Autocom noise problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 9th, 2006, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

Red face Autocom noise problems

Hi to all, spring's almost here.
I'm having some irritating problems with my seven pin autocom system that I hoped someone else may have some input on. I am using a Garmin Rhino 120 as the radio entity on my system only because the guy I ride with most of the time uses the same. Here are the problems I am experiencing: 1)After I speak and the mike closes, there is a single loud "chirp" noise which can be heard by me and the person receiving. This does not happen when the other person speaks. 2) When I receive a cell phone call, after about 8 seconds into the call a very loud ringing noise occurs, which makes continueing with the call almost impossible. Neither of these problems seem to change regardless of which position the ptt switch is in or if the ptt button is being used. 3)When I power the unit off the map light circuit, there is a lot of RFI which can be heard by others when I am transmitting. The RFI is engine speed related, ie as I accelerate, the noise gets louder. Not a clicking, but a whining.
I haven't tried using another radio, but sometimes it works fine with no problems at all.
Any help would be appreciated as I am just about to ride to Texas Hill country and Big Bend and this will be very annoying.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 1:03 am

I'm an "audio guy" . . . and, a "phone and computer guy". No matter what job I'm doing, the first thing I always suspect is the cable. Sounds to me like the cable going from your Rino TO the AutoCom is bad. Either it's not shielded properly . . . or it does not have a GLI (ground loop isolator) built into it.
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:40 am

I have a Rhino 120 and the bike power is a major problem while sending (only) and nothing to date has fixed it. To spare my co-riders the noise, I just operate on battery power. I have a SPIII so I don't use the GPS function on the Rhino. I don't know about the chirp but you might try swapping radios with your friend to see if it is in the radio setup. It can get strange with all the possible radio setups available. I did have a bad cable to the Rhino that had a short which allowed me to hear but I could not transmit. The cable was exchanged at no cost other than shipping.

If you find an isolator or choke combination that will clear the power cable to the Rhino, I would love to hear about it myself as that is the only thing negative I have found about the unit.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 10th, 2006, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Smile Noise

Thanks for the input guys, Its saturday tomorrow and that means I will have some time to mess with this problem. Let you know if I find anything. Its supposed to be almost 60deg. tomorrow so it will be hard not to just climb on and ride instead.
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 11th, 2006, 10:23 pm Thread Starter

Update

I think I solved one of the three problems. The chirp that occurred after I spoke was probably that the radio setting "roger tone" was enabled. The ringing that occurs when speaking on a cell phone through the system comes and goes without any consistency. This did not happen to me but did happen to the guy that I was riding with. I think the Rhino is pretty quirky and with so many settings it may be the root problem for these intermittent problems which are exaggerated by operator error.
Hope your weekend is great!
DM
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 3:36 pm

get a new riding partner

Don't blame your goddamn problems on your riding partner. If it wasn't for him you'd still be stuck at some goddamn intersection trying to figure out whether to turn left or turn right! You wonks spend more goddamn time trying to figure out self-created problems than any other biker group. Strip all that goddamn crap off your bike and try to remember why you bought the goddamn thing in the first place...to kiss civilization goodbye!
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 3:58 pm

Autocom makes a special noise reduction (audio) cord. I have not had any problems since.

Mike
2005 BMW R1200GS
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 5:13 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Uh oh, looks like Joe's got some competition . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot2949
...to kiss civilization goodbye!
Yes, but in comfort and with convenience. LT stands for Luxury Tourer, you know. If that doesn't float your boat, you could always buy a Hog and strip off all the unnecessary bits.

Or just ride one of these:

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 5:30 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot2949
Don't blame your goddamn problems on your riding partner. If it wasn't for him you'd still be stuck at some goddamn intersection trying to figure out whether to turn left or turn right! You wonks spend more goddamn time trying to figure out self-created problems than any other biker group. Strip all that goddamn crap off your bike and try to remember why you bought the goddamn thing in the first place...to kiss civilization goodbye!
Oh lovely, our old friend, the banned Archw is back. But not for long.

What do I smell? Might that be a little ozone?

Gone.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 8:11 pm

Alrighty then - did you wipe that evil grin off your face just when you clicked the trigger, or did you savor the moment!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in