FRS radio advice needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 12th, 2012, 9:56 am Thread Starter

FRS radio advice needed

I have an Autocom SP-A and want to add an inexpensive FRS radio for the rare occasions I ride with a group. This radio will get very little use, hence the inexpensive designation. What are the minimum requirements for the radio to have to be compatible with bike use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 12th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Garage
Re: FRS radio advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartin108
I have an Autocom SP-A and want to add an inexpensive FRS radio for the rare occasions I ride with a group. This radio will get very little use, hence the inexpensive designation. What are the minimum requirements for the radio to have to be compatible with bike use?
First question you have to ask is what frequencies/radio does the group you want to use it with use?

Most do not cross reference the same frequencies. I.e. Motorola and I-com do not "talk" to each other.

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 12th, 2012, 4:17 pm

I have an older Autocomm ProSport unit mounted on my 2001 LT. I've used the AutoComm adapters to plug into the system using a Kenwood FRS. These are excellent radio's but no longer made. Everyone else in my riding group has aquired Motorola FRS' with 22-33 mile advertised ranges. The usage is really line of sight, they will work further with prefect conditions. For riding they work wonderful, and are very afforable, $50 a pair on Amazon, rechargeable and will last all day depending on if ur a chatty cathy.

Couple up with a helmet unit from IMCmoto (based in Costa Mesa, Ca), unit for two-way radios ($65) this kit includes a PTT and required adapters and boom mike. for around $125 you have a system that works very well for line of sight bike to bike comms

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CMTO 8 yrs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 12th, 2012, 4:18 pm

Channelization may be different between the radios, but the frequencies are regulated by the FCC and are set regardless of what brand radio you choose. As an example Kenwood channel 7 may be I-Com channel 21 but the frequencies are the same. There are only 16 UHF freqs for GMRS (8 for simplex/repeater outputs and 8 for repeater inputs) and 14 UHF freqs for FRS simplex operation. Many radios actually combine GMRS and FRS capabilities together giving you a longer list of channels on the dial. In these radios the GMRS and FRS freqs can be alternated on the dial because the freqs fall between one another. They can also be listed 1-14 for FRS and 15-22 for GMRS. Try a search on this forum for an Excel spreadsheet that will pair the channels for various brand radios. Failing that, you may have to search the internet for a comparison sheet but they're out there and the radios all talk to one another.

Both are great radios for communicating with groups. FRS is open to anyone, but GMRS is slightly more regulated in that an FCC license is required and there are some rules to follow when using. It's a simple process and a small fee to the FCC.

As far as what is required, you simply need a radio with mic/speaker jacks and the correct cable to connect your chosen radio to the Autocom along with a push to talk (PTT) switch connected to the same. The push to talk on the side of the radio could be used if needed eliminating the Autocom PTT, but now you've got to take your hands off the controls to activate which may cause some safety concerns.

As with most things, you get what you pay for. I've got a Kenwood TK 3101 that I've used for the last 9 years with no problems. It was expensive when I bought it, but it works like a champ.

Bill Edwards
Boerne, TX
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 12th, 2012, 4:28 pm

yeah, what Bill said! Find out what your fellow riders are using and buy that unit. The AutoComm PTT is about $75-100 dollars, it's mounting system is crap. A PTT bracket from BMW can be found, is simple to mount and provides a secure platform for a button which can be modified from the AutoComm PTT.

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 13th, 2012, 11:39 am

Garage

Your correct Bill.... More to my point, few carry one of these with them to get them to talk to each other... Then you have the sub channels too..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	34181  

Hoss
'Stupidity has a knack of getting its way.' --Albert Camus
'05- K1200LT - Gretchen
R.I.P. - '00- K1200LTE- "Barbara" - Retired at 168K 9/2011
MOA, IBA, EXR & RCB and TMI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in