Cell Phone Hookup - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Apr 20th, 2012, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Cell Phone Hookup

haven't found quit what I need so need some real world help. I have an ailing mom and need to be able to use my Iphone while riding (answer calls and talk). I'm not interested in music or anything fancy but two things are important - comfort and good sound hearing and talking. I have a regular helmet without anything built into it. I'm looking for something that meets my needs without spending an arm and a leg - up $200 if that is what it takes. Can anyone help me out. thanks.

PS: I might add that I tried ear buds and find them very uncomfortable, need something better.

Last edited by splais; Apr 20th, 2012 at 11:26 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Apr 20th, 2012, 11:29 am

Re: Cell Phone Hookup

Quote:
Originally Posted by splais
haven't found quit what I need so need some real world help. I have an ailing mom and need to be able to use my Iphone while riding (answer calls and talk). I'm not interested in music or anything fancy but two things are important - comfort and good sound hearing and talking. I have a regular helmet without anything built into it. I'm looking for something that meets my needs without spending an arm and a leg - up $200 if that is what it takes. Can anyone help me out. thanks.

PS: I might add that I tried ear buds and find them very uncomfortable, need something better.
Scala Rider Bluetooth will solve all your problems 100%

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Apr 20th, 2012, 12:06 pm Thread Starter

looks like they have two items I can afford, the V2 and Q2. the company has no phone contact info on their website. does anyone know the difference between these two units.

post #4 of 20 Old Apr 20th, 2012, 12:59 pm

Found something on their website.
http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-ri...-g9#comparison

1996 Kinetic Pride 75cc - First motorized cycle at age 16.
2002 Yamaha Enticer 125cc - First brand new cycle bought from the first salary at age 20.
1984 Honda Shadow 1100cc
1999 BMW K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old Apr 20th, 2012, 1:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You could also look at SENA SMH10. http://senabluetooth.com/ I have SENA like it, some have scala. Web site WEBBIKEWORLD.COM did a review of three or four makers, take a read for yourself and pick the one you like.

Google is also you friend, bluetooth motorcycle headset.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #6 of 20 Old Apr 20th, 2012, 3:51 pm

FWIW, I just connect my iPhone via bluetooth to NAV III. There are two drawbacks.

1. If the phone is IOS5, you have to tell it how dumb the NAV III is by going into Settings > General > Bluetooth then BMW Navigator and turn Sync Contacts off. Otherwise, it will bind, connect then drop when it tries to send data to a dumb old box.

2. iPhone (IOS 5, 5.01, 5.1) does not have an auto answer. Cydia has one you can download if you jail break your phone and void the warranty. All I can say is that Steve Jobs did not ride.

The only think I can suggest is to find a mount for the iPhone where you can press the answer button.

From the NAV III, calls go into the K1200 intercom system. My wife and I both get to hear and talk from our NoLan N103 helmets with Bluetooth. The NAV III will display the call information and alert you if you do not hear the ring.

It works well, except for the lack of an auto-answer when in hands-free mode, which by design, they never are.

I love that when I am near but not in my Enclave and my Mustang with a Motorola t325. With my old Droid, whenever I was within range of bluetooth, it would give the call up to the car, which meant I would be talking to myself outside the car. The iPhone brings up a choice menu of as many options as it has connected too. It is normally nice to have choices, but on at 75 MPH on a bike.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #7 of 20 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by splais
looks like they have two items I can afford, the V2 and Q2. the company has no phone contact info on their website. does anyone know the difference between these two units.
Phone number etc available at http://www.cardosystems.com/about-us/contact-us
I've been using the TeamSet Pro for two yeras now. Very effective for communication with SO and with phone/GPS. Luckily, I don't need any of the functions accessed by the buttons on the units, as they are completely unusable when riding!
The install to the helmet is very clever, and does no damage, Very important to experiment with speaker location in helmet. Even an inch astray and volume plumets!
I also use a Garmin Zumo GPS. iPhone, Garmin and Cardo all work cleverly together - provided you pair them correctly!

Greetings from Ireland!

post #8 of 20 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

HERE YA GO

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 20 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 2:32 pm

Looked at the Scala links provided, and have a couple of remaining questions not addressed by the sites.

1) What kind of battery life is "typical" when streaming music, GPS and using as intercom? I sometimes ride 14-16 hours in a day and do not want to lose these feeds when battery pukes.

2) Is battery replaceable en route (after stopping, of course)? Same reason as #1, above. I could take along extra batteries and a charger, making sure I can charge an extra one or two per unit to get through the whole day.

3) Are the batteries standard sizes (AA, AAA, AAAA, or similar) that I could also use disposable piles if not wanting to dink around with recharging?

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know three questions is not a couple. So what?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 20 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 3:38 pm

We have the Sena 10 and it works well and can be used a looong time on battery and then can be tethered to a cigarette lighter socket charger and used on the go, charging. Pretty nice units.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #11 of 20 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Thanks, Larry. Do you get alternator hum or other electrical interference if you use whilst charging?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #12 of 20 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 4:15 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Tony, I've used my Scale for over 16 hours on one charge with music playing the whole time. The batteries are not replaceable but can be charged over night. My Scala G4 can NOT be used while charging but with over 16 hours play time there is no need to charge while riding. I did not like the stock speakers so I removed them & wired in a 3.5 mm female plug & plug my ear buds in.

Stevie Shreeve
post #13 of 20 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Try IMCmoto.com they have helmet systems that should be able to hook to your phone, very resonable, maybe under $100

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #14 of 20 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 4:37 pm

Tony, I haven't ridden with them long enough to have to plug them in. I was just saying they have that capablility. I can say they have good fidelity and sound level. I bought them after reading the webbike review and haven't been disappointed, yet. I also got a discount by joining the advriders group buy. [free to join...have joined too many biker sights, but....]

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #15 of 20 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 6:56 pm

splais,
imcmoto.com HS530, $70. will install into your helmet, two speakers and a boom mike, 3.5 plug into your iphone, it's designed just for this, exactly what you asked for, nothing about music or nav or anything else, only what you asked for!

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #16 of 20 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 7:44 pm

Please PM me. I have an older Cardo system I will loan you while you deal with your mother's illness.

I will need it back.

I work on the BMWLT Honor System.

Bill
post #17 of 20 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 9:20 pm

Steve Jobs did ride, and a BMW at that...

http://www.edibleapple.com/2010/03/1...mw-motorcycle/

Scala Rider G2/4 Bluetooth has auto answer and works like a dream. I use the G4 flawlessly for my iPhone connectivity, will even work with Siri.

Oh, and iTunes when I want it.

2012 K1600GT

Last edited by david_yancey; Apr 24th, 2012 at 9:22 pm. Reason: Updated...
post #18 of 20 Old Apr 24th, 2012, 9:32 pm
Sit

Easy answer. Sena. You can get the SMH10 or the new and cheaper model the SMH5. Both blue tooth to your phone so it can stay safely in your pocket with no cords hanging out etc. Most of the time when I talk with my wife while on the bike she can not tell I am riding, thinks I am still at work etc. Controls are very simple and very easy to use with gloves on. Sena is the best in my opinion.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #19 of 20 Old Apr 25th, 2012, 2:22 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Looked at the Scala links provided, and have a couple of remaining questions not addressed by the sites.

1) What kind of battery life is "typical" when streaming music, GPS and using as intercom? I sometimes ride 14-16 hours in a day and do not want to lose these feeds when battery pukes.
Answer - Scala Rider lasts about 7-13 hours depending on the model (from their Website). Sena 8-12 hours depending on the model (from their website. From personal experience recently I rode with the Sena streaming music / intercom active for about 12 hours, and it was still transmitting at the end.

2) Is battery replaceable en route (after stopping, of course)? Same reason as #1, above. I could take along extra batteries and a charger, making sure I can charge an extra one or two per unit to get through the whole day.

Answer - ScalaRider & Sena No batteries are sealed. However Sena has the ability to recharge on the go, ScalaRider does not.

3) Are the batteries standard sizes (AA, AAA, AAAA, or similar) that I could also use disposable piles if not wanting to dink around with recharging?
Answer - N/A see point 2

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know three questions is not a couple. So what?
I know some people are happy with the ScalaRider, I had the G4 and every time I went out I had problems with it. I currently have the Sena SMH10, and while there is an issue with the Mobile phone I am reasonably happy with it.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #20 of 20 Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_yancey
Steve Jobs did ride, and a BMW at that...

Scala Rider G2/4 Bluetooth has auto answer and works like a dream. I use the G4 flawlessly for my iPhone connectivity, will even work with Siri.

Oh, and iTunes when I want it.
Since I'm just about to give up on the wired solution I was hoping for, you might have just sold me on the Scala. The reviews were better for the other system but I'll do more with the phone than anything else...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in