To Wire Or Not To Wire? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

To Wire Or Not To Wire?

Hello every one! Hope all are with good health and ready for Christmas. After all kinds of research I am still a bit afraid of getting a scala or any other wireless intercom because of the fact that every body has a issue with it at some point no matter how new or how updated it is. All I want is to be able to hear the bikes radio,Ipod touch music if I select aux on the bike's controls, helmet to helmet comm and that my gps wich is a bmw motorrad 3 cancels all the audio to give directions, I also don't know if this can be done buying the original set up for the bike. I have the VOICE 2 by the way on my '07 K1200LT . Please help me with this if you can. Stress with communications is the last thing I need on the road as crazy as it is out there sometimes. Plus I don't want to have buyer's remorse after I make the investment. Soooooo if hard wiring is the answer to peace of mind with communications? Let it be. Thank you all for replies in advance. Merry Christmas!

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 5:49 pm

Re: To Wire Or Not To Wire?

I had the same questions about a year ago, bit the bullet and bought a SENA headset. It only lasted a few months, got a replacement. The replacement only lasted a few weeks. I sold the third replacement and bought an Autocom system. I'm happy...

Here's what I use it for:

Garmin Zumo 550 commands
Telephone via Zumo
XM radio via Zumo
Books on tape via Zumo
Ipod

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 8:10 pm

Still using Baehr wired intercom. We just talk and the other person hears it. We hear everything from the bikes sound system, radio, GPS, and Ipod etc. Music auto mutes when talking, volume increases with speed. Wired is great, no charging batteries. The only down side you have to plug in when you get on the bike and remembering to unplug before you get off.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 24th, 2012, 2:33 am

Garage

I had a Scala Rider G4, and could not get it to work properly with the BMW Navigator IV, MP3, Intercom and updating. Every trip with the wife there was something wrong with it - as well as problems with the MP3 playing. I needed to have a certain start up procedure otherwise it would not connect at all. The only thing that did not have any problem was the phone calling.

After the nth time of taking it back to the dealer and having them sit on it for weeks (the replacement also gave issues!) I got my money back. I too wanted the wired option, but with the BMW Navigator IV this is a problem - no wired output only wireless. I investigated and wanted either the Autocom intercom or the StarCom 1. I had had an Autocom intercom and it was fantastic, though it was over 15 years ago! Due to the previous experience I was interested in the Autocom, and made a few calls around. As they do not have that many dealers in Belgium, I called a BMW dealer in the UK, who advised that wired was effectively over. He also advised that with the issue of needing a Bluetooth module would also be a weak spot, I could consider the merits of the Sena SMH10.

On further investigation the relative costs for an equivalent wired set-up to the SMH10 were similar (without any fitting costs) I decided to try to the Sena. So far one year later, the only major intercom issue I had was that I could not re-pair the headsets together. That was my fault, and not the machines - After an upgrade I did not check the pairing until it was needed! (Not good!)

My wife is happy with the set-up, I use it daily to listen to MP3 on the commute and that has worked flawlessly.

If I have to complain at anything - I think the connection of the module to the headset is not as good as it could be. The Scala Rider had a better connection method, but still right now I would rather be with the Sena than the Scala Rider.

If you really want to go the Wired option - for my money I would look at either Autocom or StarCom 1. Autocom has been taken over by the owners of StarCom 1 so some or all of the modules could use similar components / technologies.

I think with any option you choose there are people who do not get on with that item. I have seen glowing reports on the ScalaRider, and complaints against the Sena. Complaints against Autocom / StarCom, in equal measure to the praise!

I wish you luck in your search - you will always have some form of buyers regret as there is something that does not quite work as it should! However with research it could be reduced!

My apologies for the length.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 24th, 2012, 5:18 am

Your satisfaction will depend on your expectation.

My communication needs were very simple. I wanted to listen to music when not listening to my GPS on my LT and at the time, about 10 years ago, that was with a self installed AutoCom with a wire to my helmet. No rider to passenger to other rider communication and no cell phone.

Today, my K1600 GTL has Bluetooth from the built in intercom/GPS/audio to my helmet without wires. Still ride solo and have played successfully with a bluetooth cell phone that I don't use.

My needs today are simple and as long as I remember to charge up my Schuberth helmet about once a week, everything works to my satisfaction.

Just for knowledge, if you will check out the K1600 forum, there is a lot of wireless info because the new bikes come with bluetooth. You can probably apply that to any bike.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 24th, 2012, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

This is my ideal plan.
Connect iPod touch to aux imput of bikes unit.
Listen to bikes radio and iPod on intercom system trough the GPS motorrad 3 blue tooth. ( can it be done?)
Have audio cancelled when directions are given by GPS.
Wife can hear same radio stations,( I could live without this) don't know how will the unit know unles we get a intercom with its own radio built in. Not really sure.
Wife can listen to iPod with me.
Would be nice if wife hears GPS directions too. In case I miss something.
I don't need phone calls when on the bike so I don't have to pair no phones.
And be able to talk to each other. Thanks for replies so far guys. Sorry if I sound too confused and ignorant about this. Thank you for taking the time to help me. Really appreciate that.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 24th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic
This is my ideal plan.
Listen to bikes radio and iPod on intercom system trough the GPS motorrad 3 blue tooth. ( can it be done?)
Wife can hear same radio stations,( I could live without this) don't know how will the unit know unles we get a intercom with its own radio built in. Not really sure.
And be able to talk to each other. Thanks for replies so far guys. Sorry if I sound too confused and ignorant about this. Thank you for taking the time to help me. Really appreciate that.
I have all that with the wired intercom, easy. Blue tooth would be much harder to get that if possible. Currently two bluetooth head sets would not have the same bluetooth music source, and you can only pair gps to one headset. There is hope for bluetooth if you use a dual transmitter and have your wired stuff go to that. Check out Sena. http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 25th, 2012, 1:10 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic
This is my ideal plan.
Currently my set up uses an SD card on the GPS for the music, and I do not have the radio installation. I have the GPS linked directly to the Sena. According to both Sena and ScalaRider there is a priority and the most important is the GPS/phone setting. This will override external music and conversations.

Without additional equipment, you cannot connect one device to two headsets. However the GPS instructions are not always accurate dependant on how the road connection is made. e.g. turn left (translation: follow road left) keep right (translation: turn right).

Best regards & Happy Christmas
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in