I Want to Go Wireless - Blue Tooth! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 11th, 2011, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

I Want to Go Wireless - Blue Tooth!

I'm tired of having to disconnect myself from all the wires I have running from the bike (07 RT) to my helmet.

I currently have a 2 way radio for bike to bike, earplugs to hear ipod, xm music, directions for the street pilot gps, and most importantly the radar detector. I am running everything though an autocom set up that was installed about 3 years ago.

Is there an alternative set up that ya'll know of where I can get all that into my helmet via blue tooth? This weekend I was riding solo and decided not to plug anything in. It was such a pleasure at rests or gas stops to just step off of the bike without having to untangle and unplug myself.

Just wondering what the collective wisdom is on swapping out my technology. Thanks in advance.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 12:15 am

Re: I Want to Go Wireless - Blue Tooth!

Cardo Scala G4
http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/ser...ider-G4/Detail
These worked good bike to bike and phone, have not tried the other features.
Will connect up to 4 headsets.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 5:27 am

Sounds like you ride with a passenger some of the time. If you do and they listen to your XM through your wired system then you'd be better off to keep what you got. I found out that bluetooth has limitations at this time that would prohibit the passenger from hearing anything that the rider hears, at least wirelessly. There are some wireless systems out that have a cable that would go between the rider and passenger that would allow passenger to hear everything but if I had to do that I might as well stay with what I got. With the wireless system the passengers headset can be paired with another music source such as a phone or a bluetoothed ipod. For me this is a deal breaker since my SO listens to our XM and to the GPS. If you ride solo then the wireless systems are the way to go. I've been keeping my eyes and ears open in the hopes that someday soon someone will come out with a wireless system that will do everything without any wires whatsoever.

Stephen

2006 R1200RT
2010 Unigo Trailer w/Dauntless Hitch

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 1:55 pm

My Zumo 665 through a J&M elite BT headset works great. Stereo Bluetooh, excellent fidelty and volume and you the firmware is upgradeable with the J&M. Their newest firmware allows you to pair Driver's headset tp Zumo and a phone to Zumo nad a passenger head set to the driver's headset.

When I bought mine you had to go hardwired from passenger to driver so my wife's headset is not blutooth capable but must use a cable to my helmet We can talk to each other, no VOX complications and she hears all I do! including XM. Works Great!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 2:12 pm

Also take a look at the SENA system, they now have a unit called SR10 that can take inputs from various devices http://www.senabluetooth.com/ it might be what you are looking for!

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #6 of 12 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 7:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdan451
Sounds like you ride with a passenger some of the time.
Thanks for the reply, but I never ride with a passenger (one of the formulas for us to a happy marriage ) so I don't have to worry about that part of the equation.

Thanks again.

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security." - Declaration of Independence
<center>
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 7:58 pm

What helmet do you ride with?

post #8 of 12 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper
Also take a look at the SENA system, they now have a unit called SR10 that can take inputs from various devices http://www.senabluetooth.com/ it might be what you are looking for!
Wow - looks like just the ticket I need. Evidently, San Diego BMW is a distributor, next time I am in the area I will stop by and see what all is needed.

Thanks again.

<center>
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 8:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
What helmet do you ride with?
Arai Corsair - about 4 years old.

<center>
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 12th, 2011, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopaca
Arai Corsair - about 4 years old.
A Zumo 665 and this and you are set! the sound is excellent!

But you may be using some other source????

http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....-EBLU629EDR-FF

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=30

If you decide the J&M route is what you want, I'll turn you on to where i got my stuff at a discount and the installed it in my helmet too for cheap!

although I think a Shoei is a lot more difficult than an Arai!

Last edited by Atomicman; Oct 12th, 2011 at 8:53 pm.
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 10:06 am

You will spend a lot of money, and get very frustrated trying to use a bluetooth system with the components you listed. Get very specific with each item before you dive into the bluetooth .........

1. Bike to bike frs/Gmrs
2. zumo
3. radar
4. phone

I know bluetooth will handle a couple of these devices but do not know of one that will handle all of them. Kieth
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 25th, 2011, 10:23 am

Take a look at the SENA SR10, it allows you to hook all those into it which then is linked to your headset (Sena SMH10).
I don't own the SR10..& am not a stock holder of Sena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieth
You will spend a lot of money, and get very frustrated trying to use a bluetooth system with the components you listed. Get very specific with each item before you dive into the bluetooth .........

1. Bike to bike frs/Gmrs
2. zumo
3. radar
4. phone

I know bluetooth will handle a couple of these devices but do not know of one that will handle all of them. Kieth

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in