Need help pairing Sena with RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PatEdYoung

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jan 30th, 2013, 5:22 pm Thread Starter

Need help pairing Sena with RT

Anyone have a Sena SMH10-11 (or close) and a blue tooth RT? I'm trying to pair mine with my 2012 RT's radio (for now) and can't seem to "break the code" as to how to do it. Any advice is appreciated.

Darryl

EntropyD
AKA: D, Darryl
2012 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jan 30th, 2013, 7:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: Need help pairing Sena with RT

I have done this successfully several times (after each firmware upgrade on the Sena). Mine is a -10, but that should make no difference, as the base unit is the same.

I don't want to go all Captain Obvious on you and recite the instructions, as I'm sure you're OK there.

Can you describe what you've done and where it's failing? Do you know what firmware version is on the Sena (that should make no difference either, but the current version tells us to turn EDR off for BMW, and the new beta version is silent in that regard)?

The only non-obvious hint I can provide is to delete all pairings on the RT and the Sena before starting; ya never know what may be in there.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #3 of 8 Old Jan 30th, 2013, 8:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I just saw your other thread, so here goes.

Begin by ensuring that all Bluetooth devices are off – computers, cell phones, cell phone headsets, etc.

Turn the SENA on by pressing the JOG and PHONE buttons.
Wait for the nice lady to finish talking.
Press and hold the JOG dial until you hear “Configuration Menu”. This will come up after about 12 seconds. Ignore any other instructions.
Twist the JOG dial one click at a time until you hear “Delete All Pairings”. Tap the PHONE button. You should hear “All Pairings Deleted”.
Twist the JOG dial again until you hear “Exit Configuration”. Tap the PHONE button. All pairings have been deleted.

Turn the RT on.
Press SET button on the RT audio panel twice until BT ON/OFF shows up. Jog the WunderWheel to take it to BT ON.
Press the SET button to go to PAIRING and jog the wheel to RESET and hold a jog until it says OK, that should clear any pairings.
Jog the wheel until HELMET 1 shows up, then hold a jog until SEARCH shows up. The system should be searching now and the BlueTooth icon flashing.

Returning to the SENA, press the PHONE button for 5 seconds. You should hear some beeps. The LED should be flashing red and blue. Immediately tap the JOG dial again and listen for “Media Selective Pairing”.

Wait.

The RT Audio should, after a bit, say OK. That means the pairing is complete. The SENA (going from memory) should say something about media pairing being accomplished.

Hopefully, all has gone well and the pairing is done. You should hear the RT Audio in the helmet.

Sometimes it will not take and you need to start over. Deleting the pairings in not a necessary step on a do-over.

I hope that works for you. If it doesn't, tell me what happened and I'll see if I can work through it with you.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650

post #4 of 8 Old Jan 31st, 2013, 6:32 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12R12RT
I just saw your other thread, so here goes.

Begin by ensuring that all Bluetooth devices are off – computers, cell phones, cell phone headsets, etc.

Turn the SENA on by pressing the JOG and PHONE buttons.
Wait for the nice lady to finish talking.
Press and hold the JOG dial until you hear “Configuration Menu”. This will come up after about 12 seconds. Ignore any other instructions.
Twist the JOG dial one click at a time until you hear “Delete All Pairings”. Tap the PHONE button. You should hear “All Pairings Deleted”.
Twist the JOG dial again until you hear “Exit Configuration”. Tap the PHONE button. All pairings have been deleted.

Turn the RT on.
Press SET button on the RT audio panel twice until BT ON/OFF shows up. Jog the WunderWheel to take it to BT ON.
Press the SET button to go to PAIRING and jog the wheel to RESET and hold a jog until it says OK, that should clear any pairings.
Jog the wheel until HELMET 1 shows up, then hold a jog until SEARCH shows up. The system should be searching now and the BlueTooth icon flashing.

Returning to the SENA, press the PHONE button for 5 seconds. You should hear some beeps. The LED should be flashing red and blue. Immediately tap the JOG dial again and listen for “Media Selective Pairing”.

Wait.

The RT Audio should, after a bit, say OK. That means the pairing is complete. The SENA (going from memory) should say something about media pairing being accomplished.

Hopefully, all has gone well and the pairing is done. You should hear the RT Audio in the helmet.

Sometimes it will not take and you need to start over. Deleting the pairings in not a necessary step on a do-over.

I hope that works for you. If it doesn't, tell me what happened and I'll see if I can work through it with you.

Tom
I got this in the other section, as well, but, again, thanks. Will give this a try at my first opportunity and let you know how it goes. Really appreciate you taking the time to spell this out. I thought I understood the procedure originally but apparently I did not. I needed someone to go "Captain Obvious" on me. So, thanks cap!

EntropyD
AKA: D, Darryl
2012 R1200RT
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 13th, 2015, 8:22 pm

Tom,
Thanks for the walk thru.
Just getting my new to me '11 set up and found this advice to be spot on.
This tech stuff has to get simpler cuz I ain't getting any younger.
Once again, searching the forum yields answers, thanks to all that keep answering questions.
12R12RT likes this.

Pat Young
2011 R1200RT
How cool is this, I get to ride too!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old May 10th, 2015, 1:16 pm

I've just bought a pair of Sena SMH10 too and found this perfect advice on how to get it to work with the RT so thanks very much.

However, and I'm sorry if I'm missing something really obvious, I have my phone paired to my GPS (Garmin 660) which in turn is connected to the RT via the BMW GPS mount. The problem with this is that I don't always use my GPS and I would still like to have access to the phone via the Sena.

Is there a configuration that I need to have these two options readily available?

Terry

post #7 of 8 Old May 10th, 2015, 9:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Terry,

No real configuration needed, just pair the phone directly to the Sena one time. They will remember the pairing even if you seldom use it. The Sena supports a boatload of pairings. I have mine paired to my phone, GPS, a BT dongle, i-Touch, and a second GPS.

You may find that, if you are going to go with the Phone>GPS>Sena set-up, you will need to keep the Sena off and turn the GPS on and let the GPS and phone pair. Then turn the Sena on and let it pair with the GPS. If they are all on simultaneously during pairing, the Sena may pair with the phone and both will ignore the GPS.

To use the phone without the GPS, simply turn the Sena on and it will pair with the phone.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650

Last edited by 12R12RT; May 10th, 2015 at 9:55 pm.
post #8 of 8 Old May 11th, 2015, 4:39 am

Tom,

Thanks very much. Of course that's the solution and I should have realised it. I think I got so stressed trying to pair the Sena with the RT, until I saw your solution, I lost the use of my brain.
Thanks again for your help which I'll do when I'm home again.

Terry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in