IMC Microphone and Speaker Kit - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 19th, 2012, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

IMC Microphone and Speaker Kit

If anyone has tried the IMC Microphone and Speaker Kit, I'd like to hear your feedback. The kit is offered by Whitehorse Gear for $65 (part #BHS30-USB).

2009 K1200LT
2002 Sportster XL1200 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 19th, 2012, 4:03 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: IMC Microphone and Speaker Kit

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2005 K1200LT O'l Blue (Mine)
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280
Previous Rides: 2006 VTX 1300R, 1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, Countless Dirt Bikes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 19th, 2012, 7:33 pm

I can only comment on the IMC Camos 200 system I have used. The speaker quality is very good, the noise reduction not so much. But the noise reduction is a function of the unit itself so all I can say is the mics worked fine and were clear. If I could find a way to integrate those speakers with my Starcom1 system I'd switch the speakers coz the IMCs are way better than the Starcom1s. Hope this helps.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 19th, 2012, 9:33 pm
JWA

Garage

I have been using them for a few years now, both on my J&M system on the K1200lt and on my Honda Type 2 intercom system. I am satisfied both of their sound quality and relative small earprint (?) or thickness that limits the pressure they put on your ears in your helmet.
The J&M uses the 6 pin Din connector you show in the picture but the Hondaline system uses a 5 pin connector. The sixth connector is for a second mike positionned outward on the flexible microphone holder that is meant to measure and suppress ambiant noise. There is a small dot on the inside our the mike that lets you know which side to speak in. Apple is bragging it has incorporated this 2 mike system in their IPhone 5 when motorcycle systems have had this for several years now.
The quick mid-connectors also have thick markers on them that allow you to line them up for commecting with the gloves on.
To use the them on either system, I have to swap the lower cord (6 Pin vs 5 Pin) and swap the mikes, wich is relatively easy.
I've tried several systems over the years and this is one of the best price/quality packages out there.

1999 K1200LT HL Basalt Grey/ Fleximum Sidecar
1983 Silverwing 650 leaner/1987 Velorex Sidecar
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 19th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Geoff....I have been using the IMC units for about 5 years. My experience is this: The microphones impedence values are such that you are able to key the vox on the intercom fairly easily with one headset plugged in, However when you are 2 up, the overall impedence changes, and it become somewhat of an ordeal to trip the vox on the intercom...we end up yelling a "woo hoo" or something loudly to trip the vox, then we can have a conversation...I don't think you would have the same problem with the J&M unit, I had them on my Goldwing, and they worked flawlessly. I went with the IMC, just because of cost. The other issue is the coil cords that you get with the headsets are just a little bit short, especially for the driver, I tried stretching them out, doesn't work, I took a peice of coat hanger wire, and stretched out the wire, and electrical taped it to the cord, to keep it straight...not pretty, but helps a lot. Lastly I think because of the short cord, the wires in the connectors near the helmet broke inside the rubber housing, and I have had to get new connectors from the electronics shop to rewire on to my cords..I have also replaced the speakers with some old J&M headset speakers as the fidelity with the IMCs was pretty bad...So there you have it, they work great if you want to yell to talk to your mate, and you replace the speakers, and you figure out how to make the coil cord longer, and you want to buy some cheap headsets. Other wise buy the J&Ms and be done with it!!!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2012, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the feedback. I'm going to give the IMC kit a try.

I tried finding a used BMW cord/speakers, but they seldom show up on eBay or forum classifieds.

2009 K1200LT
2002 Sportster XL1200 Custom
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2012, 8:39 pm

I am on my third IMC microphone and speaker kit. The first two both were returned with broken wires near the plug at the helmet. IMC replaced both under warranty.
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 21st, 2012, 10:59 am

Overall pretty satisfied, although I have had to fix broken wires too. (Our fault for pulling them by mistake). The Mic's are not as sensitive as BMW units, but I use the PTT button anyway.

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 8:53 am

Been using the IMC systems for several years, Bang for the buck, but you do get what you pay for. Have not used they with a bmw system, so i can understand the issue with a short cord pluging into the bmw system. My crew has been using the system with FRS/GMRS radios for bike to bike in groups up to six riders so fars. The cost is the largest factor and the ease of attaching or moving the system from bike to bike. The vox options is very difficult, the use of ptt is far better and less frustrating.

Another options for a BMW system for only an headset and cords might to Autocom. They have been back imported here for awhile now, F1 racing uses these systems so they must have improved them greatly from the last time around. Total systems are not cheap, $$$. Thats why the IMC is nice to try

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in