Adding CB and GPS to K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Adding CB and GPS to K1200LT

Questions for you guys who have already been down this road...

I've done some searching/reading here and will be taking the plunge to put a CB and GPS on my '09 LT with the Voice II intercom. I'm having some work done on the LT and when I saw how far it was stripped down I thought it was "go time", so I asked my dealer to order and install the BMW (re-badged J&M) CB. The service technician said "yeh, the LT in tech school had a CB on it", which means he's seen this exactly once. Maybe.
Q1: Are there any tips or preemptive-type things I need to tell him about?

They will be installing the BMW CB on the left handlebar, and the antenna and bracket on the right side of the top case.
Going back to my CB days of the 70s:
Q2: Doesn't a CB antenna need to be hooked up to an SWR meter and then "tuned"? I'm assuming my local dealer will not be able to do that, and I will have to take this to a local CB shop (there are several in my area) to have this done.
Q3: Can this antenna tuning be done AFTER everything is all installed?
Q4: Does the CB go into the Voice II intercom?

Assuming we can figure out the factory GPS mount, I'm also having a Zumo 660 GPS put on the LT.
Q5: Does the GPS also go into the Voice II intercom? (and does the Voice II have sufficient inputs to handle this? I think the Voice II only has 1 aux port that is visible to the rider, and I have not seen the bottom/insides of the Voice II.) I am familiar with the Baehr intercom with its 4 inputs - I had it on the '05 LT I used to have.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hschisler; Nov 14th, 2011 at 8:24 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 9:23 pm

Re: Adding CB and GPS to K1200LT

I'll do the best I can here, Howard. I installed a CB on the 2000 I used to have, then moved it to the 2005. I do not have a BMW intercom system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

I've done some searching/reading here and will be taking the plunge to put a CB and GPS on my '09 LT with the Voice II intercom. I'm having some work done on the LT and when I saw how far it was stripped down I thought it was "go time", so I asked my dealer to order and install the BMW (re-badged J&M) CB. The service technician said "yeh, the LT in tech school had a CB on it", which means he's seen this exactly once. Maybe.
Q1: Are there any tips or preemptive-type things I need to tell him about? Not that I know of. Just tell them to be sure to hook everything back up. There are a lot of connections around the stingray.

They will be installing the BMW CB on the left handlebar, and the antenna and bracket on the right side of the top case.
Q2: Doesn't a CB antenna need to be hooked up to an SWR meter and then "tuned"? Yes, it does.
Q3: Can this antenna tuning be done AFTER everything is all installed? Yes, it can, just don't "try it once to see how it works". If the SWR is off the scale high, you can damage the transmitter.
Q4: Does the CB go into the Voice II intercom? I'm not sure how it connects, but you hear transmissions in your headset.

Assuming we can figure out the factory GPS mount, I'm also having a Zumo 660 GPS put on the LT.
Q5: Does the GPS also go into the Voice II intercom? (and does the Voice II have sufficient inputs to handle this? I've got no idea on this one. I know Jessie (JWB4207) has a CB and a BMW GPS routed to his system and into the headset, so it must connect some way. My 550 has earphone and microphone inputs and I can run the GPS to the CB and hear directions in my headset.
Hope this helps. Good luck with getting everything installed.

One word of caution about CBs. My 2005 generates more noise in the CB than the 2000 did. As a result, I have to turn the squelch up higher, so I don't receive as well as I used to. If I don't start the engine, I can turn the squelch back to a normal setting, but you can't get far with the engine off. Jessie had his CB installed by a dealer, Daytona BMW IIRC, and can't send or receive very far. On the way back from CCR Killington, he and I were riding together. We wondered how many miles on I-81 in WVA. Switched to channel 19 to ask. I got an answer right quick, but Jessie did not hear it. I'm sure he's checked the SWR (I used his meters to tune mine). As far as I know, he hasn't checked the output power, but that wouldn't affect the receive. Probably the antenna or the coax.

Lots of folks are going FRS/GMRS. I think that will work with the Voice system, but somebody else will have to chime in as to how.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #3 of 27 Old Nov 14th, 2011, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
... Hope this helps. Good luck with getting everything installed.

One word of caution about CBs. My 2005 generates more noise in the CB than the 2000 did. As a result, I have to turn the squelch up higher, so I don't receive as well as I used to. If I don't start the engine, I can turn the squelch back to a normal setting, but you can't get far with the engine off. Jessie had his CB installed by a dealer, Daytona BMW IIRC, and can't send or receive very far. On the way back from CCR Killington, he and I were riding together. We wondered how many miles on I-81 in WVA. Switched to channel 19 to ask. I got an answer right quick, but Jessie did not hear it. I'm sure he's checked the SWR (I used his meters to tune mine). As far as I know, he hasn't checked the output power, but that wouldn't affect the receive. Probably the antenna or the coax.

Lots of folks are going FRS/GMRS. I think that will work with the Voice system, but somebody else will have to chime in as to how.
Thanks, Lee.

I'm somewhat familiar with CB vs. FRS/GMRS, having used a CB "back in the day", and having used GMRSs in Scouting a few years ago. No comparison, really; we are going the CB route because my riding buddy can easily have a CB installed in his Gold Wing. I think if we could both install an FRS/GMRS solution we'd go that route, but we don't know what that would look like. (although the folks at Sierra Electronics did show us a new combo CB-FRS product last summer for the Gold Wing, and it was actually cheaper than Honda's CB.)

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

post #4 of 27 Old Nov 17th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Howard..
Sorry, long story, but I'm kinda out of the loop for a bit.. Let me give it a stab anyway...

A1: Make sure he picks up the power where the radio is fed. Also, consider having him install an isolator (you can get one from a CB store..(big truck stop)

Q2: Doesn't a CB antenna need to be hooked up to an SWR meter and then "tuned"? I'm assuming my local dealer will not be able to do that, and I will have to take this to a local
CB shop (there are several in my area) to have this done?
A2: see if you can 'borrow' an SWR meter and check it BEFORE reassembly of the bike. Also, make sure to ask the mechanic to test it 'outside'... doing it inside a metal building will give poor results. Ask your local CB resistor twister if he/she will go by the BMW shop to 'tune' the set. (see Q3 below)
A3: Adjusting SWR is done by trimming the antenna length... or adding to it to get as close to match the 'standing wave' length you are transmitting...there may be a built in 'trimmer' in the J&M.. or trimming the antenna (usually on a bench or handheld grinder)
A4: yes.. the 'speaker' output would go there... all wired using the 'harness' that BMW provides i would expect.

Q5: Does the GPS also go into the Voice II intercom? (and does the Voice II have sufficient inputs to handle this? I think the Voice II only has 1 aux port that is visible to the rider, and I have not seen the bottom/insides of the Voice II.) I am familiar with the Baehr intercom with its 4 inputs - I had it on the '05 LT I used to have.
A5: I think there are enough 'inputs' to the system to handle this. If not, you can 'wire' them together to feed both into one input... I'm pretty sure I've seen this done on the LT

Try to be there when the 'install' is done and ask to take pics... and try to document...

Good luck... but, prepare by asking the CB pro's how to minimize the noise and tune...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #5 of 27 Old Nov 18th, 2011, 5:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Q2: Doesn't a CB antenna need to be hooked up to an SWR meter and then "tuned"? I'm assuming my local dealer will not be able to do that, and I will have to take this to a local CB shop (there are several in my area) to have this done.

If you PM me with your email address, I will send you a Word doc (or pdf if you prefer) that describes in some detail the addition of a CB to my 07 with the VOICE II. Won't answer all of your questions, but many of them. My LT already had the GPS prep kit installed so installing my Nav III was a piece of cake.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 27 Old Nov 18th, 2011, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Channing and Matt.

PM sent to you, Matt.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 8:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Howard,
Another thought regarding tuning the antenna. When I installed the CB on my '07 LT, I just rode the bike to the local truck stop CB place, sans tupperware, had them tune it, then rode it home and put the tupperware back on.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #8 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 3:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
Howard,
Another thought regarding tuning the antenna. When I installed the CB on my '07 LT, I just rode the bike to the local truck stop CB place, sans tupperware, had them tune it, then rode it home and put the tupperware back on.
OK, but why does the tupperware have to be OFF to have the antenna tuned? If "tuning" is adding or subtracting length to/from the antenna, and if the antenna is entirely exposed (that is, outside the tupperware), what is the need to do it that way?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 4:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks, Channing and Matt.

PM sent to you, Matt.
The document is being sent right now. The file is 8 MB in size so it takes a while with my lowly DSL connection. Hopefully, your ISP has no file size limits!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #10 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 6:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
The document is being sent right now. The file is 8 MB in size so it takes a while with my lowly DSL connection. Hopefully, your ISP has no file size limits!
I received the file, Matt.

I've taken a quick read through it. Holy cow, that is a fine piece of documentation you've created. I'm going to print 2 copies and give to my dealer's service manager and the tech who is working on my LT.

Thank you.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #11 of 27 Old Nov 19th, 2011, 9:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
OK, but why does the tupperware have to be OFF to have the antenna tuned? If "tuning" is adding or subtracting length to/from the antenna, and if the antenna is entirely exposed (that is, outside the tupperware), what is the need to do it that way?
They have to plug the tester into the antenna and the plug will be under the tupperware (pigtail from the radio is short).

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #12 of 27 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 4:43 pm

for what it is worth someone builds a adapter for the goldwind that allows the installation of a frs gmrs radio, use it...............You will have nothing but trouble with the CB the frs gmrs will be trouble free...............Kieth

ps one of the reasons a cb is so expensive on a gold wing is it has to have 12 chokes installed to help hold down the interference, am is just a magnet for noise, if there is no noise present it will just make some to fill in the void.....
post #13 of 27 Old Nov 21st, 2011, 6:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
for what it is worth someone builds a adapter for the goldwind that allows the installation of a frs gmrs radio, use it...............You will have nothing but trouble with the CB the frs gmrs will be trouble free...............Kieth

ps one of the reasons a cb is so expensive on a gold wing is it has to have 12 chokes installed to help hold down the interference, am is just a magnet for noise, if there is no noise present it will just make some to fill in the void.....
We saw something like this at Sierra Electronics last summer. They sell a third-party trunk-mounted radio for the Gold Wing that you can plug an FRS/GMRS radio into. Best of both worlds?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #14 of 27 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 10:32 am

Not wanting to throw cold water...

GMRS has advantages that outweigh the CB. If you listen to music or the radio as you travel, the lack of hash and trash that break squelch on the GMRS radio is the only way to travel. I'm from the old CB ranks and I admire the aspects of both systems. I have found that the ability to make connections with another bike via CB was good as long as the bikes were close and I had the squelch turned up. The moment the bikes move away from each other, and the squelch had to be turned down, then Jimmie the Fritter from Tuscaloosa talking from his "oven in a box" on the flat lands of the State of Retirement would wash out the delicate sounds that The Floyd would offer. And I am sorry, but fifteen minutes of that crapola and I have a headache that even Advil can't tame.

Seriously... CB or GMRS? Do yourself and you riding buddy a favor and take every opportunity to get a GMRS system working between the bikes. You will like the no fiddling with dials and switches, a clear and understandable connection, and the quiet when you really want to hear that favorite CW song.

As for tuning? Installed a few GMRS units. Haven't had to tune anything... Just a plug and play experience...

just sayin'...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #15 of 27 Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

Mark,
Fair enough! Now... how does one install an FRS/GMRS radio on the LT? I'm looking for a finished, pro installation - something that would look as "nice" (subjectively) as the handlebar mount of the CB on an LT. Maybe RKA's tankbag mount solution is the way to go. (sample photo below)

Also - one of the reasons I was leaning towards CB was because it is a relatively easy install on a Gold Wing, which my friend has. Is there an FRS/GMRS solution for the Gold Wing?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Nov 22nd, 2011 at 8:21 pm.
post #16 of 27 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 10:26 am

On Wild Blue, the Kenwood (Kenny) is sitting in the oddy box. Don't get in there much once the tank bag is on the bike. I just plug it in, turn it on and forget it. I run an external GMRS antenna attached to the side of the rear trunk.

At one point I ran a DC line back to the rear trunk to power an ICOM radio. Never did work right, but I have grand plans to put the Kenny in the trunk and see if I get any different outcome.

Hoss had his old ride "Barbara" wired with the ICOM mounted high up on the front of a side bag. The nice part was, no one knew the bikes had radios and we never had to unstrap the units. I don't even turn my Kenny off when I am at lunk. Just let it run.

Can it be done on a Goldwing? If a Wing rider can't figger out how to get her done, then they's something seriously wrong with the... uh... bike? Gorilla velcro is your friend. It's what I used to mount my original ICOM high up on the upper clam shell portion of the trunk.

Most of the LT and RT riders I travel with have the radio with the stock antenna mounted on the BMR shelf or on a radio mount thing-a-ma-jig. Just strap the radio on and plug it in. Works very well...

I will say this... The Kenny I have at 4 watts and the mounted (base loaded) GMRS antenna have proved to be more than adequate when I run with large groups. I have been able to get a hold of folks well over two miles away in a city boulevard setting with no hash or trash. I am pretty sure that with a clear line of sight I can get 10 to 15 miles with this set-up. The only issue I have is I have to talk quietly. Everyone I run with says that the radio is LOUD! So I am almost relegated to a whisper when I key up.

BTW, my analog GPS ripped... in four places. So it's getting replaced with a BMW Nav unit. I feel so ashamed...

just sayin...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #17 of 27 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 5:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleMark
Not wanting to throw cold water...

GMRS has advantages that outweigh the CB. If you listen to music or the radio as you travel, the lack of hash and trash that break squelch on the GMRS radio is the only way to travel. I'm from the old CB ranks and I admire the aspects of both systems. I have found that the ability to make connections with another bike via CB was good as long as the bikes were close and I had the squelch turned up. The moment the bikes move away from each other, and the squelch had to be turned down, then Jimmie the Fritter from Tuscaloosa talking from his "oven in a box" on the flat lands of the State of Retirement would wash out the delicate sounds that The Floyd would offer. And I am sorry, but fifteen minutes of that crapola and I have a headache that even Advil can't tame.

Seriously... CB or GMRS? Do yourself and you riding buddy a favor and take every opportunity to get a GMRS system working between the bikes. You will like the no fiddling with dials and switches, a clear and understandable connection, and the quiet when you really want to hear that favorite CW song.

As for tuning? Installed a few GMRS units. Haven't had to tune anything... Just a plug and play experience...

just sayin'...
Some cold water back at ya.

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/2003/0815.htm

Another option is HAM for longer range mobile operations.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #18 of 27 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

That link doesn't work.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #19 of 27 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 7:06 pm

It did for me, Howard. The low-down is, no FRS/GMRS radio that they tested, at the time of testing, would get out for more than .8 mile, possibly longer in open country with line of sight. End result, use your cell phone. I'll try the link to see if it tells when the tests were done.

Originally published Aug. 15, 2003, updated May 28, 2011

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

Last edited by Lee510; Nov 23rd, 2011 at 7:11 pm. Reason: adding dates
post #20 of 27 Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 8:02 pm

Old Sol is starting to wake up after a slumber for three or four years.

As he becomes more active CB will be less useful as the long "skip" starts rolling in. Long skip is stations out side the USA.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #21 of 27 Old Nov 24th, 2011, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Lee.

I'm not interested in communicating miles down the road. I wanted a CB or FRS/GMRS for bike-to-bike communication. 0.8 miles isn't much more than the Sena Bluetooth headsets we have been using, and is more than enough range for our needs.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #22 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2011, 7:31 am

Howard, thought you had an ICOM? That has mulitple power settings for for different ranges. If you're going CB do you want to sell it (the ICOM)?

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #23 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2011, 8:30 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
That link doesn't work.
It works fine for me. Try searching for this string and you should find the article:
"Real World Ranges for CB, FRS, GMRS and MURS Radios"

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #24 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2011, 2:18 pm

That link worked for me too, but it went back in time 8 years, and their claim that 0.8 mile range that NO GMRS radio can exeed is inaccurate.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
post #25 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2011, 3:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
That link worked for me too, but it went back in time 8 years, and their claim that 0.8 mile range that NO GMRS radio can exeed is inaccurate.
Well, the original article was published in 2003, but it was last updated in 2011 so it is not accurate to suggest the article is 8 years old. And even if it were, radio waves haven't changed much in the last 8 years, or 80 for that matter.

And the article did not say that a GMRS radio couldn't exceed 0.8 miles, it said that IN THE TESTS HE DID no radio exceeded 0.8 miles. Big difference.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #26 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2011, 4:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
Howard, thought you had an ICOM? That has mulitple power settings for different ranges. If you're going CB do you want to sell it (the ICOM)?
Mike,

I do have an Icom. I hooked it up when I got it, was never able to make it work with my Baehr intercom, and it's been on the shelf since. When I get this all sorted out it may be for sale.

I was stymied by the Icom's programming interface, which (IIRC) is a series of beeps - no screen to look at. Too complicated. I want simple.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #27 of 27 Old Nov 25th, 2011, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Mike,

I do have an Icom. I hooked it up when I got it, was never able to make it work with my Baehr intercom, and it's been on the shelf since. When I get this all sorted out it may be for sale.

I was stymied by the Icom's programming interface, which (IIRC) is a series of beeps - no screen to look at. Too complicated. I want simple.
If/when its available I want it for my Brother inlaw so we can communicate on a pair of them. Years ago out west I had another brand but could hear somone else with the icoms from miles away, not tenths of miles. I know the no LCD screen on them seems primative but... they dont makem like they used to.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in