Bluetooth - am I doing something wrong - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 7:36 pm Thread Starter

Bluetooth - am I doing something wrong

I can't seem to resolve this and appreciate any suggestions.

If I pair my HTC Touch phone to my Zumo 665, I can place calls through the GPS no problem. If I walk away from the Zumo with the phone, it reconnects when I return and works correctly. I get the phone icon on the gps start page and can make and receive calls using the Zumo spkr and mic.

If I pair my Scala G4 to the Zumo I can make and receive calls through the headset. If I walk away from the bike and then return all appears to be working well. I get XM, MP3, spoken directions etc through the headset. But frequently if I attempt to answer or initiate a call , the other party can hear me but I get no audio in the headset. (if I am listening to music at the time, the music is muted as usual).

The only way I have found to correct this is to remove the G4 device from the bluetooth page on the Zumo, restart the Zumo and then have the Zumo rediscover the G4. I understand the the Zumo and the G4 are supposed to reconnect automatically once they have been paired. ( and it does seem to do so except for the phone )

Software for both the Zumo and G4 is up to date.

I understand the safety issues around using a phone while riding but at this time it is important that I can be reached from home.

Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 11:27 pm

Re: Bluetooth - am I doing something wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWheels
I can't seem to resolve this and appreciate any suggestions.

If I pair my HTC Touch phone to my Zumo 665, I can place calls through the GPS no problem. If I walk away from the Zumo with the phone, it reconnects when I return and works correctly. I get the phone icon on the gps start page and can make and receive calls using the Zumo spkr and mic.

If I pair my Scala G4 to the Zumo I can make and receive calls through the headset. If I walk away from the bike and then return all appears to be working well. I get XM, MP3, spoken directions etc through the headset. But frequently if I attempt to answer or initiate a call , the other party can hear me but I get no audio in the headset. (if I am listening to music at the time, the music is muted as usual).

The only way I have found to correct this is to remove the G4 device from the bluetooth page on the Zumo, restart the Zumo and then have the Zumo rediscover the G4. I understand the the Zumo and the G4 are supposed to reconnect automatically once they have been paired. ( and it does seem to do so except for the phone )

Software for both the Zumo and G4 is up to date.

I understand the safety issues around using a phone while riding but at this time it is important that I can be reached from home.

Peter
Hey Peter, I have my Samsung Wave paired to my Nav IV (Garmin 660) same as you. I have my G4 paired to the Nav IV. All is fine, my G4 connects and reconnects no problem. Not sure why yours doesn't.

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 Old Aug 4th, 2011, 8:04 am

What you are describing is a software problem with Bluetooth profiles. Without getting too deeply technical I think the phone, which has several profiles, is taking over the "Hands Free Profile" from your headset.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

The fix is tricky and dependent on the sequence in which you pair and the devices themselves.

Try pairing the headset first (I think you said that works) then the phone. Turn off the phone's "advanced audio profile" if you don't play music through it.

David Falkenstein

Cohesive Technology - seamless is everything

P: (603) 283-7624

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 5th, 2011, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. The only profile listed on the phone now is "Hands Free". I removed the G4 and the phone devices from the Zumo bluetooth page and paired them anew. I paired the headset first and then the phone. All is working correctly now and I hope to test fully during a ride on Tuesday.
Cheers
Peter
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 8th, 2011, 6:55 pm Thread Starter

I carefully paired the G4 headset to the Zumo 665 and then the phone to the gps and went for a ride today. The initial results were encouraging but about an hour into the ride I was unable to make a call home. I turned off the GPS and then turned it back on. I was then able to make a call. A little while later, I tried making another call and it appeared to fail. But I have since learned that the call was actually made but I was unable to hear the ringing tone when the call was initiated and could not hear the other party answering. They could hear me.

I would like to at least isolate the problem in some way. I suspect that if I contact the phone, gps and g4 support people they will simply stand in a circle facing inwards and blame the person on their left.

Any help will be very appreciated.
Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in