
Never any other time. Dumb question but which iPod are you using?
Regards

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #13 of 16 Old Oct 19th, 2013, 4:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

PCH-

I've tried an iTouch and an iPod classic.

Your 2013 may have later software than my '12.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #14 of 16 Old Oct 20th, 2013, 5:50 am
PCH

Quote:
PCH-

I've tried an iTouch and an iPod classic.

Your 2013 may have later software than my '12.

Tom
I am using an iPod nano that is years old.
Must be the software

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #15 of 16 Old Nov 14th, 2013, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Just a small update.

I haven't got a Nav unit yet so are just using:

SMH10R (slim version of SMH10)
SR10 with two way radio
Ipod and USB stick into 12RT
Iphone 4S

I have paired the 12RT bluetooth to the SMH10 with no problems, but do find the audio a little poor but usable. I have wired a 3.5mm jack into the rear speaker out plug on the RT and then using a $10 bluetooth transmitter I have then paired the audio that way and it was a lot better, but I have found it effected my FM radio reception on the RT!? so have for now gone back to pairing the RT bluetooth to the SMH10 direct.

As i am using the media pairing for the bike I have only paired my iphone for telephone only and no music functions. This works fine.

used the ipod with no issues using the proper BMW cable, after I had issues with a aftermarket one. But I have now just started to leave a USB stick in with a number of play lists on, and again it works fine.

SR10 also works fine.

I think I can live with the RT bluetooth, so will not use the 3.5mm/bluetooth transmitter thing. The FM reception thing is one issue, but also powering it and turning it on and off all the time was ideal.

It's getting cold and very wet here now, so won't use the bike much over the next couple of months, so will take the chance to look for a sat nav unit.
post #16 of 16 Old Nov 15th, 2013, 8:45 am

For what it's worth. I have the following;

BMW onboard audio with bluetooth
SMH 10 Headset
SR 10 Two way radio interface
Midland CB Radio 75-822
Garmin 2820 GPS
Android Cell Phone
Blue tooth stereo transmitter

My current configuration is as follows:

BMW audio connected to Blue tooth transmitter via rear speaker connector
Cell phone paired to 2820 GPS
Midland CB hard wired to SR 10
Blue tooth transmitter, GPS, Sena SR10 all paired to SMH 10 Head Set

This combination works well 100% of the time.

I originally had the above set up except that I was pairing the BMW audio directly with the Head set without the blue tooth transmitter. This connection worked about 90% of the time. For the other 10% the audio would not connect on first attempt and took some "fiddleing" in order to connect. After installing the blue tooth transmitter all is well and I believe the audio quality is marginally better.

The only downside, if there is one, is that the blue tooth transmitter, SR 10 and of course the headset are all powered off of their internal batteries. The good news is that on a recent trip over a 6 day period all batteries ran all day every day with just an overnight charge. I have my front 12 V outlet hard wired directly to the battery and so can plug everything in to charge overnight without dissembling it all. The power requirements to charge these batteries is very small and I did not have any issues with the bike battery discharging.

One other point of interest. I originally started out with the SR 10 and the CB powered directly off of the bike battery. The receive and transmit function of the CB with that power source was extremely noisy. Apparently there was some kind of ground loop established that interfered with the CB. Disconnecting the SR 10 and powering it off it's own internal battery solved that issue.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in