K1200 Missing PTT connector - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

K1200 Missing PTT connector

I was going to add a PTT switch to my 2009 K1200. Supposedly, there are some connectors taped underneath the left handlebar cover - the installation manual for the PTT switch even says this. However, when I got in there, found nothing. So, I took off a ton of tupperware and still found nothing. However, looking at the connectors on the back of the Voice II, I see this little blue connector, with nothing connected to it.

Since it is two pins, and unconnected, I am guessing the PTT connector cable should go here. Can anyone confirm? Anyone know the part number?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 11th, 2012, 11:20 am

Garage
Re: K1200 Missing PTT connector

PTT connection is normally under the left (as you sit on the bike) bar cover. Two screws under the bars to remove the upper piece.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64531

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

Last edited by shoswell; Nov 11th, 2012 at 11:25 am.
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 11th, 2012, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoswell
PTT connection is normally under the left (as you sit on the bike) bar cover. Two screws under the bars to remove the upper piece.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64531
Yeah, I saw the pictures of the PTT switch connectors. But mine definitely doesn't have those. I opened up everything, including removing the center console. No PTT connectors on the left handlebar, nor anywhere else.

I'm trying to hook up an amateur radio, so it isn't that big of a deal. I will probably just end up wiring from the PTT switch on the handlebar to the radio itself. But it would have been nice to keep the functionality to use the FRS radio as well. However, I can't seem to find a PTT connector anywhere.

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 12th, 2012, 12:12 am Thread Starter

Actually, now I am not sure if my approach will work, based on reading the manual. I'm wondering if the PTT switch is required in order to enable the microphone? Does anyone know?

In any case, I found a diagram that shows which cable I am missing. I am going to try wiring to this directly (bypassing the connector) as a PTT and will see what happens.

post #5 of 5 Old Nov 14th, 2012, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

To follow up on my own post, that was the connector. The PTT seems to be working fine now. It looks like my BMW didn't have the connector for the PTT routed to the left handlebar like it was supposed to. Severe PIA.

I implemented this wiring for a Kenwood Amateur Radio: http://www.bmwlt.com/files/albums/us...-D700A_VII.pdf

It works great! Many thanks to Bob Weir for providing it. I don't think I could have ever figured this out myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in