COMMUNICATIONS FOR 2008 K1200LT motorrad navigator 3 help! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

COMMUNICATIONS FOR 2008 K1200LT motorrad navigator 3 help!

Hi guys, I'm new to the site. Also, a new BMW owner. Was wondering if anyone has the perfect answer for me. I bought a 2008 K1200lt with the stock communacations option built into it I guess. Also, it has the BMW Motorrad navigtator 3. (this is a blue tooth one i guess and has a built in phone interface) I am trying to figure out how I can get the functionality of the gps/phone to work along with my stock comm system on the bike. I'm starting to think this is not possible. I've done limited research on the various autocom systems ect.... just not sure how I can make it all work. Money is not an object, just want it to all work and work well. I don't mind cables and would rather not have to charge a blue tooth headset anyway.... one final issue is, I'm am very unclear as to how Garmin can make a GPS for the BMW and not have it pipe into the stock k1200 comm system? or does it? I know the wireing harness fot the GPS has a special plug this allows the bike to power it... can you only use it via bluetooth? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

GABE KERR
GRAND JUCNTION, COLORADO.

2008 BMW K1200LT
2007 GSX-R 750R
2000 HARLEY ULTRA CLASSIC
2010 KLX-450R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 3rd, 2011, 5:08 pm

Re: COMMUNICATIONS FOR 2008 K1200LT motorrad navigator 3 help!

If you have an '08 it should have the Voice II intercom installed. It's in the "glove box" over top of the single disk CD slot. It's a knob with LED lights, etc. If you have that.....you will have wiring in the bike for wired headsets. There will be flip cap plugs front and rear with a 6 pin female connector under the caps. J&M as well as BMW sell headsets to be installed in your helmets.

If you have all of the above, you can get things to work.

It's not clear from your post....but if you're trying to play the GPS audio through the bike's speakers, unfortunately, BMW's wiring harness did not make that possible. You can hear the GPS audio through the intercom, as well as your music source, etc.

Note that if you have a generation cell phone with a wired headset plug, there's a jumper wire that you can plug your cell phone into the front of the intercom and connect to the bike's intercom that way. It also requires that your phone allow a setting to go "off hook" automatically after a few rings. Some phones have that feature.

There are manuals for the audio system and the intercom, that hopefully still came with your bike when you bought it. If not, they can be purchased, and would be very useful in getting your controls sorted out.

If you don't have the Voice II intercom, you'll need to install one or have an after market unit wired in.

Hopefully others will reply making something clearer than I did.

Good luck! You have a wonderful bike!

JD

Jeff Dunkle
Ocala, FL
2000 LT - Motorvation Formula II
1995 R100GS
2004 Burgman 650 (wife's)

Last edited by Roamrider; Oct 3rd, 2011 at 5:16 pm.
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 4th, 2011, 5:27 pm Thread Starter

JD, Thanks for your information. I do have the Voice II installed on the bike in the glove box. I do have the owners manuals to eveything but the BMW Motorrad Navigator III GPS. It makes sence that the GPS would allow you to hear turn by turn audio through the bikes stock system/ wired head set. This might be much easier to figure out if I had at least one wired headset to test with. I just didn't want to buy one and not be happy with it being wired instead of blue tooth. I am familiar with J&M for headset/helmets. I guess I will go that route. Maybe the BWM Motorrad Navigator III will also allow blue tooth input from my I phone and output through the bikes stock audio/intercom system. I will hope for the best. Thanks again.

GABE KERR
GRAND JUCNTION, COLORADO.

2008 BMW K1200LT
2007 GSX-R 750R
2000 HARLEY ULTRA CLASSIC
2010 KLX-450R

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 8th, 2012, 11:28 am

Gabe,

I have the same year/model bike as yours. I've been looking for this solution too. I don't want to buy a box for the side of my helmet...mainly because I spent a lot of money for the Com system and feel I need to get my moneys worth. What did you end up doing? Did you get the NAV directions to come across the tethered connection?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in