06 Voice II and Cell Phone Problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Apr 1st, 2006, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

06 Voice II and Cell Phone Problem

I am having trouble getting my cell phone and voice II to work. I bought the cell phone cable today from BMW to connect my cell phone into the Voice II, and set my phone to auto awnser per the instructions in the book (yes I read the book after everything else did not work).

The problem is that when the cell phone rings, sometimes my radio does not mute and when it does, there can be a delay of 31 seconds.

The other problem is that when I hold in my PTT switch, I can only talk for about 6 seconds and then the PTT disengages.

As anyone else had these types of problems?

Note: I am using a J&M helmet with headset built in.

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 1:08 am

I have a similar problem

I took mine back to A&S found they had a bad jack for the cell phone connection. The Voice II has a two year warr. They will replace as soon as we have nice enough weather to drop off the bike.
post #3 of 17 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 5:20 pm
RMW

Unhappy

Mark,

I have the same set as you and I spent a lot of time trying to get the cell phone to work correctly. I have pretty much given up. My Voice II phone connection is set to work with the vox not a PTT. My PTT is for the FRS radio and does not work with the cell phone. This may be a configuration issue for you.

I am on my second VOICE II unit and have learned the incoming phone calls rarely mute your music well and if there is no music on you will not know you have a call unless the caller speaks first. A few cell phones will ring into the headset as a configuarable option on the phone and this will work if you can find one. The only one I could find was a Kyoceria and it did not have other features I needed. It did ring into the com system however the volume was very weak and easy to miss. It is almost impossible to get the VOX to work correctly with the cell phone at highway speeds even though it works great with the intercom system.

At best, my cell phone works marginally at lower speeds and not very well or not at all at highway speeds.

good luck

Ron Wilkerson
05 LT
07 KLR
09 GSA

post #4 of 17 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 9:47 pm
Cat Herder

So far I have no problem with cell phone calls, and music gets muted every time someone calls. BUT, and that is a big BUTT, you have to be able to tell your cell phone to ring in the headset, otherwise you are pretty much SOL. My old cell phone didn;t do that, and only the folks that called me often enough and knew about the problem started talking and then muted the music. Now with the new phone that problem is not there any more. I have a different problem, in that the volume of the phone is not very load, but I will solve that in another way.

Bottomline: Get a phone that rings in the headset and you will have muted music every time.
post #5 of 17 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:58 am

My cell phone works well with the VOICE II on my '05 with the exception that it doesn't ring in the head set. It does however take priority over all other inputs so when there is an incoming call and it auto answers the head set gets quiet. When that happens I check for signal strength on my satellite radio. If it shows a good signal I assume there's an incoming call and simply say hello. I've had no problem carrying on a conversation at highway speed.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 10:35 pm

I am on my third Voice II, just got it in on Friday and I haven't checked the phone but on the last one with the phone on auto answer it worked but it would not ring in the headset. It would not mute the music, I only knew I had someone on the phone because I had my wife call me standing in front of me.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 17 Old Apr 10th, 2006, 12:51 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I did drop off my bike at the dealer and they said there was nothing wrong, and the fact the volume muted some of the time was just random. What is strange is that the owner’s manual states it should work. They did replace the entire VOICE II unit to be safe, but as others have stated, it’s a hit and miss and frustrating to look down and see a bunch of missed calls. On a four hour ride today I tested many different configurations and the same results.
post #8 of 17 Old Apr 13th, 2006, 2:27 pm

I can certainly embrace newer and better, and the notion of a new motorcycle is intriguing, but in many ways I am SO thankful I still have my '03 with the tried and true BMW Comm System made by J & M, instead of the VOICE II with all the accompanying issues I read about everyday on this forum. A friend of mine here in the area is going 'round and 'round right now with a VOICE II over similiar issues. None of us were privy to the negotiations between John L and BMW when that deal fell apart, and who among us besides them knows what transpired to result in that split, but I think VOICE I & II owners have so far suffered as a result unfortunately. BMW has GOT to get on the stick with this VOICE II situation and get this business straightened out. Not to generalize, but the average LT'er IMHO is into their farkles and gadgets in a big way, not the least of which is our electro-communications setup. I think I'll hold onto what I've got for a while...cheaper that way too!

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #9 of 17 Old Apr 14th, 2006, 8:57 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger6
I can certainly embrace newer and better, and the notion of a new motorcycle is intriguing, but in many ways I am SO thankful I still have my '03 with the tried and true BMW Comm System made by J & M, instead of the VOICE II with all the accompanying issues I read about everyday on this forum. A friend of mine here in the area is going 'round and 'round right now with a VOICE II over similiar issues. None of us were privy to the negotiations between John L and BMW when that deal fell apart, and who among us besides them knows what transpired to result in that split, but I think VOICE I & II owners have so far suffered as a result unfortunately. BMW has GOT to get on the stick with this VOICE II situation and get this business straightened out. Not to generalize, but the average LT'er IMHO is into their farkles and gadgets in a big way, not the least of which is our electro-communications setup. I think I'll hold onto what I've got for a while...cheaper that way too!
I'm with Al here. I also have an '03 LTE with the BMW J&M intercom system. It rocks! Cell phone, FRS, ICE>Link, single CD and of course rider to pillion intercom, VOX and sensivity controls. Just wouldn't put up with anything less. Sometimes when you go back to the drawing board and try to re-engineer the wheel, you realize it's not as easy as it seemed. That's where BMW is now with the VOICE system. Such a shame since the J&M system worked so well in '03. My two cents worth.

Joe Buttress
Plain Washington
2003 LTE
IBA SS
post #10 of 17 Old Apr 15th, 2006, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Ranger6 & Lovetomotor;

I wish I had known before I purchased, as I would have purchased my bike without a VOICE II. I am now on my second VOICE II (in less than a month) and was informed by the dealer that "sometimes it works and sometimes it does not" and that’s the best they can do. I am evaluating what my next steps are going to be. Is it asking too much to work as advertised?

My disappointment may be that I "expected" everything to work as the website states, and my owner’s manual says it should. I know it is not my phone as my phone works great on non VOICE II systems. Its funny that some have reported it works great.

As of now, my VOICE II is useless with my cell phone which means when I ride, I am out of contact. I called my wife three times sitting in my driveway. The first and third time did not work, but the second time worked fine. Needless to say; very frustrating.

My J&M helmet with headset works great and fits well.
post #11 of 17 Old Apr 16th, 2006, 6:55 am

To be fair, I think the intended design of the VOICE II has merit, especially with the infinitely adjustable front/rear internal headset volume, allowing the rider and pillion to dial in exactly what and how loud they want to hear whatever is being broadcasted or played, etc., but apparently the final execution of the product at the end user level is what stinks for the most part (unless you are one of the lucky ones who have a rare one that works!) It reminds me of the cars coming out of Europe in the seventies, after emission standards were adopted here in the U.S. At the time, the Germans were basically so miffed and incensed that their finely engineered autos were being subjected to such performance robbing add ons like a catalytic converter, that they basically just slapped the darn things on there, shipped them off to the U.S. and essentially could have cared less whether the car ran right or not. Obviously, the lucrative American market has caused them to rethink that approach through the years.

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee
post #12 of 17 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 4:03 pm

Smile Voice II and cell phone problems. Forget it. Get Bluetooth.

I have an 05 w/Voice II. Got the cell phone cord and plugged it in. Every time the cell phone moved, (turns, stops, etc) I got static. So, I padded the cell phone. But the real problem was, the only way to MAKE a call is to pull over, stop, open the tank cover, pick up the cell phone and dial it. There is no provision for hands free operation in the VOICE II setup.

I attended the unveiling of the BMW Adventure a couple of Friday nights ago and while there, the sales mgr showed me the CARDCO La Scala Bluetooth wireless headset for helmets. They wanted $150 for it and I found it on the internet at J&R Music World/Computer World. http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4082926.

First, the good news. It is incredible. It works. I now leave my cell phone in the special cell phone pocket inside my vest (or jacket), and enjoy FULL functionality of handsfree cell phone use including making calls, taking calls, etc. And, the sound is great. You hear the phone ringing and you can even choose to NOT answer it.

Now, the bad news. Cardco had apparently never actually had a helmet to mount it on, and was not aware that the microphone boom needs to be several inches longer and the earphone needs to have connectors that will allow you to connect to the speakers already in your helmet. The biggest downside for me at least is that the speaker (while very small and thin) mounts on top of my current speaker in my helmet and effectively makes my radio a mono instead of stereo and kills my ear since my Schuberth helmet has no excess space between my ear and my current speaker. I am going to have to remove my speaker on the left side, make the hole deeper and then figure a way to put the other speaker in so that it doesn't extend out as far.
Another idea (which is risky and would look butt-ugly) is to cut the speaker cable going into my helmet and somehow connect the Bluetooth speaker wire to it so that the new unit uses my current earphone.

I checked the microphone response at 60 mph and even though it is about 3 inches below my mouth, picks up well. That could be due to the fact that my Schuberth is so quiet.

However, this eliminates the problem of not being able to make calls or hear the phone ring. If there's a better solution I'd like to hear about it.

I know that are some new Bluetooth equipped helmets coming on the market, but I'm not replacing my helmet for another 4 years. So that's not an option for me.

Triker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #13 of 17 Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:49 pm

When I went in for my third VoiceII last week my service manager said the same thing, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't nothing we can do about it! He also said there was just to many electrical things on the bike and the mechanics just could keep up with all the gadgets. What a bunch of crap! They had no problem charging me the money for this. I wish I didn't like the way it works when it works and how easy it is to use it would make it easy for me to ask for my money back.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #14 of 17 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 1:00 pm

Smile Voice II and cell phone problems. Forget it. Get Bluetooth.

When I said "Hands Free", I overlooked the fact, that in fact you do need to use your left hand to puch a button on the unit to activate the voice command feature and then a different button on it to end a call. But aside from those two "button depressions", the rest is indeed, "Hands Free."

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #15 of 17 Old Apr 18th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
When I went in for my third VoiceII last week my service manager said the same thing, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't nothing we can do about it! He also said there was just to many electrical things on the bike and the mechanics just could keep up with all the gadgets. What a bunch of crap! They had no problem charging me the money for this. I wish I didn't like the way it works when it works and how easy it is to use it would make it easy for me to ask for my money back.
Doug, could you share the problems you've had with your VOICE II's? I'd like to know what I may have in my my future and what to look/listen for. I bought my '05 last October, installed the VOICE II and have had 6000 mi of trouble free use. I don't have a CB and rarely connect my cell phone except to initiate a call, then it works perfectly.

Bruce Hodges
post #16 of 17 Old Sep 20th, 2006, 3:27 pm

I just got a new phone with automatic call acceptance function......However the Sprint sales guys did not know what cable I need? The manual calls for three-pin jack connector with diameter of 0.1 in (2.5mm) on the control unit end.

I went to Lonestar they would not next day the cable.
(Assume my tech session pissed them off??)

?? #1) My question is can I get the three-pin jack connector at radio shack?

Lonestar gave me the part number:
cell phone adapter: 9999 0000203.

I have the New 2006 lt with BMW comm sys VOICE II.

I have call Alamo they told me there where no cables in the US.

Kinda hard to believe!!

I have e-mailed John Lazzeroni at J & M...w/cc to Lonestar

?? #2) Getting the sound from my radar detector (X50 passport 8500) into the headset...
Lonestar said it is not possible....

I believe Dave Dragon mentioned I need a AAWI plug or something like that...???

?? #3) Also Lonestar has replaced the J&M CB unit three times I still cannot transmit...Got any Ideas??

guessing is Time to drive to Houston for better service !!

Jeff Goodwin

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

post #17 of 17 Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 1:32 pm

Re: 06 Voice II and Cell Phone Problem

i too am having a problem with talking on the cell phone. I have an '06 k1200lt & voice II and motorrad III. I'm unsure of where to purchase the proper plug to fit into the voiceII and my razor phone. Any suggestions?
I've tried calling via the gps, and it dials, and i hear them, yet they can't hear me, via bluetooth. HELP!

'83 R65 - PAST
'87 K100LT - PAST
'05 K1200LT- PAST
'06 K1200LT- PRESENT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in