Bluetooth request - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Bluetooth request

Would it be too hard to have a device like this?

power - 12vdc input - no batteries needed - supplied from motorcycle

input - 3.5mm stereo male plug input (that could be hooked to the existing speakers on a motorcycle)

Output - Dual channel (for 2 riders at the same time) Bluetooth 2.0 or better with stereo output.

Pairing that does not forget what headset it is connected to.
Turned on when the 12vdc turns on so that it can be located remotely.

I think you would sell many of these to the motorcycle community.

I know of a few that could be sold right away including me.

Does anyone know of a such device??????

Garry

Follow my South America ride at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 3:44 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Bluetooth request

All But the 12V from the bike, The Scala G4 does everything else plus you can have 4 units paired together. I've had mine turned on & plugged into my IPod on my old LT for over 12 hours, now I have it on my GTL (Hardwired to bikes speakers). I just charge it up over night for the next day. I'm not sure if you can use the G4 while it is being charged or not but I'll try that & if you can it would be easy to plug the charger into the bike.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
All But the 12V from the bike, The Scala G4 does everything else plus you can have 4 units paired together. I've had mine turned on & plugged into my IPod on my old LT for over 12 hours, now I have it on my GTL (Hardwired to bikes speakers). I just charge it up over night for the next day. I'm not sure if you can use the G4 while it is being charged or not but I'll try that & if you can it would be easy to plug the charger into the bike.
I have the Scala G4's need the device for BT. Would prefer to not have a battery as they can't transmit when charging. What type of BT dongle are you using with the G4? I have a BTAV101 but it won't pair with the G4.

http://www.dinodirect.com/bluetooth-...r-btav101.html

This one looks like it may work. It still works while charging.

http://www.miccus.com/products/blubridge-mini-jack

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

Last edited by garry_kramer; Aug 1st, 2011 at 5:02 pm.

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 5:10 pm

I'm not using any dongles. I just plug it into the bike with the 3.5 mm cable that came with it & go. I have my phone paired to it plus my wives G4 so we can talk. When I ride with another Friend with a G4 we pair them also.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 6:37 pm

Garry are you trying to set up something so your passenger can listen to the bike audio via BT at the same time you do? It's a great idea and I would want one.

Peter
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWheels
Garry are you trying to set up something so your passenger can listen to the bike audio via BT at the same time you do? It's a great idea and I would want one.

Peter
Yes, I am going to wire in a 3.5mm jack into the speaker wires then plug in a "Y" adapter then plug in 2 BT transmitters so that we can bypass the GTL limitation of only 1 non BT device to the bike. I'll need a 5vdc power supply to power the BT adapters also. Also when you use the BT on the GTL it completely shuts off the speakers. I think the BluBridge one might work. I have an email into them to see if 2 BT transmitters will work side by side.

I would like to hook the interface under the seat where the Alpine box is, so if anyone knows the speaker colour codes for the unit that would help. Otherwise I will have to take some tupperware off to get to the speaker wires at the speakers.

katnapinn, did you take any pictures of the wires and colours or note the colours when you did your mod?

Does anyone know the correct wiring of the 3.5mm plug? ie: left channel, right channel and common,

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

Last edited by garry_kramer; Aug 1st, 2011 at 9:24 pm.
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 9:03 pm

Gary,

The SENA units have a 3.5mm female plug on the mount that will do what you want + they can be charged while in use.

You can see the small access plug on the backside of the mount.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

And SENA just updated there unit to enable firmware updates, (they just released an update to resolve some pairing issues with some smart phones & music issues.) I also understand that they are going to release an update so 4 units can talk the same as the G4.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #8 of 15 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper
Gary,

The SENA units have a 3.5mm female plug on the mount that will do what you want + they can be charged while in use.

You can see the small access plug on the backside of the mount.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/product..._menu=overview

And SENA just updated there unit to enable firmware updates, (they just released an update to resolve some pairing issues with some smart phones & music issues.) I also understand that they are going to release an update so 4 units can talk the same as the G4.
I want to mount the 2 BT units on the bike to transmit TO the G4. The G4 has the same wired input you are talking about. If I have a BT headset why would I want to plug a wire into it?

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #9 of 15 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 9:35 pm

Pin Out http://pinouts.ru/connector/3_pin_st...onnector.shtml.

Sorry about the plug into the headset....i miss read your requirement.

As to the Blue tooth dongles you have in another post, I have the first one & it works but is hard to get to pair sometimes due to the small button & also not being able to charge while in use is also a draw back as you mention.

I also have had some issues when trying to get 2 BT devices connected located on the LT. Have found that you have to power on the devices, then one headset & let it connect then the 2 headset for it's BT devices.

As for 5V I am using one of those small cigarette device with USB that plugs into the a cigarette plug, I'm sure you could plug it apart & hard wire it without any problem.

http://reviews.cablesunlimited.com/p...to-5V-USB.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_kramer
Yes, I am going to wire in a 3.5mm jack into the speaker wires then plug in a "Y" adapter then plug in 2 BT transmitters so that we can bypass the GTL limitation of only 1 non BT device to the bike. I'll need a 5vdc power supply to power the BT adapters also. Also when you use the BT on the GTL it completely shuts off the speakers. I think the BluBridge one might work. I have an email into them to see if 2 BT transmitters will work side by side.

I would like to hook the interface under the seat where the Alpine box is, so if anyone knows the speaker colour codes for the unit that would help. Otherwise I will have to take some tupperware off to get to the speaker wires at the speakers.

katnapinn, did you take any pictures of the wires and colours or note the colours when you did your mod?

Does anyone know the correct wiring of the 3.5mm plug? ie: left channel, right channel and common,

Garry

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

post #10 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 1:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighopper
Pin Out http://pinouts.ru/connector/3_pin_st...onnector.shtml.

Sorry about the plug into the headset....i miss read your requirement.

As to the Blue tooth dongles you have in another post, I have the first one & it works but is hard to get to pair sometimes due to the small button & also not being able to charge while in use is also a draw back as you mention.

I also have had some issues when trying to get 2 BT devices connected located on the LT. Have found that you have to power on the devices, then one headset & let it connect then the 2 headset for it's BT devices.

As for 5V I am using one of those small cigarette device with USB that plugs into the a cigarette plug, I'm sure you could plug it apart & hard wire it without any problem.

http://reviews.cablesunlimited.com/p...to-5V-USB.html
Thanks for the plug link.The second BT dongle (BluBridge) will work when plugged into power.
Got an email back from BluBridge people, they say that 2 units will work off the same input to 2 different headsets. Asked if the will turn on by themselves when power is added to them, waiting for an answer on that one.

I have one of these in my top box already with 2 USB outlets. For $15 I think I can tear it apart and separate the USB side to make it smaller for the power.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

Last edited by garry_kramer; Aug 2nd, 2011 at 2:02 am.
post #11 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 6:31 am

Quote:
Garry
Garry no pics but here is the color code.

Left speaker
yellow / Black stripe +
Yellow / red stripe -

Right speaker
Blue / Black stripe + (mine was solid blue no stripe but dealer manual shows a stripe)
Blue / red stripe -

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 7:21 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Garry no pics but here is the color code.

Left speaker
yellow / Black stripe +
Yellow / red stripe -

Right speaker
Blue / Black stripe + (mine was solid blue no stripe but dealer manual shows a stripe)
Blue / red stripe -
Thanks Steve, Any chance of showing the manual on the radio wiring?

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

post #13 of 15 Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 5:20 pm

Quote:

Garry

3 - Ground
2 - Right
1 - Left

Also known as:
3 - Sleeve
2 - Ring
1 - Tim

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 10:17 am

Doesn't everyone own a phone with Bluetooth and media playback these days? Why are we still talking about "bike audio" in 2011??

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 19th, 2011, 7:47 am Thread Starter

Smile Re: Bluetooth request working

All done installing the BT to the speakers. There are a couple limitations. The music out the BT doggle is delayed about 3/4 sec. which is no real problem, just turn down the radio and turn up the headset. The other is a limitation of the G4. I can only attach 1 BT at a time to the headset. each work great indipendantley but not together. this means I can attache the GPS or the radio, but not both. This is OK for the passenger as they only need the radio, but not so much for the rider. So what I did is order a BT receiver for the BT transmitter and will plug the receiver into the hardwire port of the G4 and everything should be OK.

BT transmitter: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...84.m1439.l2649

BT receiver : http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...84.m1439.l2649

Garry

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2012 RED KLR650

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in