Scala Rider or J&M factory headset? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Scala Rider or J&M factory headset?

Hi guys, having a dilema choosing between a Scala Rider and a J&M original hook up for the `07 K1200LT. Question is, can you hear all the stuff on the Scala Rider? (CD, Radio,Navigation,MP3 via Bluetooth thru the BMW Motorrad Navigator 3?) or just what they say on the Scala website about buying the one with radio if you want radio and plugging a cable from the ipod to the Scala? and pairing the navi to it. I must say I am very confused about this. The wife says she hates the wiring hanging around, but you will need two sets of wiring for the ipod, one for sound and one for charging if is low on battery on a long trip, so what`s the point, instead with a harwired charger for the ipod and a mini plug from the ipod to the aux imput on the radio hiding in the pocket. I thought I needed the original J&M to get all of the features of the bike. Any help clarifiying this will be MUST apreciated. THANK YOU ALL.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.

Last edited by mechanic; Sep 12th, 2011 at 1:36 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Re: Scala Rider or J&M factory headset?

Here is how I went about routing everything for the Scala. My GPS and the communications system works fine together. Bluetooth music devices will only pair to ONE headset. SO . . .
I bought the little pioneer Satellite radio that takes the micro SD card. I then increased the loudness of all the songs by using a program called MP3 gain.
It will broadcast the mp3's on the FM band, but the transmitter is so weak that the scala's are too far away to pick up the signal. You can wire in an FM booster which increases the signal strength and then you can pick it up in the scala's. If you do that, now you can hear in the scala:
The same music on the FM receiver through both headsets.
Communicate with your passenger.
Get directions from your GPS.

Hope this helps
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Oh, this is all with the Scala Rider G4.

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 3:00 pm

A little note on the satellite radio stations coming into the headsets:
Satellite radio volume is LOW. Patched into the stereo at speeds in excess of 60 mph you can forget about hearing anything. It is also not much better through the scala's. As far as I know, there is really no way around this.
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockMonkey
A little note on the satellite radio stations coming into the headsets:
Satellite radio volume is LOW. Patched into the stereo at speeds in excess of 60 mph you can forget about hearing anything. It is also not much better through the scala's. As far as I know, there is really no way around this.
Sure there is. Purchase one of these:
http://boostaroo.com/store/product.p...cat=249&page=1

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic
Hi guys, having a dilema choosing between a Scala Rider and a J&M original hook up for the `07 K1200LT. Question is, can you hear all the stuff on the Scala Rider? (CD, Radio,Navigation,MP3 via Bluetooth thru the BMW Motorrad Navigator 3?) or just what they say on the Scala website about buying the one with radio if you want radio and plugging a cable from the ipod to the Scala? and pairing the navi to it. I must say I am very confused about this. The wife says she hates the wiring hanging around, but you will need two sets of wiring for the ipod, one for sound and one for charging if is low on battery on a long trip, so what`s the point, instead with a harwired charger for the ipod and a mini plug from the ipod to the aux imput on the radio hiding in the pocket. I thought I needed the original J&M to get all of the features of the bike. Any help clarifiying this will be MUST apreciated. THANK YOU ALL.
Hello Ricardo,

I'll tell you my experience with VOICE vs the Sena SMH Bluetooth intercom which I believe is similar, but without the radio. I had a 2003 LT without a factory intercom and tried a few different kinds of intercoms, including some cheapies, and then a wired Intaride that was pretty good. We got used to some features like shared audio, and VOX. I had problems with cables and connectors fairly often and usually had to mess with it at least once during any long trip (over 2K miles.)

I then went to the Sena BT. The Sena works wonderfully as an intercom, loud and clear and without wires. However, the VOX is nearly worthless and triggers constantly at any speed over 60 with my wife's Shark Evoline, if it is 3/4 mode, which it is more often than full face. So we would use the manual mode and push the button headset when we wanted to talk. This had a delay of 3 to five seconds.

To listen to the bike audio on both headsets, I bought two bluetooth dongles and a splitter and sent the bikes audio into both dongles and paired one with one helmet and the other with the other helmet. This worked most of the time, but occasionally we would lose sync with one or the other dongle and would have to raise the seat and reset. I wired the dongles to the bikes supply so they did not need to be charged. The headsets would go for about 8 hours. We often ride for longer than that on a trip, and would then use the power outlet adapters to continue with the headsets plugged in. We would have to remember to charge the headsets every night.

Recently I got a 2009 LT with the VOICE and BMW Navigator. Also, someone decided my shed would look really cool on fire. Since I needed to my wife's Sena anyway, (and her helmet.) I decided to try the voice and took her new helmet and my older helmet to J and M and had them install headsets. We took our first trip with the VOICE and the J and M headsets a week or so ago. It was a 9 day, 4000 mile trip from Tucson to Minnesota and back. For us, VOICE is the answer. We find sharing audio is important, as we like the same music, and enjoy laughing at Satellite radio comedy. The VOX just worked, only falsely triggering when we hit really gusty winds in Nebraska and Kansas. The sound was good and we both could hear both each other and music clearly. The only con, was that she did not hear the Nav instructions and sometimes would try to talk when the GPS lady was yelling at me. GPS lady takes priority. My wife was not completely sold on that. I did not try to use a phone with the system. I don't think it works well with the VOICE.

So, depending on what is important to you this is what I found. I loved the no wires of the bluetooth, and it does easily integrate with the BMW Nav as well as a cell phone. Ours sounded good, and communication was easy, although there was a delay. Sharing audio was a bit of a pain and required buying extra parts, and didn't work as reliably as hoped. There were times at the end of the day when I ended up wired anyway. Charging is a bit of a chore at the end of the day, but not a real big deal.

The VOICE just worked really well for us. Shared audio from the bike worked easily and reliably. We figured out easy ways to plug at stops and starts and it became second nature. We did lose cell phone function with the VOICE. I did buy a replacement for my Wife's Sena as well, but will now not use it.

Hope this helps.

Dale

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dale. I`m still leaning towards the VOICE and J&M factory stuff. Just have to convince the wife about dealing with the hanging wire, that`s all. I just have to tell her that the ipod still has to use a hardwire set of ear phones and a harwire charger if it gets low. That`s two wires hanging instead of the one for her J&M setup.

2007 K1200LT STORM GREY V.O.I.C.E. II COMM. MOTORRAD NAV lll. 2004 SUZUKY HAYABUSA WITH NITROUS AND MORE.
post #8 of 9 Old Sep 12th, 2011, 10:46 pm

I only have one data point....I own the Scala Multi-Set Q3 and love them!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #9 of 9 Old Sep 13th, 2011, 9:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Sure there is. Purchase one of these:
http://boostaroo.com/store/product.p...cat=249&page=1
Thanks! There are a couple of stations I would really like to be able to listen to at highway speeds. I'm going to look into this!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in