UClear Boomless Bluetooth Communcation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 26th, 2013, 4:07 pm Thread Starter

UClear Boomless Bluetooth Communcation

Recently sampled these at the Vancouver motorcycle show. It is a boomless bluetooth communication system. I tried without a helmet and it was almost too good to believe. Very good noise reduction and quality, but that like I said ... not really in a helmet. Here are some links:

http://www.uclear-digital.com/HBC200force.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdZ59...layer_embedded

So many questions, and value your general input as well as my burning questions.

1. I don't have audio on my 2011 RT and have no interest in streaming music or radio. Wondering if the UClear will pair with BMW Nav IV and iPhone?

2. Wondering if helmet type and/or cheek pads impact audio since the mic pickup is on the ear piece?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Blair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 7:24 am

Re: UClear Boomless Bluetooth Communcation

I have a UBC200.

It will pair with an iPhone (I have the iPhone 4). When paired directly to the iPhone, it works very well. Transmission quality is reported good by people on the other end of the call. Noise cancelling is excellent. I started one call, explaining that I wanted to test my headset on my motorcycle. As I continued the conversation, I started the bike, rode out of the park (25 mph limit), and worked up to 50 mph. Then I was asked "So when are you going to get going?"

The unit will also pair with my archaic BMW Navigator III, so I would assume it will pair with the IV.

When both the iPhone and the UBC200 are paired with the GPS, you lose the ability to voice dial (unless it's operator error on my part). I was able to make calls by dialing via the GPS, though.

I have not tried the unit for bike-to-bike comm, as I don't know anyone else that has one.

The down side for me is the relatively low volume available. I ride a 1200 GS, and wear foam ear plugs. At speeds over 50, even with an aftermarket windshield (Aeroflow), the volume is inadequate for phone calls/music/GPS directions. I have moved the speakers around in my helmet (Schuberth C3) but haven't been able to improve the volume situation. Having never ridden an RT (a woeful condition I hope to correct soon), I don't know if the better wind protection would make the UBC useable at speed.

My main objective in getting a headset was to be able to hear the GPS commands. I tend to need GPS help more in unfamiliar urban/low speed areas than on the highway, so the headset helps, but I really wish it had adequate volume for use at highway speed on my GS.

Phone calls are a low priority for me when riding, as I would rather focus on what I am doing (plus, I have serious heartburn with incompetent phone-yakking cagers, so I would feel hypocritical if I joined them). However, the up side is having my family be able to reach me when I'm riding (they have unique ring tones - I ignore other calls). Also, when I'm stopped, it's nice to be able to make/take a call without taking my helmet off.

One suggestion I would make regarding this unit or any other headset: after you install it in your helmet, spend some time taking and making calls, working with the various function buttons, etc., so you are VERY familiar with the unit's operation before you ever roll out of the driveway. These things can be a huge distraction.

Tim
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 10th, 2013, 12:11 am Thread Starter

Tim, thanks for all the valuable information you have provided.

I share similar sentiments around taking voice calls, and prefer the comm mostly for rider-2-passenger and GPS turn by turn. Interesting that the volume is inadequate at speed and is something to consider. I wear custom earplugs with a small filter for voice, perhaps that will be an improvement. I'll report back, but it will be several months before the snow is gone and the bike is out of the garage.

You've given me enough confidence in the device to give it a run for its money. Will let you know

Thanks again, Tim.

Blair
Kelowna, British Columbia
2011 R1200RT

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 16th, 2013, 10:12 pm

Great info......I just stumbled across this. I was about to post up a question about the availability of a boom-less system, or a system that allows removal of the mic. I have no use for a microphone and I dont see that changing. I only want to hear music or GPS commands and I don't want a mic in front of me all the time. It seems that's what one gets with a BT headset, whether you want it or not.
I am concerned though about the music quality and volume, or lack of.
Anyone else with this setup?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in