Can Nolan talk to Schuberth? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Can Nolan talk to Schuberth?

Can a Nolan N104 with bluetooth intercom set up be paired with a Schuberth C3 that has the bluetooth SRCS set up?

When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
Colonel. Theodore Roosevelt

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 15th, 2012, 7:33 pm

Re: Can Nolan talk to Schuberth?

I do not believe that the Nolan Bluetooth set does bike to bike communication.. I believe they are set up only to talk to a passenger with a Nolan NCOM identical setup. This could have changed since the last time I did some research..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #3 of 8 Old May 14th, 2012, 11:54 am

Garage

The NEW Nolan B4 bluetooth system will talk to four bikes. Now if they all have to be the Nolan system I'm not sure. Shouldn't bluetooth talk to bluetooth ?? Or is each company broadcasting on different freqs ?

Bill Reitz
Surf City, USA
'06 Storm Gray Metallic LT

post #4 of 8 Old May 14th, 2012, 12:39 pm

You would think. But you can't make money that way.
It has I think something to do with the Bluetooth stack & it implementation by each vendor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr
The NEW Nolan B4 bluetooth system will talk to four bikes. Now if they all have to be the Nolan system I'm not sure. Shouldn't bluetooth talk to bluetooth ?? Or is each company broadcasting on different freqs ?

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old May 15th, 2012, 9:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperjon
Can a Nolan N104 with bluetooth intercom set up be paired with a Schuberth C3 that has the bluetooth SRCS set up?
Short answer = no. Nolan talks to Nolan, Schuberth to Schuberth, etc. Apparently it's too much for us to ask for all Bluetooth to be compatible.

Jamie

2012 K1600 GTL (Metallic Silver)
2010 K1300 GT (Blue) Her's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 Old Nov 4th, 2012, 9:16 pm

Should have done more research. Thanks for the info, been waffling for last 6 months on helmet and BT, bike to bike communication. I'll probably end up with a new helmet and install my old autocom for awhile. BT would surely be more convenient, just didn't want to get locked into one brand.
Appreciate any suggestions.
As you can see by my farkel list, kept The LT simple.

Thanks
post #7 of 8 Old Nov 10th, 2012, 7:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper1612000
Should have done more research. Thanks for the info, been waffling for last 6 months on helmet and BT, bike to bike communication. I'll probably end up with a new helmet and install my old autocom for awhile. BT would surely be more convenient, just didn't want to get locked into one brand.
Appreciate any suggestions.
As you can see by my farkel list, kept The LT simple.

Thanks
I farted with at least two different bluetooth dongles in September, trying to get one of them to pair to my Schuberth SRC and to my BMW Motorad helmet w/ built-in bluetooth, and not only did that not work, but the Schuberth SRC will not pair up to the BMW helmet.
WTF? Want to add salt to the wound? Schuberth and BMW have some kind of business relationship. here's what I found online:
"BMW Motorrad USA recommends the Schuberth C3 as the helmet of choice for riders of the BMW K 1600 GT/L equipped with the BMW Audio".
Sounds as if anyone with a BMW Motorad helmet wanting to buy a K1600GTL will have to buy a new helmet as well.

From what I remember, it's not a matter of different frequency ranges, but the particular methodology? used for each bluetooth device. There's no industry standard for bluetooth devices. I somewhat equate it to the old VHS and Beta VCRs. both did the same function and had same generic name, yet they were incompatible w/ each other.

BTW, someone mentioned these different comm systems being able to talk to each other, i.e. bike to bike, and that's how these manufacturers advertise their products, but they usually leave out the fact it has to be the same brand/model. Typical buyer learns this only after they buy one and reads the manuals, where it points out the limitations/disclaimers. Sounds like deceptive advertising to me.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #8 of 8 Old Nov 11th, 2012, 3:16 pm

I've been trying to find a good 2 way radio set up, not CB. Since I have a Sena 10 headphone I've been doing a lot of searching for a bluetooh 2 way radio or a 2 way radio interface.

I've found the most useful info here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/

The good news is ther is a way to get a 2 way radio into bluetooth. The bad news, other than the cost is that I haven't found a VOX set up. Fortunately one of the interfaces at least has a wireless PTT switch. Unfortunately (I feel like I'm in an old Abott and Costello routine?) there isn't a way to do software updates to the interface?

Initially I thought BT was BT, there was an industry standard--what a mess!!

I have seen an add from a company selling BT headsets where you can buy a headset, or the BT module, and it acts as a relay, or repeter, picking up signals from this company's BT modules and rebroadcasting them.

If that works, then communication can be maintained within a group.

I did run across mention that Midland might be selling a 2 way radio in Europe with BT built in?

Course, start looking at 2 way radios and there are at least 3 different legal radio types to choose from, FRS, GMRS, MURS. I do not consider CB to be reliable because of "Skip" and congestion. If I remember correctly one needs a GMRS license, $50 annual fee?

Since the entry level tests for Ham Radio were radically changed many years ago, I think the most reliable 2 way bike to bike communications is VHF, 2 meters.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in