I'm confused - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 18th, 2011, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

I'm confused

Guys,
I'd like to go bluetooth and get a set for me and the wife, and another for the son-in-law and daughter.
I've honestly spent a lot of time on Sena and Scala's websites, but still don't seem to understand what exactly they'll do.
Do either of them use a hard wire for I-pod music with the capability of both me and the wife listening to the same music? Or do I have to convert my I-pod to bluetooth, then sync both sets to that?
I understand how the sync from rider to passenger works, and also the rider to rider. Do any of these work such that all 4 can talk at the same time? Or is it just rider to rider and passenger to passenger?
Can either or both units be set up so that just the passenger can make calls on her phone, and if so, does she trip the VOX for intercom when she talks?
Sorry if this is beating that dead horse too many times, I'm just confused.
Thanks,
Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 18th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Re: I'm confused

I have both a scala 4 and a scala 2 headset. I was able to communicate with my riding partner via the scala 4 and still communicate with my passenger via my older setup scala 2 at the same time. We could all hear each other. I hope this helps. Karl

I was using the scala 4 on my helmet, passenger wife using scala 2 and riding partner using scala 4.
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 6:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Frank,

The Sena can not play iPod music to two headsets at the same time. You can either hardware it to one or bluetooth it to one, not both. You can pair a phone to one and another phone to another , once again not to both at the same time. Sena can pair up two four headsets that can talk to one another one at a time. Sena has posted how two videos on their Web site.

I think I covered you questions, but if I missed anything ask away.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 11:39 am Thread Starter

Thanks John. I did watch videos on both sites.
I assume, then, that two units can not be paired to a single output? In other words, could mine and my wife's unit both be paired to the same music output (I-pod) so we could listen at the same time?
If not, how do you, or can you, both listen to the same music?
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 2:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Thanks John. I did watch videos on both sites.
I assume, then, that two units can not be paired to a single output?
Correct

Quote:
In other words, could mine and my wife's unit both be paired to the same music output (I-pod) so we could listen at the same time?
Frank,

SMH10 can only be paired to 2 devices + another headset (Phone, MP3 Player, Radar Detector). That being said with the Ipod connector Bluetooth transmitter in use for one headset & then use a 2.5mm jack (from top of Ipod) Bluetooth transmitter, maybe that would work? But I have never tried it with my SMH10's...but will bring them inside (it's -20C here at the moment) & let them warm up & give it a test to see if it will work.

Quote:
If not, how do you, or can you, both listen to the same music?
See above.

Ok, I have tested the set up you see in the attached picture. It works. Only problem is that the small Bluetooth device that plugs into the top with a 2.5mm jack will only transmit when not being charged. I haven't used it it over a year, but I think it only lasted about 7hrs before needing a charge.

So this solution might work for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0068-1.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	33597  

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bighopper; Nov 19th, 2011 at 3:16 pm.
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 11:51 pm

Sony, I believe, makes a bluetooth transmitter for iPods. It is meant to pair with their Bluetooth headphones. I have never tried it, but it might pair with other products.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 6:11 am

Quote:
Guys,
I'd like to go bluetooth and get a set for me and the wife, and another for the son-in-law and daughter.
I've honestly spent a lot of time on Sena and Scala's websites, but still don't seem to understand what exactly they'll do.
Do either of them use a hard wire for I-pod music with the capability of both me and the wife listening to the same music? Or do I have to convert my I-pod to bluetooth, then sync both sets to that?
I understand how the sync from rider to passenger works, and also the rider to rider. Do any of these work such that all 4 can talk at the same time? Or is it just rider to rider and passenger to passenger?
Can either or both units be set up so that just the passenger can make calls on her phone, and if so, does she trip the VOX for intercom when she talks?
Sorry if this is beating that dead horse too many times, I'm just confused.
Thanks,
Frank
Last year I looked into doing this and purchased the Scala from our local BMW dealer. I soon realized that you cannot have you and the passenger listen to the same music source. I contacted Scala and they confirmed that it couldn't be done. I ended up returning the Scala and contacted Sena and they also confirmed at that time that their unit couldn't do it either, however I think if I remember right that theirs could work with a cable between the rider and passenger. I thought to myself screw that, if I have to have a cable I might as well stay with what I got. We still have the Starcom Digital and it works great. My passenger and I listen to our Garmin 665 with the XM. I was recently on Starcom's website and they just recently came out with some bluetooth stuff that works in conjunction with the Starcom Digital. From what I understand you have the connectivity of the Starcom Digital and the wireless bluetooth functions. For us, at least for now were gonna stick with the wired stuff. We don't have to worry about the batteries running out before the day ends and it all works good.

Stephen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch
post #8 of 13 Old Nov 20th, 2011, 11:41 am Thread Starter

I guess what doesn't make sense to me is that you can't take one transmitted source, the I-pod, and ask two units to receive that one signal. How different would that be than having two FM radios, side by side, receiving the same station.
This all just gets frustrating.
Thanks for the info. That was what I was looking for.
post #9 of 13 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 4:43 pm

Quote:
I guess what doesn't make sense to me is that you can't take one transmitted source, the I-pod, and ask two units to receive that one signal.
Bluetooth isn't a simple transmission; it's a bidirectional protocol that was never written to support doing what you want. It's just not part of the BT technology.

I always wanted to be able to have the rider and passenger get different music, so this was an upgrade for me.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #10 of 13 Old Dec 5th, 2011, 4:46 pm Thread Starter

OK, that makes sense to me now. Thanks.
post #11 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2011, 12:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Frank,

After all that great advice you got I was looking at Webbikeworld today and they have started an evaluation on a NEW product that will stream the same music to both headsets. ( Not just music, but that was one of your requirements )

Take a look at this http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ikecomm-bk-02/ article.

Technology moves at the speed of ideas today.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #12 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2011, 12:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Frank,

After all that great advice you got I was looking at Webbikeworld today and they have started an evaluation on a NEW product that will stream the same music to both headsets. ( Not just music, but that was one of your requirements )

Take a look at this http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...ikecomm-bk-02/ article.

Technology moves at the speed of ideas today.
Before you get involved with the numerous bits and pieces that come with the BK-02 system, take a look at the soon-to-be-released Cardo Scala Rider G9, http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...cala-rider-g9/ It may suit your purpose.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #13 of 13 Old Dec 6th, 2011, 12:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Knife,

Read that one also, but since it was a future product though something that exists today might be usefull.

Sometimes if you wait for a future product you never get one because the next version will always be better.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in