Sena SHM10/Schuberth C3 install - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 28th, 2012, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Sena SHM10/Schuberth C3 install

The Sena SMH10 went on my HJC helmet ok, but the schuberth c3 install is challenging because the sun visor slider is right where the Sena should go, so the mic can't reach where it should and it also makes the sun visor slider tough to operate. anyone have tips/pics on this install? also tough routing the wires around the lip of the helmet and getting the unit's clamp slid between the liner and shell!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 28th, 2012, 3:21 pm

Re: Sena SHM10/Schuberth C3 install

Don't they have a unit that you can attach anywhere on the helmet (Sticky) With leads on the mic and headphones that are longer ?

Looky here...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old May 16th, 2012, 4:52 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver4242
Anyone have tips/pics on this install? also tough routing the wires around the lip of the helmet and getting the unit's clamp slid between the liner and shell!
You need to purchase the SMH-A0302 clamp kit. When you install the speakers, remove the cheek pad on the left side and route the wire under it. Run the wire for the right side inside the helmet under the lining and use the right cheek pad to hide some of the wiring.

2009 K1300 GT
2005 R1200 RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
2008 Honda CBR1000 RR - gone

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2013, 3:49 pm

Does the Clamp kit require adhesive to secure the unit, or does the clamp itself hold the unit and then the longer mic cord allows you to move the clamp further towards the back of the helmet and not in the chin closure way.
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2013, 5:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpalm
Does the Clamp kit require adhesive to secure the unit, or does the clamp itself hold the unit and then the longer mic cord allows you to move the clamp further towards the back of the helmet and not in the chin closure way.
I used the adhesive mount and not the clamp for our helmets. I also used a prep/primer that I bought at an auto refinishing store made by 3M. I used an alcohol swab to clean the side of the helmet. I then located where I wanted the Sena unit to sit behind the visor slide bar and traced the outline of the adhesive mounting bracket in pencil. I applied the primer as per instructions that came with the primer (you can google it download the instructions from 3M also). Next peal the adhesive tape cover and firmly squeeze/hold the mounting plate onto the side of the helmet for about one minute. Within ten minutes it is firmly bonded to the side of the helmet and will not come off (a common complaint of some users on other forums).

Using the adhesive mounting plate is essential for the Schuberth helmet and especially the new Pro version with the integrated antenna for the Schuberth BT collar. The bottom of the helmet is not thin enough for the metal clamp to fit properly. YMMV

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #6 of 9 Old Apr 27th, 2013, 10:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieA
I used the adhesive mount and not the clamp for our helmets. I also used a prep/primer that I bought at an auto refinishing store made by 3M. I used an alcohol swab to clean the side of the helmet. I then located where I wanted the Sena unit to sit behind the visor slide bar and traced the outline of the adhesive mounting bracket in pencil. I applied the primer as per instructions that came with the primer (you can google it download the instructions from 3M also). Next peal the adhesive tape cover and firmly squeeze/hold the mounting plate onto the side of the helmet for about one minute. Within ten minutes it is firmly bonded to the side of the helmet and will not come off (a common complaint of some users on other forums).

Using the adhesive mounting plate is essential for the Schuberth helmet and especially the new Pro version with the integrated antenna for the Schuberth BT collar. The bottom of the helmet is not thin enough for the metal clamp to fit properly. YMMV
+1 that's what I did for my C3 while Kathy's Nolan just took the standard Sena setup.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 9 Old May 5th, 2016, 7:03 pm

Thank you.
I do not quite get the velcro speaker components. The velcro with the tape on the back does not stick to the back of the speaker.
post #8 of 9 Old May 5th, 2016, 7:50 pm

Never mind. I found the piece I needed. there are a lot of little bags with stuff for fastening.
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 4:49 pm

Since I had to use adhesive to hold the clamp kit, how do I remove it if I want to upgrade from the SMH10 to the SMH20 without damaging the helmet?
Has anyone done this?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in