SMH10 update - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2013, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

SMH10 update

Firmware 4.2 is out for the SMH-10.. I highly recommend you install it..

Voice prompts:
Better pairing..
Pairs to my wifes Samsung phone now .. Never would before..

I bought a litle bluetooth transmitter that I'm hooking up to a mixer I bought to combine all the signals from GPS, MP3 player and Radar Detector..

Works flawlessly...

This is a really great product.. We use it every ride.. And now with the mixer and multiple inputs I can mix everything together and have it all bluetooth to my headset.

Life is good....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2013, 6:53 am

Re: SMH10 update

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
Firmware 4.2 is out for the SMH-10.. I highly recommend you install it..

Voice prompts:
Better pairing..
Pairs to my wifes Samsung phone now .. Never would before..

I bought a litle bluetooth transmitter that I'm hooking up to a mixer I bought to combine all the signals from GPS, MP3 player and Radar Detector..

Works flawlessly...

This is a really great product.. We use it every ride.. And now with the mixer and multiple inputs I can mix everything together and have it all bluetooth to my headset.

Life is good....

John
Please elaborate on the bluetooth transmitter and mixer.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #3 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2013, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everything plugs into the Amplirider, Then the Bluetooth transmitter plugs into the Amplirider output...

BT up to the SMH10

AND I'm happy with the fidelity thru the system...

Sweet....

John

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2013, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen
http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplirider.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everything plugs into the Amplirider, Then the Bluetooth transmitter plugs into the Amplirider output...

BT up to the SMH10

AND I'm happy with the fidelity thru the system...

Sweet....

John
John, thanks for the details. I'm doing pretty well with my SMH10 connected via bluetooth to the RT audio, and my Garmin 2820 and my phone serviced through the Garmin. What I'm looking for is a convenient way to add a CB radio to the mix. Guess I'm stuck purchasing the SENA SR10 or the newer SR10i, either one of which is pretty pricy. OH YEA, I know, no one uses CB anymore. Well that is except for all the Gold Wingers out there. I ride weekly with a small group which includes quite a few Goldwings and having the CB would be nice.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #5 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2013, 10:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
John, thanks for the details. I'm doing pretty well with my SMH10 connected via bluetooth to the RT audio, and my Garmin 2820 and my phone serviced through the Garmin. What I'm looking for is a convenient way to add a CB radio to the mix. Guess I'm stuck purchasing the SENA SR10 or the newer SR10i, either one of which is pretty pricy. OH YEA, I know, no one uses CB anymore. Well that is except for all the Gold Wingers out there. I ride weekly with a small group which includes quite a few Goldwings and having the CB would be nice.
Lynn, try pinging Ken Meese as he has that setup on his (not so new now) K1600GT

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #6 of 8 Old Apr 13th, 2013, 7:07 pm Thread Starter

Completed install

Here's the finished product... Works great..
Notice the Bluetooth transmitter underneath the Amplirider... So small you almost can't see it..

post #7 of 8 Old Apr 16th, 2013, 5:22 am

I'm curious. How is it with the Amplirider OUT of the loop?
Why I ask is that my way of thinking has the Amplirider on the wrong side of your setup to do it's thing. I would think it would have to be on the 'headset side' for it to boost the signal coming from the BT transmitter. I'm quite possibly wrong here, but as I figure it, the output capabilities of the BT transmitter is what you're getting to the headset. I can't see that the boosted output from the Amplirider would translate through to the headset with the transmitter in between the two. I think all you'd be getting is whatever amount of 'boost' the transmitter is able to put out. The Amplirider would just boost the signal from your source (not likely to clean it up, more likely the opposite) and pass it to the transmitter.
If you remove the Amplirider from the equation and the output falls on it's ass, then I stand corrected. Maybe someone with some real life BT knowledge can chime in here.
I'd be interested to know.
OTOH, I have an IPod Touch with BT and it goes to a BT dongle receiver that my earbuds are plugged into and if the volume is lowered on the Touch, the volume in my earbuds does drop. This makes me think that the amplified output DOES pass through the BT transmitter. This way one can use a less expensive non-BT IPod, plug it into the Amplirider, then the AR into the BT transmitting dongle and get the benefit of the AR at the headset. Cool.
I'd just as soon not pack the more expensive Touch when I can use the smaller, lesser $$$ IPod.

post #8 of 8 Old Apr 17th, 2013, 3:25 am

Garage

I updated my SMH10 to 4.2, and I must confess I am not 100% happy with the "upgrade"

Previously the order on switching on the GPS (Nav IV) and headset, was GPS first, then the headset. This way, it allowed the GPS to boot up, and find all the MP3 files.

After the upgrade if I use this method, the A2DP profile does not appear to have loaded, as I cannot play MP3 music. If I switch the headset on first then it appears to work.

After reading elsewhere in the forum, that the could be a problem with the latest upgrade to the 660 / Nav IV, I decided to postpone upgrading the GPS.

Has anyone else noticed this or am I the first (and only one!)

Best regards
Adam

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in