K1600 GTL - CB Radio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

K1600 GTL - CB Radio

Hello Everyone.
This is my first post - but I have been reading and enjoying everyone else's for a few months now. Last summer I traded a Goldwing for an '09 K1200LT and loved the BMW way of doing things. Two weeks ago I traded again - and got me a K16...Man, am I in love! After 30 years riding everything under the sun - but mainly Hondas - I think this is the best bike EVER!!!.
QUESTION: What do you guys recommend as far as CB's? I have a Schuberth C3 with the BMW bluetooth comm system, and it works great with the bike's satellite + GPS. My dealer says the only option is the J&M set - but when I am all said and done with brackets, antenna's, labor etc - it will have cost me close to (or more than) $1K. Are there alternatives in the market? Portable? Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Phil
2012 K1600GTL
DFW Metroplex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 8:01 pm

Re: K1600 GTL - CB Radio

we don't use them thar ol fashon 8 track tapes and am radios.

Check out J&M

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=40

If you are looking for bike to bike check some of the alternatives. UHF GMRS or Bluetooth.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 7 Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 8:29 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
we don't use them thar ol fashon 8 track tapes and am radios.

Check out J&M

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=40

If you are looking for bike to bike check some of the alternatives. UHF GMRS or Bluetooth.

I was thinking the same thing.

While at the MOA rally, a gentleman was given the BMW Corporate Big Wig and earful for not offering a factory installed CB option. The poor rep tried to explain that CB technology is from the 70s, in the modern era there are better and more sophisticated alternatives.

I tried to help the rep. but it was clearly pointless.

I agree- Bluetooth is the way to go. UHF radio is a distant second. Why install old technology on a state of the art bike?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #4 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 11:08 am

Bike to Bike for a motorcycle that's not pre-wired for it can get a bit pricey, but as in many things, you pretty much get what you pay for. I'd recommend some research reading here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/ Lots of info there about the various systems available.

I think either the autocom or the starcom can be set up for portable CB - Ham - GMRS radio, but it can get even more expensive than the J&M. Lots of people have complained about communication results from CB radio on a motorcycle. Lots of potential interference issues, from injectors, ignition, and other unshielded noise sources. FM radio's, such as GMRS (or Bluetooth) tend to pretty much ignore such noise, although it can reduce the useable communication range.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 4th, 2012, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all for the feedback. While I agree that CB is old technology - most of my riding buddies use it for bike-to-bike communication and we often take long multi-day trips as a group. I have also seen many K12 with CB's (had one in my K12). The chatter frequently has to do with road conditions and safety, so I would like to at least be able to "hear" what's going on. I am actually thinking about buying a portable CB radio with a bluetooth interface which I can either pair to the bike's AUX channel or directly to my headset.

Phil
2012 K1600GTL
DFW Metroplex
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 31st, 2012, 8:09 pm

Corporate BMW is full of it that CB being old technology in CB's, They work as Goldwings have them and use them well. Now if you're a BMW groupie only meaning that you only ride with BMW's then that's fine. After having two K1200's with my first being a 2003 LT with J&M intercom it worked the best. The 2006 with the German intercom doesn't work well with the J&M/BMW CB and my thought on this is BWM failed. Yes one can talk the talk that it's old Technology but it works best when riding with the bikes that have them and last time I checked the number one touring bike in America is the Goldwing. Yes I have a problem with my CB that came from BMW. Some day when I get the time I will rework that interface and make it work.
So you're best shot is the J&M handlebar mount unit and you can jack it in to the AUX port and use a shorty antenna placed best on the bike where you'd like it.
If I had my way I'd tear out the piss poor German intercom and install the J&M version.
Oh just in case those of you out there that read this think I'm hard on German's, I'm first gen American, full blooded German and German's don't do piss poor work and if by chance they do they will make it right. I'm thinking at the time the american's had that feature added for American use only as it's not available in Germany.
Okay said my two cents worth.
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 18th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Hi I have also wanted a cb radio for places where there is no cell coverage.
It would be helpful to communicate with another motorist / truck driver.
Checkout the Midland 75-822 40 channel.It is a inexpensive solution.

In my opinion I would trade the satellite radio for a CB radio in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in