Very specific wiring question - Rear Speakers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Very specific wiring question - Rear Speakers

Hi All! I've read everything in the HoW and my service manual CD on point, and my question persists.

I'm trying to run the audio signal from the rear speakers into my autocom, and I need to know which wires in the center coupler are which. By opening the speakers, I've figured this much out:

LEFT....................Yellow.................... ..Yellow/Blue....................

RIGHT...................Blue/Grey................Blue/Purple

Now, I just need to know if one is NEG and one POS, and if so, which is which?

I turned on the radio and put the voltmeter on each of the four wires separately, and EACH shows 7 volts. I was expecting to find one wire per side that had no voltage, and figured that would be the negative wire. But they both have a voltage, and I don't know why.

I'm doing something of a non-traditional autocom install. Since I frequently ride alone, I wanted the ability to turn off the autocom unit. So, I installed a SPST switch in the topcase aside the rear seat to cut power to the unit. I ALSO ran a DPDT relay in parallel off that switch. The relay will switch the positive audio signal wires from the bike radio between the rear speakers and the autocom unit. That way, when I turn off the autocom, the rear speakers work as normal, and when I turn on the autocom, the relay activates, cutting the signal from the rear speakers and sending it to the autocom instead. (If this paragraph is confusing, it is ancillary to my main question above and can be discarded en masse.)

All is installed and working well. The relay is wired and activates as planned, and the leads are all set to be soldered into the wiring harness. I just need to know what the above-mentioned colored wires are doing.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 3:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Check Jim Beard's K1200LT Autocom Install page. Look for the link to 1200 LT SML-S-CRA Wiring for the info you need.

The SML-S_CRA is a wiring lead sold by Autocom that does exactly what you want, though it sounds like you've already got the bulk of the work sorted out.

Basically, the Yellow/Blue and Blue/Grey wires are positive, and the Yellow and Blue/Purple are negative.

And the reason you're seeing voltage on all leads is that these are speakers, not light bulbs. Speakers are just coils, which take a continuously variable voltage signal, not just 12 Vdc and Ground.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I read Jim Beard's great autocom install page in the HoW a few times before beginning the project, but he doesn't show the pos/neg pinouts - only which colors go with each other. Now that I have that info, I can finish the project. Thanks again!

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 3:25 am
IBR# 366

Garage
It's true he doesn't label them as + and - but it's the left + and right + wires that get cut in his diagram. Glad it helped.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2011, 8:43 pm

Re: Very specific wiring question - Rear Speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Check Jim Beard's K1200LT Autocom Install page. Look for the link to 1200 LT SML-S-CRA Wiring for the info you need.

The SML-S_CRA is a wiring lead sold by Autocom that does exactly what you want, though it sounds like you've already got the bulk of the work sorted out.

Basically, the Yellow/Blue and Blue/Grey wires are positive, and the Yellow and Blue/Purple are negative.

And the reason you're seeing voltage on all leads is that these are speakers, not light bulbs. Speakers are just coils, which take a continuously variable voltage signal, not just 12 Vdc and Ground.
I have looked at Jim Beard's instruction set regarding hooking up rear speakers to headphones on an Autocomm and many other threads about the subject. My question is: Will Jim Beard's instructions work on my K1200LT 2000 model?

A few of the threads mentioned 2005 and 2006 models and a couple of people with 2009 models had some questions about it. But will Mr. Beards instructions work on a 2000 model?

Thank you in advance
Jonny Oliver
2000 K1200 LT
1993 K1100 LT
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2011, 11:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliver
I have looked at Jim Beard's instruction set regarding hooking up rear speakers to headphones on an Autocomm and many other threads about the subject. My question is: Will Jim Beard's instructions work on my K1200LT 2000 model?

A few of the threads mentioned 2005 and 2006 models and a couple of people with 2009 models had some questions about it. But will Mr. Beards instructions work on a 2000 model?

Thank you in advance
Jonny Oliver
2000 K1200 LT
1993 K1100 LT
Been a long time since I've worked on an Autocomm installation, butt yes, Beard's instructions should work for a 2000 LT.
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 6th, 2011, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliver

I used those instructions on my 2002 several years ago and they worked beautifully. Not one problem in 8 years with the Autocom. Only problem with the AutoCom "system" was the big black wire connecting it to my helmet. Bluetooth solved that problem in the new bike.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 12 Old Nov 6th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Just be careful to make the splices on the proper side of the main plug going to the trunk and speakers. DAMHIK.

Larry Johnson
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 17th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Thanks Dick and Dan Diver for your replies. Larry, I havn't looked at the diagrams for a couple of weeks, but will the diagrams tell me which side to cut into? I would guess the proper side is after the main plug on the way to the speakers.

From an electrically challenged rider! (As if you couldn't tell!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljjohns
Just be careful to make the splices on the proper side of the main plug going to the trunk and speakers. DAMHIK.

Larry Johnson
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 11:49 am

You're not as challenged as I am. Yes, it should be on the side going to the trunk and speakers, the end with the blue arrow.

For reasons known only to God, I made the connections on the other side.I should have had a clue when I had to reverse the color connections, but I forged on. Now I can't remove the trunk fully because the Autcom wiring is fixed to the end of the connector coming from the front of the bike.

Larry Johnson
post #11 of 12 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljjohns
You're not as challenged as I am. Yes, it should be on the side going to the trunk and speakers, the end with the blue arrow.

For reasons known only to God, I made the connections on the other side.I should have had a clue when I had to reverse the color connections, but I forged on. Now I can't remove the trunk fully because the Autcom wiring is fixed to the end of the connector coming from the front of the bike.

Larry Johnson
This is the best site of advisors that I have ever experienced or ever heard of. Thank each of you for keeping me straight. I hope that someday I can help out too.

Jonny Oliver
Concord, NC
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese

Save yourself some grief, autocom makes a lead with instructions which will save you a lot of time and it will work properly after you are finished. This leads requires a ground loop isolator, without it the radio will just howl in you headset. Kieth call me for more info. 918-446-2245

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in