Well, Bluetooth is Evidently Not for Me - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Sep 21st, 2011, 12:21 am Thread Starter

Well, Bluetooth is Evidently Not for Me

I started picking some noise up in the LT since installing the Jensen 2212 radio some time back. Love the radio and the various ways go get music to me while riding but in interfacing it to the J&M with the RCA plugs and cables there was both ignition and alternator noise. Thought I probably need a change for the intercom.

Some of our club members have gone to the Sena Blue tooth headsets. They look really great and they and wives were happy with them. So I jumped on the wagon and while I waited for the units to come in, I removed the J&M CB and all the related wiring from the PPT switch on the handlebar to the Fire Stick antenna and custom made mount on the side of the trunk; That took the better part of a couple of days with all the Tupperware I had to remove and then put back. In hindsight I should have just left that on the bike and been sure I liked the Blue tooth units.

Then the units came in. Great looking pieces of work and they linked up fine with each other and found the Blackberry phones fine and we made some phone calls. But with open faced helmets there was an echo in the intercom and the sound wasn't loud enough to hear each other traveling along right fast,, about 75 most of the time.

After considerable thought, I decided to return the Bluetooth units to RevZilla and agreed to take the 15% hit because they were used. I had no problem with that at all. Glad to be able to get some of the money back.

I called Sierra Electronics where the J&M was purchased about 9 months ago and talked with a tech there about the noise and he wanted to know how I had interfaced the Jensen with the J&M, and there lay the problem with the noise. It was a Ground Loop interference induced sound. He tole me I could get one of his for about $70 or one from Radio Shack on the cheap. I looked at the Shack one and just didn't have much trust in the look of it. Called Sierra back to see just how to hook the RS unit up to the J&M and he started telling me about how they hook up their units. As he described their Ground Loop adapter, a bright light flashed in my brain. I remember ordering by mistake a part that went to a Harley to take sound right off the speakers. Told him what I had and he says, "That's our Ground Fault unit!" That made my day I tell you.

Took about an hour to get the Tupperware off the front, take off the handlebars so I could get the front of the instrument panel off with out damaging the new panel paint job and then soldering the Isolator into the speakers and checking it out.

Cranked up the LT and put on the Nolan N102 and tried the music through the J&M, the intercom and the CB and there is no noise at all. Nice and clear and strong audio and a big plus, you get all the base and highs from the new Jensen 2212 radio as the headsets are really high quality from J&M.

So I'm a happy rider again with music, CB, weather band and intercom. Ready to ride, but I'm back to cords plugged into helmets and no cell phone interface. But for that I get clear strong intercom, music and CB. And I don't have to remember to charge the batteries on the units and do the link up's for intercom and bike to bike. At my age, less is a lot more and there are fewer and fewer people I want to call or have call me when I'm out enjoying God's wonders.

Ride Safe

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in