Found some good helmet speakers. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 30th, 2012, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Found some good helmet speakers.

I have an Autocom system, and the speakers that came with it are awful. No bass, and low volume; sounded like a mid 60's era transistor radio. They sucked so bad that I went with ear buds for about two years.

I finally got tired of having to deal with the ear buds (longing for the days when I simply put the helmet on), and searched for a solution, other than starting from scratch with a whole new comm system.

I found these speakers, and the sound is great! They come with a standard audio jack, and volume control, but I simply spliced them into my Autocom Helmet Harness.

Couple of pointers:
* Splicing those tiny wires requires patience. The wiring itself is about the width of a human hair!
* When installing into helmet, don't just put the speakers into the speaker well (I have a C3). Properly align them with your ears (experiment with location) prior to velcroing them into place. A mm or two in any direction makes a huge difference.

Cost was $79.95 plus shipping.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 18th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Garage
Re: Found some good helmet speakers.

I bought a pair of the Iasus Xsound2 speakers from the same company. Great speakers for my Shoei Multitech. I tried them in my Shoei RF1000, but they were too thick so I used my old set of HS92's.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone
post #3 of 9 Old May 7th, 2013, 7:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sena SMH10-11 working perfect in my Nolan N103 with the RT audio system. . I read that the sound would not be great with the sena helmet speakers but thought I would give it a go anyway. Correct, the sound it not great. From reading this thread, the Tork speakers seem good. Are there many others using these speakers? I don't want to use ear buds although I know they will give you the best sound.
Thanks,

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)

post #4 of 9 Old May 15th, 2013, 5:07 pm

I have the TorxPro and like them but i have them wired directly to the rear speaker plug. I dont know how they would sound with a comm system. These speakers are slightly larger than the Sena, Cardo, Uclear speakers. I have concern that the comm systems dont have the power to get good sound from the TorxPros. I would love to hear the answer to this comparison. I'm ultimately wanting to go route of Sena or Cardo but frankly if the sound is weaker than direct connection to bike audio then its not worth time/expense.

I have listened to TorxPros directly from Iphone but not while riding. Road and wind noise has a way of degrading the sound quality real fast.

Larry
post #5 of 9 Old May 16th, 2013, 8:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRT
I have the TorxPro and like them but i have them wired directly to the rear speaker plug. I dont know how they would sound with a comm system. These speakers are slightly larger than the Sena, Cardo, Uclear speakers. I have concern that the comm systems dont have the power to get good sound from the TorxPros. I would love to hear the answer to this comparison. I'm ultimately wanting to go route of Sena or Cardo but frankly if the sound is weaker than direct connection to bike audio then its not worth time/expense.

I have listened to TorxPros directly from Iphone but not while riding. Road and wind noise has a way of degrading the sound quality real fast.

Larry
There is a test on Webbikeworld that should answer your question about the TorxPro speakers.

My question to you is whether you had to make a cutout in the foam of your helmet to fit the speakers in? It is larger in diameter and thicker than any of the comm system speakers, and even if your helmet have cavities for speakers, they are usually too small for the Torx!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #6 of 9 Old May 16th, 2013, 10:44 am Thread Starter

I have the Schuberth C3 helmet, which has plenty of room for the speakers. They tuck nicely into the cutouts behind the liners. They KEY is to get the speakers aligned correctly. They have to be perfectly centered on your ear, so experiment - a bit of a hassle initially, but worth the effort. I found it easiest to put the helmet on, then put a small tab of painters tape on the outside of the helmet opposite of where my eardrum is. This helped to get the initial placement very close (much better than just guessing where your ear center is while working inside the helmet).....

The sound quality inside the C3 is outstanding; it is a very quiet helmet. Your results may vary!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #7 of 9 Old May 16th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Pad, I did not have to modify the helmet at all. In fact the Shoei 1100 recess is almost too large. Had i cut out the foam so speakers could be full recessed into pocket i think they would have been too far away from ear to be effective. Others may disagree but i like having the void behind the speaker. Not being an expert on speaker design, i do know that if the pocket is air tight you lose some of the bass potential. Brian is correct that some experimentation is needed to get the best placement relative to your ears. Helmet speaker recesses arent necessarily in the perfect possition for every ear. I was able to position the speakers behind the foam cheek pad edge, over the stryofaom shell speaker recess, and shifted around slightly to the optimum ear position. Its very much like have a good fitting pair of headphones on. The only think that would make my set up better would be to further reduce wind noise but the trade of would be heat. Its all a compromise. I'll check out the TorxPro review with comm systems.

Larry
post #8 of 9 Old May 17th, 2013, 10:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinRT
Pad, I did not have to modify the helmet at all. In fact the Shoei 1100 recess is almost too large. Had i cut out the foam so speakers could be full recessed into pocket i think they would have been too far away from ear to be effective. Others may disagree but i like having the void behind the speaker. Not being an expert on speaker design, i do know that if the pocket is air tight you lose some of the bass potential. Brian is correct that some experimentation is needed to get the best placement relative to your ears. Helmet speaker recesses arent necessarily in the perfect possition for every ear. I was able to position the speakers behind the foam cheek pad edge, over the stryofaom shell speaker recess, and shifted around slightly to the optimum ear position. Its very much like have a good fitting pair of headphones on. The only think that would make my set up better would be to further reduce wind noise but the trade of would be heat. Its all a compromise. I'll check out the TorxPro review with comm systems.

Larry
Thanks Larry, and Brian, for your inputs! I am using a Nolan helmet right now, and the pockets are too small for even the speakers that came with my SENA SMH10. I do agree with the air pocket behind the speakers to improve the bass. Better still if there is a hard surface to bounce the sound back! I have been thinking about the Shoei GT Air, since I like the review that I have read. So, it's good to know that Shoei helmets have large speaker pockets.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #9 of 9 Old May 20th, 2013, 8:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Before changing my sena speakers, the sena tech support said to try Bluetooth directly to my iphone as there has been issues with BMW audio system and sound quality. Bingo, my sound it now great (at least I think so).
I know I can add a sena smh dongle to the rear speaker line and then my sound is suppose to be better with the BMW audio system but I am happy to not bother with the audio system. I just want music and I now have it. Sena tech support were great to deal with.

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in