Help with Sena SMH10 and 2012 RT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 8:02 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal, California, USA
Posts: 27
Help with Sena SMH10 and 2012 RT

Love my new RT with the Radio pack. I am not sure I paired things correctly because I get weird feed back loop distortion when I try and speak with my wife on her intercom. We both have iphon 4s. I am guessing I am paring something incorrectly. I just paired my Sena to the bike as "rider 1" (I didn't try and pair my wife's Sena as Rider 2 'cause I know that will only work with BMW BT system). Should I BT pair my iphone to the Bike's system via BT or just plug the iphone into the iphone connector in the right glove box? I have the BMW connector. That way I would not have a BT connection at all with my iphone? Right now I do have such a connection. Maybe that is what is causing me to have crappy feedback and sound with the intercom.

Anyway, for all of you Sena, iphone, BMW radio users out there, is there a correct way to set things up.

I also noted that the Sena software/firmware update menu has a setting specific to the BMR 1600. Does this have any applicability with the RT BT system. Seems like they would be the same. Thanks. Dean
Dasadab is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 9:08 pm
Senior Member
 
Bighopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 682
Re: Help with Sena SMH10 and 2012 RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasadab
Love my new RT with the Radio pack. I am not sure I paired things correctly because I get weird feed back loop distortion when I try and speak with my wife on her intercom. We both have iphon 4s. I am guessing I am paring something incorrectly. I just paired my Sena to the bike as "rider 1" (I didn't try and pair my wife's Sena as Rider 2 'cause I know that will only work with BMW BT system). Should I BT pair my iphone to the Bike's system via BT or just plug the iphone into the iphone connector in the right glove box? I have the BMW connector. That way I would not have a BT connection at all with my iphone? Right now I do have such a connection. Maybe that is what is causing me to have crappy feedback and sound with the intercom.

Anyway, for all of you Sena, iphone, BMW radio users out there, is there a correct way to set things up.
Try this link & see the last post, I think you are out of luck http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...&Number=665735
Bluetooth is very mfg specific, I recently just got a Sena SM10 that will pair up with another mfg headset (Scala G4) as it is Bluetooth 2.1 (I think) but it requires an input from an Audio device & also has an AUX input (Radar, GPS) The SM10 then transmits those inputs too 2 separate headsets.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasadab
I also noted that the Sena software/firmware update menu has a setting specific to the BMR 1600. Does this have any applicability with the RT BT system. Seems like they would be the same. Thanks. Dean
Did you try the BMW K1600 specific setting? & did it make any difference?

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.





Bighopper is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 9:27 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal, California, USA
Posts: 27
Re: Help with Sena SMH10 and 2012 RT

Thanks. But, never mind. I have a defective unit. I swapped out my unit for my wife's and her's works great. My unit, regardless of helmet, gives weird buzzy feedback when talking on intercom. I even installed a prior firmware, still no joy. Bad unit.
Dasadab is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 11:54 pm
Cat Herder
 
tvguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Posts: 1,352
Garage
Re: Help with Sena SMH10 and 2012 RT

BMW has an update for the firmware on your bike and there is another one coming out shortly. You will need the new 4.1 SENA upgrade and follow the instructions for the BMW. Do you have a GPS? I would not pair the iPhone to the bike. Pair it to the GPS and the SENA to the GPS and the bike.

A friend of mine with SENA headsets and a '12 RT has an issue where his phone will not stay paired to anything... we tried different GPS units and different phones... Hopefully the new firmware update what will be out soon will fix the problem.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
tvguy is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 11th, 2012, 10:47 am Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal, California, USA
Posts: 27
Re: Help with Sena SMH10 and 2012 RT

Thanks for the useful information.
Dasadab is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 1st, 2012, 1:36 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal, California, USA
Posts: 27
Re: Help with Sena SMH10 and 2012 RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
BMW has an update for the firmware on your bike and there is another one coming out shortly. You will need the new 4.1 SENA upgrade and follow the instructions for the BMW. Do you have a GPS? I would not pair the iPhone to the bike. Pair it to the GPS and the SENA to the GPS and the bike.

A friend of mine with SENA headsets and a '12 RT has an issue where his phone will not stay paired to anything... we tried different GPS units and different phones... Hopefully the new firmware update what will be out soon will fix the problem.
I have the BMW Navigator IV, which came with the new bike as a free promotion. I spent most of the weekend trying to get the Sena (with the latest firmware), the GPS, the Bike's Factory Radio, and my iPhone to work.

I am really hoping that someone with a Sena, the GPS, the BMW radio, and an iPhone has figured it all out.

Thanks!
Dasadab is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 7th, 2012, 4:36 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal, California, USA
Posts: 27
Re: Help with Sena SMH10 and 2012 RT

Having played with various configurations with the Sena SMH10, the BMW audio system, the BMW Navigator IV GPS, and my iPhone, I give up. I CAN get the Sena to pair with the BMW audio system (but it's unstable), I CAN get the iPhone to pair with the GPS (but the person I call only hears distorted garbled words, although I can hear them perfectly), I CAN listen to music from the BMW audio system through the Sena SMH10 bluetooth in my helmet, but the sound quality on FM or Sat Radio is garbage.

Folks with 1600 series BMW's seem to have better luck, but I have been told that the radio systems are not identical.

Basically, for driver to passenger, the Sena works great. It works great if paired directly to the iPhone for answering calls. At this point I am going to explore bypassing the BMW audio system Bluetooth connection and look into hooking up a BT dongle directly to the rear speaker wires.

Anybody to the dongle connectly on an RT recently? Pointers and caveats appreciated.
Thanks.
Dasadab is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 7th, 2012, 9:15 pm Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SoCal, California, USA
Posts: 27
Re: Help with Sena SMH10 and 2012 RT

Posting reply to my reply to my reply is probably an early sign of dementia. I thought I could just save some poor soul the trouble of further grief having read further some key threads.

This thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=dongle

Post 68 is the answer.
Dasadab is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome